Awesome site - A few questions

I have a ton of cast iron skillets, literally...wouldn't trade them for all the expensive stuff...I threaten my DH with them all the time :D

You are right...I forgot you said you need to build a room on...that does add up. Humm. Shana is right, watch for used machines. Do you have a bedroom big enough that you could put one in there and stick one end into the closet? I've heard some have done that. And...if you get a 10 or 12 foot table I'm thinking it could be doable. (It's not good to get me thinking you know?!).

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I got my Millenium in Nov 2007. I work full time. I sewed for at least 4 hours a night on ebay quilt tops to practice. It takes time and nothing unfortunately replaces the time it takes to learn.

I actually offered to quilt the first 25 quilts for free so I could practice as well. Had some repeat buisiness from that.

When you get up and running and comfortable, and good at what you do...don't be afraid to charge what you are worth. If it keeps a few customers away, you probably didn't want to quilt the C and D cups anyway. Don't give your work product away.

I want to do this all the time.

Beware Quilters! CJ will get you all in big trouble! :) I can't tell you how much trouble she's caused me!

Let's see . . it's CJ's fault that I'm smoking my own meat, grinding my own flower, slicing my own meat . . what else, CJ, have you gotten me into?

Seriously, I love reading about CJ's adventures and so far, everything I've done that she's recommended has been great.

This thread says so much.. I find I have to keep practicing anything I have learned, or I lose the touch.

I also found out, medicines can have a terrible affect on how one quilts.. so if you have been sick and suddenly feel you just aren't doing what you thought you could, it's a good chance it's from the meds..

Prednisone is a booger for me to take in larger doses.. once I get to a lower dose, and haven't been getting frequent steroid shots for the neck/back, I do fairly well.

So I have to practice and keep certain things in mind. When I can find my mind.. lol

ritaR

Hmmm... all my girlfriends used to say that when we were kids too. LOL It was always my fault! :P

Originally posted by JudyL

Beware Quilters! CJ will get you all in big trouble! :) I can't tell you how much trouble she's caused me!

Let's see . . it's CJ's fault that I'm smoking my own meat, grinding my own flower, slicing my own meat . . what else, CJ, have you gotten me into?

Seriously, I love reading about CJ's adventures and so far, everything I've done that she's recommended has been great.

Just another couple of thoughts .. and NOT to scare you away. I am 43 and I bought my machine and found our local situation did not support another LAer here. I had 2 customers in 6 months and I could not survive like that, my machine sold after one week on this website and now I am doing administrative work from home. Also, the market in MO is not necessarily going to be the same as VA. So, do your homework, if you do move, you need to talk with those locals and see what their backlog is. ALSO, find out how many LAers there are in your new area and how busy they are. I needed to make a living at it in the first year, then my husband decided he could not handle our situation (we have a son with autism) full time, so now he is a part time parent. I know lives change, etc. But make sure your local quiltng industry can support you coming into the market. Good luck and take care.

Missouri (at least the southern portion) is a quilters paradise. But there's a number of longarmers in the Ozarks, for sure. I ended up purchasing another HQ16 as the cost of it meant I didn't have to justify the expense by turning it into a business. We're in Arkansas now, and expect to be here for 5 years or so more.

Mary Beth, I grind all of our flour. I have a Country Living Grain Mill, which is a hand operated mill, but I also have their motorization kit on it, grinding wheat by hand is in my opinion, something best left for emergencies :P. It's strenuous work! I dump my cup or two of berries in the mill every morning and let it grind, then make our bread with it.

I use white wheat (Montana Gold) berries only. I prefer it over red wheat, and it makes a fabulous loaf of bread!

Hello - I've learned and enjoyed reading the above posts, think I will benefit from the puzzle idea - a query - when practicing on muslin can I use just the one layer or do I need to have all three? Also is there a tip to go with regulating my stitches when my machine doesn't have a regulator - Thank you in Anticiapation, Marie E. Australia :cool:

Hi Marie in Oz! :)

Well, I think you should have all three layers (top, bottom and batting) so you can know what your tension does on top and bottom. Having all three layers gives you more stability, too. If you were practicing with one layer of fabric, it would be so flimsy! Just not the same thing..you know what I mean? it doesn't matter the size; use scrap fabric and scrap pieces of batting.

When I first started I used my Bernina to quilt. I discovered that using the quilting gloves to get a good grip really helps. I also think that a consistent (faster) speed of the needle, the better results I had, and the smoother your curves are in quilting. Just get the feel of the needle speed and move it slowly and then gradually increase needle speed...and get the feel of it. After lots of practice, I could get my size of stitcfhes consistent on my Bernina. If I can do it, you can, too! :)

Thanks Shana - boy we live a long way apart don't we and isn't it great we can communicate so easily through this board! I have a Janome 1600P on a frame - initially I was setting it all up with the 3 layers to practice but it is time comsuming (maybe I'm being too fussy but want to practice the setting up as well) and is was also costing $'s. I really don't have decent sized scraps of fabric, I was buying the cheapest batting I could find........so I thought if it was possible just to put one layer to practice it would quicker, easier and cheaper.........take care, Marie E.

Archived