This is my addiction - what is yours?

carolinequilts

Hi again everyone.

Okay, so I have an addiction - and it is thread. I thought I would post a picture of my thread collection to share. This first picture is my 'canning' shelf of threads. The 2nd shelf from the top is filled with some of my finer threads (So Fine, Bottom Line, Wonderfil DecoBob), but the other shelves are full of threads that I got on eBay from the garment industry. They are mostly serger threads, but are good quality, like A&E Perma-Core, Cansew, Coats, andy many others. I use these mainly for bobbin, but also in the tops if it is the perfect colour.

In the 2nd picture I have 4 drawer units. In these drawers I have a huge variety. You can see the small spools. There are about 7 drawers of those. They were from a distribution warehouse clearance of Coats Dual Duty. I can't tell you how much my friends and quilting customers love this. I can offer them a bag of 50 for $10 and still make a little profit. I bought 4,000 and have about 2,000 left. The other drawers are full of my specialty quiltng threads like King Tut, Valdani, Signature, Wonderfil. I LOVE my threads.

I have a wonderful method of cataloging my threads, but my picture is blurry. I will add a picture later.

So there, it is all out on the table. This is my addiction - what is yours?

post--13461903673811_thumb.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a picture of my thread catalogue. I put all my fancy threads onto embroidery bobbins and the attach a piece of velcro to the back. I then can attach them to my binder pages with strips of the 'other side' of the velcro. What is nice is that my customers can see all my threads where ever they are without having to come down to my studio.

post--13461903674225_thumb.jpg

Hummm...I got to counting my threads...

I have 71 cones of Sew Fine, 38 cones of Rainbows, 35 cones of Metro, 3 cones of Glide, about 6 of misc like Lava and a Ricky Tims thread, 10 of King Tutt, 4 Bottom Line, 50 Isacord, 6 Floriani, 6 Master Piece, and 8 Signature. Besides that I have a bunch of thread I use on my domestic machines.

Hummm...I am certainly in the addiction catagory, too.

That's impressive! I can totally relate!

I'd call my addiction a collection of quilt related things...nothing unusual. Fabric, thread, books, tools, magazines, pages pulled from magazines...on and on and on. Sometimes it's all I can do to keep myself from shopping for more.

If it's an addiction, I refuse to seek therapy!

Thanks for sharing.

Anita

You know,Vicki, I think you're right!

I remember spending a lot of time at my Gramma's going thru her boxes of thread and buttons and old coins in the march of dimes binders. Fond memories. I'd pour out the cigar boxes of buttons she removed from the clothing she discarded and sort them by size, or color, or type. Wish I still had those buttons! The thread was mostly rotted, but would love to have those wooden spools also. She didn't quilt, but she would pull the yarn from sweaters and knit or crochet blankets. Interestingly enough, she came from a wealthy family, but because she endured the Great Depression...she did things like that, which drove my grandfather nuts! I learned to be frugal from her too...except when it comes to my addictions...ummm, I mean, my dedications. :D:D:D

Wow...nice memory. There you have it, you're cultivating a love without even knowing it!

Anita

Hmm... Sorting threads... Maybe I never grew out of it? :D:D

Kids sure love little bobbles & stuff. I have one lady who bought several bags of my 5" squares to give to her DG. The little girl (I think she is 5) would spend hours arranging them all over the floor. I can't wait till I have some granddaughters! I have two teenage boys and they're just not interested in my 'dedication' - go figure! If they don't end up having any baby girls, I'll just have to rent some :P

I do give my empty spools to kindergarten teachers. The kids love those too..

I think they probably make medicine for that! Let's see an organized addict. would that be a med for compulsive disorder? Hmmm..... Mine is fabric - I never have enough but I don't have nearly as much as most! In fact I'd love to own a quilting store where no one gets to shop. I just go in every morning and select fabrics and thread and sew away......

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

I think they probably make medicine for that!..... In fact I'd love to own a quilting store where no one gets to shop. I just go in every morning and select fabrics and thread and sew away......

SO Funny!!!!

At least this addiciton is well organized! Nice photos... a neat way to keep track of your colors.

Archived