Calling it quits

Carolyn, Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think I am undervalueing my work. My prices are competitive with others. For around here my prices are way too high. Look at my website and see if you agree or disagree. If they are wrong I need to change them.

As far as renting my machine out, I don't know if anybody would be interested. It is a very old machine and it doesn't have a stitch regulator, so first attempts look like , I don't know what. Some of the stitches are really long and some are really short. It took me a long time to get pretty good with it. I would really have to spend a long time with somebody in order for them to get good with my machine. It is a perfectly good machine, just not top of the line. Of course, my desire to have a top of the line machine is what started all this mess.

Thanks for the ideas.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teresa, I feel so bad for you. I bought my Milli in January and that was for my own personal quilting. I have people begging me to quilt for them and I turn them down. I will refer them to this site and you. Who knows maybe something will get going for you! Marlin in Miami FL:)

Okay folks, here is the situation. I get to keep my machine for now. I have until the end of September to start making some money. I still have to pay my in-laws back ASAP (I'll figure something out). I am going to try all the ideas that everybody suggested. I still have one week before I go back to work, so I will be working on this stuff all next week. Hopefully things will turn around. Thanks to all of your for your love and concern. You are truly friends and some day I hope to meet all of you in person.

((((((All my APQS friends)))))))) *Big Hugs.

Glad you are getting a reprive for now. Hang in there if there's a will there's always a way...you'll see. ;)

Have you ever heard of "Martha Pullen"? She's the owner of "Sew Beautiful" magazine and owns a muti million $ heirloom sewing business that she started from nothing ( http://www.marthapullen.com). The reason why I ask is that several years ago she wrote a book called "You Can Make Money From Your Hobby" (I don't know if it is still available to purchase) But it basically lays out all of her struggles and obsticales that she came across when she was trying to get her business started and the number of times that she thought that her business would not survive do to money issues. She explains in her book that every time that she thought that the business would not survive she would say a little prayer and "turn her problem she was having over to God" and it worked itself out. She also says that her success is do to "G.R.A.C.E."

God

Resilience

Action

Creativity

Enthusiasm

The book is only about 237 pages long and is broken up into 4 parts~

Part 1 is the possibilities...exploring ways to profit from your hobby

Part 2 is the plan...going from free to fee

Part 3 is the promotion..creating visibility

Part 4 is the people...likability, loyalty and leadership skills

Her book is very inspirational and has a lot of excellent advice about getting a sewing type business not only up and running but making it profitable as well.

It's the type of book that once you read it you will feel that you too can make your dream into a reality.

I hope that you can find a way to get your business strong enough to survive and to pay off the loan you have with your in-laws.

Joann

Teresa,

It sounds to me like the biggest issue is paying back your in-laws. Since you are going to be working again, if you can, I think I would take that money from working and work that debt down as fast as I can. I think that as that happens, the pressure to make the machine pay for itself and/or sell it, will drastically reduce.

Something I also read a long time ago was that most successfully people fail a number of times before finally coming up with the right approach. I **think** it was Henry Ford who when bankrupt either one or two times prior to his success and he wasn't the only one. What if he had quit in discouragement after the first failed attempt?

Hang in there girl!!!! We are all pulling for you.

Gail

Teresa,

When you first stated that you needed to quit and sell your machine, I figured that your decision was final and my inclination was to help you in that direction.

Now after reading all these posts over the past few days, I see that the door for you was not completely closed...YEAH!

I now feel strongly that I should send you my next quilt to be quilted! I'm going to put my money where my mouth is!...Now to get piecing...hmmm...I think it's time to start that bargello quilt I designed for my son. It may take me a month, but I'll get it to you!

KK (Deb)

Guest Linda S

Teresa - I'm so glad you'll get to give it another shot for now. I'm praying for you and hoping for the very best. Get your samples out there and you will have folks flocking in!

Linda

Teresa -

I am so glad that you are not giving up! You have fought a LONG and

tough battle - the first year is ALWAYS the worst (or so they say...) hope so,

I moved my machine in here last August!

