AccuQuilt

Mary Beth

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't answer your question, but our quilt guild bought the studio model a few months ago. It seems to be the best choice for our situation. As far an an individual...I guess it depends on what your plans are. If it is for individual use, the studio model might be more than you need, as far as the cost.

Some of the shops here are buying the studio model and cutting fabric for kits, or making up their own jelly rolls, tumbler blocks, etc. for sale.

I had some tumbler blocks cut by the "committee" at guild and they were perfect. The little corners were already cut off, so everything matched perfectly. I think it is a great tool. However, would I spend all that money for my own? Probably not in my situation. I just give a few dollars to the guild for this service and they use the money towards the purchasr of additional dyes. We use it for charity quilts, too. Actually, that's why is was really purchased.

I think LA'ers with a decent size business could purchase the studio model and offer this service to their clients. (It also might help with the piecing and have the quilts come in for quilting be more accurate.)

Just my 2 cents.

Hi Mary Beth

I have the Accuquilt Go, and really like it. The differences with the Go and the Studio, seems to be that the Studio has a lot more Dies (Means you can spend lots more money :) ) and the Studio is able to cut more layers than the GO. The Go is a lot more portable than the Studio, and easy to put away. I feel if you had the Studio you would need to keep it up permanently.

Now if space and pennies where not in question I would have gone for the Studio, but as I only quilt for pleasure the GO is quite ok for me.

I have just used my Go to cut out some Drunkards Path blocks , it was so easy. hope sewing them is going to be just as easy:)

I hope it is okay to recommend a reatailer, I bought my Accuquilt Go from http://www.shop.quiltingmachineshop.com/

Elaine Gilmore.

She was extremely helpful to me, and posted to the UK I am not affiliated, just a happy customer. She also has a 20% of code that you can get from her.

Now not sure if I have been helpful or caused more confusion :P:P:P

Mary Beth, I bought the Go a few weeks ago - had a 40% off coupon. I bought it and some dies while we were in San Diego a few weeks ago.(a better price than I could get it for at RD 2CA) I think the Go is plenty for the home quilter. I would have loved the Studio, but the cost was just too much and it is very large. So far, I have only cut binding strips for some UFO tops I have. I know there will be pieces I still have to rotary cut, but what a time saver this is. The strips are perfectly straight. I am sure it will help with better piecing as well. No cuts like this >>> - you all know what I mean.

Let us know what you decide!

Marilyn

I have played with both. I would rather have the Go since it's smaller and more portable but, the Studio has a better selection of dies. The Go dies for drunkards path, apple core, etc. make large blocks. The Studio has both the large and small version. I prefer a 6 inch block over a 9 or 12 inch block. If they ever come out with the smaller ones for the Go I will definitely get one.

Hi! I upgraded to a studio model and started a business with it (I had the Accucut Mark IV before). Best decision I could have made. I think the GO! is enough if you like the selection of dies, but I thought the GO! dies were rather limited. The Studio dies are almost unlimited and like that for my business. I can often get the dies cheaper on Ebay, etc. which helps the bottom line.

Rose Hall

Custom Quilt Kits

www.customquiltkits.com

I have the studio and absolutely love it. I watch for sales on the dies and now have a large collection. The only problem I can see with it is if someone did not have room to leave it out. It certainly is not portable. Mine stays in 1 spot all the time. I just bought some of the applique dies and they are so easy to sew because they are all exact.

Mary Beth, I agree with you, the Accuquilt (I'm thinking the Go would be good for me, any specialty die cuts I need, I could buy from my LQS for $5.00-$10.00 per quilt) calls for me but i keep looking and waiting and looking and waiting. However, now that I am recovering from Cervical Spine surgery and will have permanent motion loss in my neck,I think this could be the BEST reason to finally get one. In addition to saving time it certainly will save wear and tear on ME!!!!! . . . . so I can start (and MAYBE finish) - - - - MORE QUILTS!!

That discount you have available would certainly carry a little weight in the decision making process!

:):)

Brenda in Fla

Mary Beth,

I love all things Gadget/Notion and thought about this long and hard before purchasing. I was very tempted to get the Studio but ended up purchasing the GO instead. To me, the Studio is geared more to Quilt Shops and/or Vendors who need to cut a lot of kits. Where as the GO is more for home use or carting with you to retreats.

I bought the GO last April from Elaine and haven't regretted it one minute. I use this thing a lot and have even taken it on retreat with me. I use it some weeks more than others but it is out and getting used as opposed to just sitting in a corner collecting dust.

I have a new piecer who was influenced by me (unintentially) to buy one and she just raves about it and how much she loves it. You won't be able to get a die for every single piece you need to cut but for the ones you can use it for, it is wonderful.

The pieces in the picture (Pineapple Blossoms by Bonnie Hunter) were cut with the 3 1/2 square die and the 2 inch strip cutter. This quilt was made for my Cousin's wife. She was over the moon when she received it. This is just one project that I used the GO for.

Gail

post--13461903446872_thumb.jpg

Mary Beth, the link you provide for Suzy is not working. I also tried it a few days ago when you posted it and it didn't work then, either. Is the link correct? I tried a google search and found she is in north Texas but didn't loacate her website. I've toyed with the idea of a GO! also, and any money saved on one is more to spend on other quilting toys! :D Thanks!

A question for the AccuQuilt users, is there fabric waste?

Carmen

There is an extra period after the com on Mary Beth's link . If you get rid of that the link works.

I have only used my Go for making binding, till a couple of days ago when I cut out some Drunkards path blocks. I did not think the waste was to bad. Also it is quite easy to trim your fabric so it just covers the blades.

When I cut strips for binding with the 21/2" strip die, I cut with 4 layers of fabric just the width and lenght of the die and there is very little waste.

Originally posted by yankiequilter

A question for the AccuQuilt users, is there fabric waste?

To answer your question, it depends. If I am cutting strips, no. If you are cutting tumbling blocks, more so but probably no more than with a rotary cutter. Basically, it depends on the shape you want to cut.

I usually cut the fabric approximately 1/2 wider than the edges of the shape I want to cut. I do a lot of piecing with scraps as I like scrap quilts. So since they are already scraps that I have rescued from the waste paper basket once, does it matter if there is some waste?

All I can tell you is that I love mine and have never regretted the purchase. I think it is the Cat's Pajamas.

I got my GO a few weeks ago. I pondered over the "GO or Studio" but I went with the GO because I couldn't justify getting the Studio. I love the accuracy of the cuts. I don't waste any more fabric then I did with "poor" rotary cuts (it cuts down on a lot of piecing frustration). I also cut the fabric a 1/2 or so before putting it on the die. It's great for scraps. I can't wait for my grand-daughters to visit this summer because I know they'll have a blast cutting all my scraps into nice usable sizes, shapes and appliques!!!:D

It's just like machines, you'll find people who love the cutters and those that hate them.

Archived