Electrical outlets--planning new studio

lpotter

Hi, we're just breaking ground on our new home which will have a 600 sf quilting studio (my definition of heaven!) What is your recommendation for plugging in Millie. Outlets in the ceiling? In the floor? What works best for you? I know I'm really tired of watching my step and trying not to get tangled in the cords when working from the back of the machine so I know there has to be a better way!!

Thanks!

Lisa Potter

Thank you Patty! A picture is worth a thousand words! We just poured our foundation today and I'll put this in my file to show the electrician. This is perfect! Linda...we would LOVE a visit from you and your family!! Actually our new home is in Canby...we sold our beach house to finance this home which is our LAST move...hurray!! Millie is counting the days until she has her own space!

Lisa

Buzzy Bee Quilting

Patty, classes are pretty full. I will send you an update later. I have a few opening in a copule of classes. So if you know anyone else thingking about them let them know. Talk to you soon.

Also for anyone looking for a machine seminar Come check out our machines. I have openings in the evenings for those as well. Check my website.

Myrna

I totally agree with Jeri. When we built my studio last year, I put in lot of outlets and recessed lights. The electrician just kept shaking his head but I sure do like not having to run extension cords everywhere. I even have an outlet in the center of the floor. One thing I would have done differently is put an outlet in the floor under the machine.

Holly

Hi Lisa - How exciting to be able to plan out your new space! While I'm a true Newbie to quilting, I spent many years designing workspaces for Corporate America -- one suggestion I would toss out for you to consider is having some outlets at worksurface height or a bit above (with the location chosen typically at the end of the machine with the least amount of traffic -- if you know what I mean). Seated Worksurfaces are typically about 30" AFF (above finished floor); standing height worksurfaces are typically around 36" AFF -- but both should be totally customized to fit what is absolutely comfortable for you.

In some environments where an installation of power was "not" planned, I've seen people plug in a surge protector to the outlet and then mount the surge protector at worksurface height. This made for easy access as well as an isolated on/off switch for specific machines.

My current quiliting area is a 12x15' former recording studio (my husband's) however, about 1/3 of that is used to store music equipment (I stopped asking how many guitars can one own when I started purchasing quilting gear! -- <grin>). The electrical outlets were already installed in all walls and the construction is lathe and plaster, so I didn't want to cut into all that work to raise my outlets, so I'm using the surge protector method -- it works great for me and there's no tripping/tangling of cords to worry about.

Hope this helps!

Breezy

Lisa -

Pattys picture shows a good way. I have the overhead wiring thingy but

still you would have the cord coming off of that at some point. We took it

and strung to over to the top of the patio door, along the trim, then down

and over. All along the wall, nothing on the floor. UP - Up - Up works great!

Oh - and yes - have a surge protector - this is a must!

Lisa,

I read a book on designing your sewing space and it recommended that you should make sure that all your outlets in the sewing room are not on one circuit. Since a lot of sewing areas are converted bedrooms, many are not set up to have multiple appliances running, especially heating elements such as an iron. If you don't want to have circuits popping off every time you turn on the radio, make sure you have the outlets wired to at least two different circuits at the circuit breaker box.

Colleen ;)

Hi,

I just finished redoing the flooring in my studio. I do have the rail on my ceiling for the cords to roll in. I've always loved having this system. It keeps the cords out of the way. My room has two different circuits. Don't ask me how we finally did that!!!! I feel so happy to have 424 square feet here. 600 sounds pretty awesome. Now, where did you say that beach house is going to be?????:cool:

• 1 month later...

I think that a ceiling outlet is the best. I've tried many ways of getting the juice to the machine and found that the ceiling is the best. Right now I have two outlets on the ceiling(for two machines) and it keeps me from tripping on the cord. I hate thoses cords on the ground. If you have to choose the ground route than you should make sure the cord is under a mat or some kind carpet/rug to keep you from doing a nose dive to the floor.

I have my electrical stuff for my millie in the ceiling...and like it there. It's on its own circuit.

I didn't think about power for the take up motor....so that lays on the floor. That might be a good place for an outlet in the floor. Think about that since you are just building.

I would also think about power in or under your work table. I haven't really needed it, but I've thought about needing it!!! My husbans asks me why I don't just stop thinking. :P

• 4 months later...

Hi.

This is an interesting topic. We are working on finishing our attic for my quilting studio and thought we should put an outlet UNDER the machine frame to get the cords completely out of the way and prevent any tripping (by me or the kids!).

Having read these posts recommending ceiling outlets, I am not sure which way to go now. My dear husband is doing all the work up there, so we can put it where we need it. We have a knee-wall that runs up 5 feet, then angles up to the 8 foot ceiling. Not sure an outlet makes sense on the angle like we have.

I have very LA experience. Would in-floor, under the frame outlets be best?

Thanks for any suggestions or experience you can share.

Lisa

(dreaming of her Liberty)

Hi Lisa---

A floor outlet is a good idea, but probably not for your machine power cord. The cord travels with the machine and you would need a way to have it travel without the extra flopping out to trip you or catch on something and pull on the machine. (The floor outlet is perfect for the auto-advance, so you may consider placement towards the end of the table.)

I use the space under the table for batting storage and a rolling cart. I'd hate to lose all that space. Maybe someone can figure a way to attach an outlet to the bottom side of the table frame. Then you could put a short power cord from table to floor and not lose any storage. The power cord for the machine would plug into the table outlet and travel the length of the machine easily. I'm just thinking out loud here, so all this may not be do-able!! Hope some of this makes sense. Have fun!

Linda Rech

Wash State

Archived