Anyway - I LOVE what Deb said! I think that would be a great way to help

support one another. Can and only imagine the face my DH would make if

he found out that I sent a quilt out to be quilted! That would be something!

Thank God he is such a man though - it's all like "water off a duck" to him.

Not only does he NOT hold a grudge, he really does forget and forgive!

P.S. sounds to me like your only problem is your inlaws - personally - I just

don't speak to mine anymore - I perfer to enjoy my life!

And rember my motto "NOTHING WORTH HAVING COMES EASY!" I think I will

have my husband tattoo this on me somewhere - lower arm to show the

customer or someplace else......;)

Hang in there little camper - things will happen - GOOD THINGS!

I haven't posted anything for awhile but when I started reading you post I felt compelled to jot down a note or two. When I started my little quilting business just 18 short months ago I borrowed $25 000.00 and in my first year in business I took an $11 000.00 loss. But thanks to an amazing accountant he turned things aroung for my family. My husban on paper now owns 75% of the business which allows him to write off 75% of my current loss. Also all of the write offs for having a business in your home should add up as well. Now I have had a laywer draw up papers, kind of like a pre-nup where by in the case of divorce my husband has to give my back my company without charging me a dime. So I've got myself protected. Mabey if money and paying off the loan is one of the biggest obstacles I would say talk to an account. There job is to help you with you business finances. You never know what thing they may be able to help figure out. And once the pressue is off it sure makes it easier to concentrate on the business.

I also have to say that the lady that commented on when one door opens someone opens a window. I'm currently battling some major health issues and still must make my monthly payment, and word got out that because I'm ill I'm no longer taking quilts. Well I'm crushed but I'm not out. I've been using the time to piece and quilt a competion quilt. I just pulled it off my fram before I logged on. I must say It's made all the up's and downs worth while.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this, you have to look at all aspects of what you do not just the money. Money is not everyhting, but passion sure gives way to some amazing things. So good for you. Keep working and talk to an accountant and perhaps rework the business finances to your family advantage. My husban, myself and the business file out income tax together and we take full advantage fo operating at a loss perhaps you can too.

Good luck and god bless.

PS Is there a note on this forun detailing how to post a picture, I'd really like to share some of my photos.

Tina

The Quilt Lady

what a great post, I think everone considering buying a machine should read this, that this is a real business that takes hard work and dedication and perservence. You have to be creative and think outside the box to make it work for you, I have made notes of the many great ideas so when I start looking for customers, i'll have amo!

Also I would suggest reading "A Referral of a Lifetime" by Tim Templeton

I think our business relies heavily on refferals and this book really shows you how to cultivate that system!

• 2 months later...

Theresa,

Here is my two cents worth:

1.) Maybe you need a different business model for your area. Have you thought about the possibility of "renting" time out on your machine? I don't see alot of that here on the west coast, but would imagine it would be wildly popular if someone set up a studio where time on the machine is shared. This way, you can get other people to at least help you pay for the time that your machine is not being used by you.

2.) Have you thought about advertising through Google so you can escape your problem with low demand in your area? You can run an ad through Google Ad Sense, and target potential customers in specific geographic areas, by restricting the ad to only those areas you want your ad to appear. Its free to sign up and you only pay for the "click throughs". You can limit your budget to whatever dollar amount you want to spend.

3.) I know everyone has a different opinion, but I honestly feel that there isn't a very big demand for ready-made quilts. There are alot of "designer quilts" being made in the factory today that you'll have a hard time competing with on price.

4.) I still say that you long arm quilters need to develop a business association where you can pool your resources to study the market, formally, so you can understand changing demand and supply side conditions. It can be so difficult to struggle on your own, without the information you need to know what your options are. I know that fabric companies do this as do quilt shop owners and machine manufacturers. I personally feel that APQS should play a role in helping you to understand your market if they are going to be selling this dream to owners without a realistic picture of what the market is looking like out there in terms of what your real market opportunities are.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you Theresa, I think we all feel your pain! You are facing what many others might have to deal with at one point or another, so know that you are not alone and are braving this in solidarity.

