My local prices/competition

cjtinkle

I live in a poor area, it can't support any sewing machine dealers or quilt shops, but the longarmers seem to stay busy. The problem is the prices. I spoke to one lady on the phone this morning, she's one of the more popular choices (very nice and helpful too!) but OMG her prices!

She quilts on a computerized HQ18, and does mostly custom work. Her prices start at 1 cent per square inch, and top out at 1.5 cents per square inch... and she doesn't charge for thread or batting!

I explained to her that I can't work for that, so maybe I'm not going to get any business unless it comes from the web.

Any advice on how I should proceed with pricing? I want to pay for my equipment, and support my hobby.

Whoa!! I'd say she's LOOSING money!! My prices start at 1 3/4 cents PSI . And I have gone as high as 10 cents PSI (that one was probably the ONLY one that will be that much)(cause I'll never do that again!) :) But I would say my adverage is 2 - 21/2 cents PSI. I charge $5 for thread, no matter what size...kinds of evens itself out.. And if I supply the batting, they pay what they would at the store. There are not quilt shops around here either, so I carry Quilter's Dream battings. I live in an area that has been hit VERY hard with the ressesion, but the piecers are still going strong and all the quilters around here are busy! I would charge what YOU figure you need. Your good work will be your stand!! linda

CJ...some areas are just that...poor. Now your thoughts of getting business from the web is a gamble. I had a website for over 12 years and NOT one quilt was ever received from that investment of time or money. My web wasn't a free site, I paid something like $40.00 a year to have it pop up free and have it come to the top of the list when you googled it. It turned out more for a site to keep the gallery and when I moved here I shut it down as I knew I more than likely would never quilt again for others.

My best investments were to hook up with LQS and word of mouth advertising....and it was a long and hard road to walk. The guilds in the area weren't friendly so I never joined even though I did get some quilts from the guild members.

You say she is computerized....that is hard to beat...but not all people want a perfect stitch they want it to look artsy or homey. Just hang in there, and make your own yours. We each have a special style and after awhile people will look at one and say...wow, that's one that CJ did. That's not a bad thing. Just because the other lady starts out at 1 to 1.5 cents PQI doesn't mean you have to. Be better than she is...do something different than she does and be a better marketier. Have a special niche that works for just you...have a special something (i.e discount for first quilt, 8th quilt free....) Just because she says she is getting that, doesn't really mean she is. If she knew you were a fellow quilter she may have seemed nice on the phone, but trust me she didn't tell you the whole story. she isnt' going to tip her tricks and trade marks. Also study her work, is she just an E2E person, or does she do custom for that price (bet not) and then decide what she is doing and then go the other direction.

Good luck...getting started isn't easy, but the good guys always come to the top and stay there.

I echo Bonnie. You can't give yourself away for free.

There are a number of marketing things you can do to set yourself apart.

- To get people to try you, have an introductory special, such as free batting (if you purchase wholesale, this is only about a $10-15 discount) or 10% off your first quilt.

- Have a referral program, where people that refer others to you get a similar discount on their next quilt.

- If you go with a website, get permission when your customer drops off their quilt to put it on the web when you finish. When you email to tell her that the quilt is done, send the link. She will send that link to lots of people who will all have a chance to see your work and your website.

Bonnie is right about finding where your talents lie and market to that.

Good luck!

Julia

Well said Bonnie!!!

I was thinking as I read above about the computer part and whether she is only doing E2E for that--we know of course that she must be. So I echo that you will want to also do E2E for 1.5 an inch--I think most of us have that price as well. Then step up to 2 cents for separate border designs, block designs, etc, until the word gets out, your quilting gets noticed, and your customer base will build. Your start may be slow, but like Bonnie says, find a niche for your style of quilting.

I also agree that established quilters never share it all--and shouldn't. To check on the person you talked to, have a friend call her, ask about her wait time (if it is long, there is room for another quilter in the area) and pricing. Ask about her charge for custom quilting, or if she even offers it. She may be booked with E2E quilts and not even offer any custom.

Here is a question for all you longarmers who have businesses-- Have you ever gotten the "phone call" from someone obviously fishing for info?

When Bayside started selling HQs big-time, I got six calls in one month asking about my back-up, pricing, where I do in-take, etc. So it all comes back around, I guess! ;)

Thank you for the advice. I already knew I couldn't afford to charge what she does. Her work IS mostly custom... and those are her prices. :(

I think I will do like ya'll said. Figure out what I need to earn, and start there! I don't mind doing some promo's, that's a great idea. Birthday deals, referrals, holiday specials, etc.

As for the web, I've already had several people email me ready to send me their quilts when I'm good to go, I think the online presence will be the easiest for me to market, but then again, who knows!

I feel relieved to have my instincts confirmed... not to go with those low prices.

