Excitement!

I finally bit the bullet and ordered my Millennium yesterday. I'll be moving up from an HQ16.

How big of a deal is set up on these? My hubby (mechanical engineer) set up the studio frame on my HQ16, which is similar since my dealer was out of state. Is the Millennium going to be more difficult and is it worth the $500 to have it professionally set up?

Congratulations CJ.! You will love your millie! I upgraded from an 18" Nolting last September and I am enjoying my quilting very much. I love the fine control I have of the machine and being able to go slowly around applique when doing SID.

If your hubby has set up a previous frame, he probably could do the Millie, especially as he's a mech engineer. I am mechanically challenged and needed to get our Aussie rep Sue over to set my system up. I know the instructions are beautifully illustrated etc but I felt it was above my ability to do it. Sue was great and I was up and quilting by the end of the day. I just needed about a week to get used to the new controls (I only had one with my other machine!) and then I was away quilting quilts for my customers.

Happy quilting!

Shelley

Congratulations! You won't regret your purchase.

I went through the same thoughts, but was able to set my Milly up myself with help from my hubby. Just take your time and follow the manual - the instructions are pretty straight-forward. It took us about 1 weekend, but it could probably be done in a day.

Take a look at the posts in this forum under 'Training' and 'Troubleshooting' if you run into problems. Save your $500 bucks for thread and gadgets!

My son (21 at the time) helped me...or, actually, I helped him. :)

It took a number of hours for us to do it and I felt it was a PITA, but we did get it done.

I asked APQS if I could have someone set it up IF my son & I were not able to do it on the first go-round. Their answer was "yes." So, if you try and can't get it right, you still have the option of calling for the $500 appointment.

CONGRATS!!! The machine and frame are easy to set-up. You will get very good instructions with the machine. It's more akward then difficult. Save your 500.00 for gadgets!!!!

If you have any problems we're here to help. Don't forget your dealer is also there to help.

Save your $500 and set if up yourself...If I was married to an engineer...that is what I would do...I'm married to a manager of a railroad company that repairs railroad cars....let me tell you....he ain't no engineer :D:D:D

Congratulations on buying your new Millie...ah...Quilt Glide...I want it bad!!!

Oh happy day!!! How excited you must be!!!! I remember the feeling.....Hubby and I set her up ourselves in half a day. The instructios from APQS are the BEST EVER really they are!! When hubby said we could do it I gave him "the look", you know the one I mean....the "ok if you say so, but I don't think so" look. But (and I can't believe I'm saying this) he was soooo right. No doubt you can do it.

Have fun fun fun dreaming about all great things you and your new love are going to do together while you wait for the delivery date!!

Quilt glide... I'm not even sure I quite grasp what that does, but I was able to get a road show deal that includes it and the fabric advance, and because I have a bad back, I'm going to add the hydraulic lift so I can sit and quilt.

Thanks for the advice ladies, the $500 will help offset the lift :)

CJ,

Welcome to the APQS family! We're here to help you with every aspect of your new machine, even the set up! If you and your hubby get stuck, all you have to do is call and we'll walk you through it, step by step.

The assembly instructions include many photographs and written descriptions to help you. Put on a pot of coffee, get out the tools recommended on the first couple of pages of the manual, and relax...you can do it! Then be sure to use the computer CD that will come with the machine to view and/or print out the REST of the manual (only the assembly instructions are actually printed, as APQS has been trying to "go green".)

In the remaining 150-or-so pages of the manual you'll find instructions on thread, tension, loading a quilt, cleaning the machine, exercises for learning the controls, and even practice techniques as you adjust to the different frame from your HQ16. You'll love all the throat space you've gained! :)

A few minor changes have occurred in our production since the manual was first written, and I've tried to catch them and change the manual as needed. However, if you find something that is incongruent with what the instructions tell you, let me know so I can keep it as up-to-date as possible.

Let me know if you have any questions...happy quilting!

CJ,

I am single and did not have anyone to help me with the set up so I did pay the $500. I am not sorry I did as I am not a strong person and wouldn't have been able to do it by myself. I too ordered the hydraulic lift and love having it. In your case I join the others in saying save the $500 for those extra goodies.

Pamela

Hi CJ and welcome! We're glad to have you here! You will love our family!!

I set my own table up, by myself, and I'm old!!! hahaha All my DH had to do for me was lift and slide the machine head on the carriage. Oh, and he helped me with the roller bars. They are very heavy! Even the FedEx guy needed help to carry them into my studio!:o Setup was simple and the directions are good.

That said, however, when I added the edgerider wheels it was a bi*** to change. That was partly because I did not take the machine off the carriage. Now that they are on (edgeriders) and it is level, it's like a hot knife going through butter!!

CJ,

I set my machine up myself as when the boxes arrived at 10am in the morning I wasn't going to leave them on the front lawn.

I hauled them up the steps, used dining chairs to support when needed etc and would have had it running well before hubby got home at 5.30 pm except I needed to find a transformer. 110V to 240V fortunately APQS now include this.

You will love you APQS machine, they are great.

Lyn

My advice to newbies is to try your machine first and make sure you don't like the wheels before you spend the money on Edgeriders. Of course, that is my advice on a lot of things. I love the wheels that came with my Mille and I have tried several machines with Edgeriders. My dh and I are reps and have been called out of a few service calls, as I guess it had been a while before we started as reps since they had someone who would/could do service here.

If after using your Mille for a while, you decide you don't like the feel of the wheels, you can always change and then you won't wonder if you should have saved your money.

Archived