Spiral Lone Star

I actually made this quilt back in 2006 - way b4 LA. I quilted it on my domestic sewing machine with just a meander in invisible thread. After I got my LA I decided it needed to be custom quilted. So with the help of my best friend we ripped out all of the quilting (I know what were we thinking. . .) and I gave custom quilting a go.

All of it is freehand - not perfect but I think it made the quilt really pop and now I love it and it hangs proudly in my quilting studio.

post--13461903716672_thumb.jpg

It wasn't a kit - I selected all the materials myself - and it took me way way outside the box. Until I made that one I used nice traditional colors and calicos for making quilts. I hated it when I was making it, was gonna give it to my son cuz it hurt my eyes:( Once the center was together (and the very center of the lone star was beaten into submission)(anyone who has ever done a lone star knows about the bias stretch and the tent peak the centers can get knows what I'm talkin about) I had my sister design the outer border and I kind of liked it.

I used matching threads for the different materials (kind of a job to find all those threads). Know my son will get it after I'm gone lol

Archived