Confused - SR or manual mode question

I'm confused. I keep hearing references to turning off SR and working in manual mode instead (for instance at the Karen Mctavish class I took in Dec. and at most of the sessions I took at Innovations). However I do not understand why I would do that. 1st I made sure I got a machine with SR so that my stitches would look great. 2nd it allows me to pause and think. I think my work is looking pretty good with SR on, but when I try Manual mode everything I try look awefull. So would someone more experienced explain this to me.

Personally, I think it is wise to get to know your machine in both modes. Each has it's place. I agree that for most work I keep the SR on,but when I get to small stipple work or certain other small work, the Millie runs much better and easier in manual mode. I think it is good to practice both and find what works for you. When you start practicing manual mode, you will need to find the balance of what speed you set on your machine and how fast/slow you quilt (move your head). As you become more comfortable with this, you will find that you will be able to do quite nicely. I tend to set my speed quite low when in manual mode (8 - 10). This allows me to move the machine a little slower. For me, the stitches are short and I am able to work reasonably well. The next issue is getting used to stopping the machine quickly when you need to and learning to start moving the machine quickly but smoothly when you want to continue stitching. All of this just takes time and practice. Enjoy the ride and continue to try new things!!

I consider the stitch regulator as a tool to use when I need to. I don't use SR all of the time, really only when I think it will work best for me with the type of quilting I'm doing. For example, tiny designs such as block work or when I am using my rulers or templates and for stitch in ditch, etc. that is when I am glad to have my SR tool. I enjoy quilting without SR and whenever I can, I quilt sans SR. I think for free motion designs and pantographs, it's easier to quilt without it because there is no drag!

SR is an "option" or a choice we can make. Use it when you need to or want to. Don't rely on it 100% of the time. Sometimes sans SR is better than using SR. :)

I have switched off the Stitch regulator to sew the Worlds Biggest Hexagon Quilt. I am doing a free hand design over the whole quilt so it is very reptitious but I am really trying to keep my stitch length consistent.

It is a lot easier to sew and I can now see that I move too fast when using the SR.

I am sure I will be more confident at the end of the quilt but there will definitely be times when I will want to use it.

Lyn

I am only a novice, and use the SR mode mostly. Though when I quilt pebbles and small stippling I also find my quilting looks better with the SR off. I also find when trying feathers I get a nicer shape with the SR off. For me though I still need to find that happy medium to get my stitches more even.

I tell my students to practice with the stitch regulator off, then use it when they are doing a customer quilt. I think they become much more fluid, learn better control and get smoother curves after they get over the shock of turning on the machine and having to start moving! It takes practice, but also builds a lot of confidence.

I don't use the SR when I'm doing small fillers. I think it's easier to do them and they look less choppy w/o the SR.

Hi Ardelle,

I know a lot of great quilters don't use the SR, but I use it all the time, even for tiny fillers. I paid for a Stitch Regulated machine, and I'm going to use it! I can't think far enough ahead to keep my stitching consistent, so the SR has taken a lot of stress out of my quilting. I'm like you. I need to stop and think, OFTEN!

Different strokes for different folks. Do what works for YOU, not what everyone else says they do. :)

I actually use the sound of the motor to hear a "rhythm" to my designs and find it helps with consistency.

DeLoa told me to practice in manual mode for 10 minutes a day, so you get used to it. For now, I like stitch regulated because I stop and start so much. It's easy for me to get confused when trying some of these new ideas. I've heard other quilters say that it's easier to run the machine in manual, too. But I like my SR.

And I don't practice 10 minutes a day in manual because it takes me days to finish a freehand quilt. I'm sure as I get more experience I'll try things in manual because I like to fly.

OOOh yes, MaryBeth, I love to do the longarm feathers without SR mode. So smooth. But I am still a little "iffy" with the bump bump feathers and need the SR mode for those. :)

Ardelle, everyone,,,Hey, y'all do whatever feels most comfortable to you, whether its SR or not...! It's nice to have choices, though. isn't it? Happy quilting everyone.

Archived