Hi CJ, you've received great advice above. Every location is different regarding cost of living and what people are willing to pay for something. For me personally, there is a fine line I try to keep balanced regarding charging for quilting services. First, I don't want to undermine my local longarmers in my area... (I do not consider them competition for customers; these longarmers are my friends and my valuable resources) so, I will not undercharge to steal their customers away. Second, I don't want to overcharge the customers, either. They don't deserve that and it's not fair to them. So I guess it all boils down to what you can do that is "special" or a niche that will attract customers on that merit, and still be able to make a profit for your work. You can be very creative with your ways to do this. Rather than looking at this black and white with the "per square inch" rate think of other ways you can make the best use of your "time" when quilting. I think it all boils down to time you spend on a quilt, not necessarily per square inch. I'm just trying to throw out things to consider... :) Another thing that you could do is other things (including "longarm quilting services") to bring income for your machine. There are lots of things you can do with your longarm to find that special niche.

When I got my machine, I spent about a year learning, educating myself with my longarm. I have not advertised. I get most of my business word of mouth, or through my guild, or from people that see my quilt hanging in the fair, etc. Anyway, I wish you best. I know you are creative and you will find your place and customers. PS: Your personality and how you deal with people is another special niche. Maybe you have that personality (I think you do!) that attracts customers. More food for thought.... :)

You usually get what you pay for.

What does her custom work look like and what kind of batting is she giving away?

Your bread and butter is pantographs.

If you can be the pantograph queen in your area you will have lot's of business. Give a two week turnaround at a reasonable price. Here in SD it is .015 cents per square inch.

Minimum charge for small quilts, is usually $45.00.

Offer a good variety of pantographs, put them in a binder. One lady in the area that is really cheap, has 30-40 quilts on her shelf at a time. She also has a lot of angry customers who have been waiting for over a year. If they know they will get it when you say, you will get the business and the price you are asking. I don't charge for thread or needles.

One person gives away free batting which is not a good quality and she enlarges the pantographs to grapefruit size to get through the quilt faster. Not a pretty site.

People will always pay for quality. Do a variety of pretty pantos. Tell everyone you do pantos in two weeks. Have a friend call all the longarmers in your area and ask what they charge for pantos. Be in the middle price range.

I've not seen her work, but she told me she uses inexpensive batting and thread for the most part, unless the customer supplies their own, because most aren't willing to pay for anything better.

This may or may not be true. If it is, then I like to think I can set a new standard! I don't believe I will charge any less than .015 cents psi, period. I think I can do this!

I purchased some of the really nice Circle Lord Ka'Ching boards... the baptist fan, the zigzag, the swirls and the sakura... thinking I could do a nice business on those, and have the quality compete with a computerized setup. At least, that's the hopeful plan, LOL

There you go, CJ! :) You've got the wheels turning.

Buy a variety of pretty threads that are attractive. Threads are a little spendy, but you get a lot from the cones. I have a big variety of cottons, poly and variegated. I use Bottom Line in the bobbin. To recoup my thread usage, I charge $2.00 per bobbin on the quilt, so usually I make between $5.00 and $10.00 on thread per quilt. This little bit helps. I like JoAnn's ideas, too.

Ask yourself these questions as if you were the customer: "What would I ultimately want in my longarm machine quilter? What does she act like? How does she treat me? Does she make me feel special and unique? What does she do/offer that the others longermers don't do? Why do I like her so much? Why would I go back to her again and again?"

Imagine yourself in those special ways and they will come. :)

I tried the renting and ended up stopping it. Not only did she move the machine as fast as she could, but really had no idea what a pattern is. On one quilt, she broke a needle and I told her, "This is the reason I said to slow down." Well we also had to retime the machine and I impressed on her why it is better for her quilting and my machine if she'd slow down, and get a pretty stitch. She didn't. Then she is the one who brought me a quilt with 5" extra on both sides of the top and bottom and both ends of the sides, and got upset, told me I didn't try hard enough, I messed it up to be mean.. I no longer know what aLLmy sins were, and she chastised me in front of the whole guild. With back up from a couple gals that didn't see the quilt before she gave it to me to be quilted, and had no other part in it. She's made so many quilts that I thought this one was squared up before she brought it to me. I used Bonnies steam and press method to try to shrink it in. I just had way too much fabric in the 9 borders she put on it.

Well for Guild service Quilts, meaning those we raffle or donate, I USE to charge wholesale for the batting, $5 per twin or larger quilt, for thread, and .015 per sq inch for any quilting..

I don't do that any more. I will only quilt Quilts of Valor, and NOTHING else for anyone in the guild or the guilds quilt made by a group. I don't rent the quilter out any more, either.

If one of the gals wants me to privately quilt for her, she will pay retail on the batting, minimum of $5 up to $7 for thread and bobbins.. and I'll begin at .02 per square inch, minimum, on up to my top for custom. I don't have a steady flow of quilts coming in to be finished, but that's ok, I learn more before each one.

I won't let anyone else make a horses behind of me either, without throwing something back, and I don't mean a marshmallow or a pebble.

Remember, YOU are WORTH what you do, plus materials and supplies. Don't let anyone try to tell you any different.

Good Luck and God Bless..

