That WD-40...

cjtinkle

The thought of using WD-40 on ANY sewing machine... much less my expensive Milly, is really bugging me. The stuff builds up and is just plain nasty!

Why do we need to use it? What's wrong with just oil? And if it's for cleaning purposes, how about a silicone base instead?

CJ actually WD 40 is a degreaser and will take care of all the build up of lint and such. I've never had it build up on my machine and I use it all the time! You have to make sure you spray it into the bobbin area, run the machine good and then clean it out. I usually spray it out with my air compressor. Once that is done then I add a few drops of oil and run it again.

Yep in same sandbox as Heidi and Kristina. Have been using for over 14 years and no build up. If your concerned get a MSDS, but you will find its harmless so you don't need a mask with it. That is unless your just not liking the smell.

Spray on and let it clean the bobbin area and when finished wipe out the excess. No build up and it doesn't get sticky like silicones can if you don't remove every bit of excess.

WD-40 is like brake cleaner or adhesive remover. It cleans, and I've never had it build up either. A while back I got an email with a list of all the things you can use it for. It is petroleum based, I think. I also think it is fairly safe to use. I like it cause it cleans out all the oil build up/residue.

So, yea, I'm in the sandbox too!!!:P

Most DSM are made with plastic, rubber, teflon and other materials which can be harmed by lubricants and/or WD-40 type cleaners. Our machines are "industrial" and the majority of the parts are metal and designed to run at high speeds.

OK CJ,

I decided that I'd pose this question to my research engineers and see how much info they can give me. As I expected...a lot! LOL Here are two of the responses:

1. WD-40 was developed for water displacement (WD) and the 40th recipe was the charm. It turns out that it does a lot of other things well too.

If you put large amounts of WD-40 on a surface and let it air dry, it will leave a film behind. I do not think it would cause build up in a quilting machine unless you just kept spraying it on and fibers began collecting on the wet surfaces. As long as you wipe everything down after using it there should be no problem.

2. The official WD-40 web site lists thousands of uses for it. I have always been amazed at how well it works at so many things.

See: http://www.wd40.com/uses-tips/

This is my favorite use........ Spew Alert!

Removes rollerblade marks from kitchen floors (be sure to wipe floor clean after using WD-40),

Nuh uh, if you've rollerbladed in my kitchen, you think I'm gonna make it easier for you to do it again?

My other fav was that it removes crayon from screen doors...... Interesting.

This is what Deloa's husband says about WD-40: "Don't use it on your machine!" Yelp, that is what he says. He says aluminum is porus and that WD-40 will get in the crevices and then attract dirt. He says just clean and oil your machine and forget the WD-40. So, that is what I have decided to do. He just "spalined" it good to me.:D

It looks like there are strong opinions out there regarding the use of WD-40 on our machines. Guess we'll have to decide for ourselves whether it's a good thing to do. For myself, I trust APQS to not steer us wrong, and they advocate the use of WD-40 in cleaning the hook assembly - and nothing else.

One question for those who don't use WD-40 - what do you use to clean oil and lint buildup in the hook area? Maybe there are alternatives for those who can't (or won't) use WD-40.

Well, most of you use the stuff and aren't having any trouble, and it is after all what APQS recommends. My husband is a senior mechanical engineer and he says WD-40 should not be anywhere near a sewing machine. When he gets back from New Orleans, I'm going to ask him to be more specific... I never asked him why.

I have an antique Singer (all metal!) and had it totally refurbed, rewired, etc. I was told the same for it, NEVER put WD-40 anywhere near it.

Usually, I trust my hubby's input when it comes to this stuff... but not always. LOL

I've been using WD40 on my APQS machines for almost 13 years. An easy way to clean it out is to pour rubbing alcohol from the top *(remove throat plate) while the machine is running slowly. I put a little rubbermaid bowl underneath to catch the alcohol, and you wouldn't believe what washes out sometimes!

Then add a drop of oil to the hook and you're ready to roll. BTW, Mike from APQS is the one that suggested I use the alcohol to rinse it out, MANY years ago. He designed the machine and I trust his judgement implicitly, no matter what others say. :P

Archived