H.E.L.P.! Ink runs in fabric

Okay, so my friend and I are piecing this butterfly quilt. She meticulously cut out her own pattern for butterflies that we appliqued to the blocks using fusible interfacing of which the patterns were traced onto with an ink pen thinking it was permanent. Well, we had to wash a spot out of one of the blocks and there is now black streaks coming from around the butterfly (thinking it's from the ink pen). We have all the blocks assembled and ready for sashings. Is there something we can wash the quilt in after it's all said and done to prevent more ink spots from bleeding onto the white background? We have several hours already into this project and would hate to have to start over. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

post--13461904030993_thumb.jpg

Be advised not to apply any heat to the blocks before you wash the quilt. I think that will set the streaks. Since it is ink (you think) Synthrapol may not work to lift the extra pigments, but you could give it a try. Once you have committed to a removal technique, don't let the quilt dry until all the ink is removed.

Another thought--it looks like the butterflies are stitched around with black thread. Could it be it is the thread bleeding instead of ink from the pen?

Sew Clean, Oxyclean, and Grandma's Stain Remover are three products to investigate. I would start with the Sew Clean. It's an "orange" product--both color and smell, and will need to be washed out after application.

Good luck! There can't be that much ink if it was just marked on the edge of the fusible.

Please let us know of your progress and eventual solution to the problem. Hang in there!

Before reading the advice given here, on the block that ran, we used Grandma's Secret Spot Remover twice on it and it looks like it's mostly gone. We thought about the thread but you wouldn't think that black Gutermann thread would bleed, would you? Trying to remember what I used on others quilts that I blanket stitched around and can't recall, but it was black I know.

Thanks so much for your advice ladies. We are getting the sashings and blocks sewed together and after it's quilted, we'll see what happens. I may have to buy a HUGE bottle of Grandma's.;)

Archived