Fons and Porter

Grammie

Tammie,

I got mine Saturday and I have already stitched a couple of the sample pieces that she shows. I was so excited by how they turned out that I had to have my husband come in and look at them. Finally I felt like I might be on the same level as the rest of you guys.

I can't wait until my pocket guides come from Darlene. They were supposed to be mailed out today. I'm so anxious to get them and start practicing something besides feathers, SID, and loops and swirls.

Teresa

YOU GUYS?

Chicken Scratch I'm still GREEN believe me. lolol

I am doing my first custom and well I have alot to LEARN. I'm doing pretty good but I could improve and I am trying some techniques for the first time.

It will turn out great but not as great as I hoped. I am still loving every minute of it. I'm working 12 hr shift Mon thru Thurs so Each day I get home I stipple stipple until its time for bed and that time has come right now. lol

Now Tammie, just how do you know that what you are doing is not great? You can't be the judge of your own work. You are doing super :) You all can do this. Let your creativity out and run with it.

I want you all to gather up and come spend a week with me or I have me come come spend a week with you all somewhere. Retreats are fun and learn so much. You will find that you are fretting over things that you can do if you give your self permission....... relax and let it happen. I know it is overwhelming but if you break things down into baby steps you will be running before you know it.

Check out class locations listed on my website and register if you can. I will be in Co Springs Aug-7-12 and Elko NV Sept, 7-9

I have a few openings in Niceville Fl, in Sept. Bring lots of energy.

Teresa, Darlene's Pocket Guides are great. They were the first books I bought when I started quilting and I still pull them out at times even after all these years. You will get a lot of use out of them.

Marilyn gave great advice in her article. It reminded me to slow down a bit. That's hard for me, but is a big help;)

Myrna

I also really liked the article in the magazine regarding freehand quilting. I was just putting a quilt on the machine when I read the magazine and decided to give Plumes w/ curliques a try on the quilt. I am very pleased with the results and I found it very easy to do. This quilt is for a local quilt shop, so I'm hoping that it will generate some business.

I also took her advice to slow down a bit. I took a few minutes to get used to the machine moving slower, but I had much better control. Great advice!!

Debbi

I thought this pattern and the others in the magazine were very easy to freehand. I think the key is to take it in small steps. When I first looked at the pattern, I thought no way. I haven't done much freehand and it certainly looked too complex for me. But with it broken down into steps, it became very easy.

First a curlique to one side, the a curlique to the other side, put arcs between the curliques, feather around the top, echo back over the feather and then start another one. Put on some music and get a rhythm going....

Debbi

Ooops. :P

Speaking of this issue..... I was admiring the quilting done on the "Under the Mistletoe" quilt on page 88 when I noticed that it was quilted by our very own Dawn Cavanaugh.

WAY TO GO DAWN!!!!!! Beautiful quilting.

We are so lucky to have such talented Ladies in the APQS Family.

• 2 months later...

I'm almost finished a quilt using the plumes/curliques....wow!!! It was actually easier to sew than it was for me to draw...it's looking fantastic!!! I can't wait for the customer to see it. It also is working up very quickly, so a good money-maker for something that looks so impressive.

The back looks great too...a very, dark grey marble with the quilting done in a deep rose...it really shows up well.

I'm very impressed, if I do say so myself!!! :cool:...I urge everyone to give the design a try...

Have a good day, Sandra :)

Debbi, I love your quilt! I'm really inspired to give it a try and go get the magazine! I just finished reading "Gaudynski's Machine Quilting Guidebook" that came out this year in January. She breaks down in a step by step fashion how to quilt her signature motifs free-motion style, including bananas (lost of little arcs that are based on echo quilting), headbands (sort of like nested feathers), and Diane-shiko (her spin on the wine glasses motif).

http://www.dianegaudynski.net

How are you able to get your spacing between lines to be so perfect each and every time?! It never ceases to amaze me when I see free motion quilting with so much precision!

Kathy

Since we are talking about the Fons and Porter mag. My subscription has run out and when DH ordered my Freedom LA they said it came w. a suscription to F&P. He purchased in early May...when should my subscription come? Oh, thank you for having me check on my last issue...I had overlooked Marilyn Badger's article...in fact I think I'll check it out now! Elaine

• 5 weeks later...

I am new here and have been looking through the older threads. I've looked through my Fons & Porter magazines and cannot find the article you are referring to. If you still have it, can you tell me what month, page, etc. I looked through april '06 thru oct '06 and still cannot find it :(

Archived