Ritar

I agree with Shana, it's best to work with the longarmers in your area instead of against them. The owner of my LQS is the experienced long armer and the pro in our area along with being a great gal. She has really encouraged me and helped me get started with customers as she is always booked months ahead, and many times when people need a quilt done sooner, she will send them my way. I only do edge to edge thus far for customers and I really feel that is my bread and butter. I do intend to get out from the back of my machine and broaden my horizons but I really feel that the money is in edge to edge. My customers are very pleased with the short turn around time and I am keeping as busy as I want to be. I am also doing some custom quilts as time allows, which I really enjoy as I get my piecing fix that way. It really beats being out there working nine to five for somebody else.

My guess is the gal who is giving away her services is maybe not doing quality work. There are some quilters who are just not particular about stitch quality or the finished product as much as getting it done cheap. You'll get the good ones. Good luck out there.

I learned a lot by reading informations and advices here when I started longarming 2 years ago.

It was challenging to establish a business like ours in a market with lots of existing veteran longarmers. Like Shana, I tried to learn as much as I could from classes, practice what I learned, did a lot PPP and a lot of piecing my own quilts when there are no customers quilts to work on and show and tell them all at the guild meetings.

Some piecers out there will notice your quilting and you will have your own customers.

Corey

I don't want to compete with the local longarmers, I want to work with them, that's why I am calling them and introducing myself as a new longarmer to the area. I just have contact information for the top 2 at the moment, but will get the rest of their information hopefully at this weeks guild meeting.

I am also new to the guild. It's small, and I will have to work hard to be "accepted". There is a good 20 year age difference between myself and the members of the guild. ;)

I will need to find a way to bring something "fresh" to the guild, rather than being seen as an "upstart". :P

Thank you all so much for all the wonderful advice. This board is the best!

I was 30+ years younger than most of the ladies at my previous guild. I was taken under wing and shown everything about quilting. I no longer belong to a guild...well, except for one in CA which I do not even know if I will ever get to visit...anywho...I owe most everything I learned about quilting to these ladies. Now, I am longarming and designing my own quilts! Life is good!! :)

The core of a business plan considers four questions (and I hope that you made a business plan):

What services does your business provide AND what need does it fill?

Who are the potential customers And why will they purchase it from you?

How will you reach your potential customers?

Where will you get the financial resources to start your business?

The local price point for quilting seems pretty bleak. I would try and answer questions 2 & 3 to see if your business is viable.

Janet Mohler

Colorado Springs

I'm glad you started this thread, I learned a lot from the responses you got!

I'm like you, just starting out in business. I have had my longarm for 3 years now, and am just starting to get some customers through my guild. I live in an area where there are 2 established, very busy longarmers who do this for their business full time. I do it for more of a hobby, but I take it seriously, and would like to build a business that I could continue when I retire. One la-er does mostly computerized, the other incredible custom work. I was NOT welcomed with open arms here when I got my longarm. I just hung in there, smiled a lot, and held on to the attitude that these 2 quilters can't keep up with all the work in town, nor does everyone go for their style of quilting.

My strategies for gaining a foothold were: I donated a gift certificate for longarm quilting for the guild to raffle in holiday baskets that they were selling tickets for. The "free" quilting that I did for the guild on that quilt won a first place at a guild show! I also made sure I had something of mine to hold up for show and tell each month, even if it was small.

I am still in a bit of a quandry as to what to charge. In my area, one quilter charges $1. per inch the longest side of the quilt, others charge by the square inch. The quilters also generally charge a "loading fee" of $20 to 25. per quilt. Some have additional charges for thread. All charge retail for batting. If anything, I probably undercharge. I will have to think carefully about what Shana said about that. I'm not trying to undercut the professional's prices so much as sometimes I want to spend the extra time to do a custom or lite custom on a quilt for the practice. I know that I can't make enough tops to get the practice I need, so I'm taking that into consideration when I price something. Also, since I know my customers from the guild, I see them as people, not just the quilts they bring. I had this nice little lady who had lovingly made a beautiful Christmas quilt for her family. She was a widow, fighting cancer, blah blah blah. I custom quilted it and didn't charge her a lot... it was my way of being supportive of what she was going through. My husband thinks I'm crazy. He's like you spent all week quilting that for $80????

I'm working on making up a sheet so I will charge everyone the same, based on some formula rather than a random number that jumps into my head!

Good luck, let us know how it goes. Don't ge discouraged, it might take a little time, but once you get discovered, you will soar.

Pam

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

I no longer belong to a guild...well, except for one in CA which I do not even know if I will ever get to visit...anywho...I

Hey, you know me...well, sort of!! :P And you have to come over for the retreat. Mark your calendar, its October 8, 9 and 10. A mystery (bummer) quilt, but we'll still have fun!:D

Hey Dory, what do you mean sort of. We are buddies just like Heidi and I and Shannon and I...

I am planning on coming to your place when Shannon does her classes. Also, you still have to {not sure why 'have to' except you like me so anyways...} do my mystery quilt too. Hopefully soon I will be announcing it and posting to my blog. I will try to plan for the October retreat. That would be fun.

Archived