Kathy

Well Mary Beth, Happily ever after might be a bit of a stretch....

I do get to keep my machine. I only owe $500 more on it, so I can keep it.

I did my ST. Jude quilt and the article appeared in the paper Friday

www.stategazette.com

Hopefully that will bring some business. I entered Innovations and had my quilt hang there, so that will help get my name out.

I have one customer quilt here to do.

I'm going to spend this week while we are on fall break from school making a bunch of stuff for a big Christmas open house at my house the third week of December.

I'm making quilts to donate to the hospital. I'm working on a deal with the nursing home to have their residents' families be able to order personalized

lap quilts for $25.00 each. (Very simple design, clearance aisle fabrics).

I'm still hanging brochures everywhere and talking to everyone. I'm going to order magnetic signs for my car, or one of those back window decals.

I haven't given up, but I still dont' have the customers.

One thing I'm going to do this week is drive back to that quilt store in Jackson and pick up my sampler quilt and my brochures. I have not gotten a single phone call from her or her customers, and I know they just finished up a Christmas quilt project Wednesday before this past.

SO, that's my story.

Teresa - nice quilt! I really like it - and would like to see a bigger photo -

what a fun quilt with great colors!

Do you have a webshots page? I have not done that yet.... thinking about

it.

I hope things pick-up for you - really - your do nice work! I know last year

I was keeping busy just by taking my time on the quilts I did have. Not very

many - but I did my best. This year now word has spread and I am getting

many of the local people coming to me. I have about 20 quilts here. Some

really bigs ones - and know of a few more yet to come. I am full for getting

them done by Christmas - but yet I take in little ones that I can throw-on

and get done right away. It is hard to turn away people - when you were

at the point of needed customer before..... At least this year I will NOT be

quilting on Christmas eve and day!!! (I did it for a snowbird that was home

for the holidays) NOT this year!!!

At least my machine was paid in full when I brought it home, or I would

have been much more stressed out about $$ and the lack of business. It

has turned around big time for me - and I pray that it will - very SOON for

you too!!;)

hopefully the worst is behind you. once the machine is paid

for you won't have that over your head.

my daughter and i bought a milli together so that has

helped. we both work on it and have already got some

orders. the trick for us is to get our name out. and that

we are doing business. there is alot to do . i am thankful

for her she is the front person and i am the back office

person. i kid her and tell her its a sweat shop.

stay with it as long as you can. get your name out there

anyway you can. :)

Teresa,

I just checked out the newspaper article and also your home web site and I think you are doing a terrific job with your quilts.

I am very glad to learn you are not giving up on this. Keep hanging in there and when the going gets tough down the road, always keep your eyes on the horizon, not focused on the "moment" your are currently dealing with. You will pull through the tough times; just remember to always focus forward. Always. :)

If we don't experience the "tough times" in our lives, we'll never really appreciate all of the "wonderful times and good things" in our lives. (food for thought and thread for quilt...) ;)

Shana

• 5 months later...

Sorry to hear you are giving up Theresa. I am in the process of buying a LA. Want to go into business, I dont have a customer base yet, and wont until I master my machine, then I'll advertise. If I can make a living, fine, if not. thats fine too. My hubby thinks I should make money to pay for this "toy", I pointed out to him that the $15,000.00 or so "tools", boat and quad, not to mention new hunting rifle and scoope, have not contributed anything to the income in this family. I have worked hard and I want this. Period. The kids are gone and its "my time" now.

I hope things work out for you.

Monika

Teresa, whoever said "chin up chickie" is priceless. Look at the photo here and answer one question. Would you buy this woman's services? Of course, you would. It happens to be a sample of stitching that Myrna did. This is what is missing from your longarm web site, samples of your stitching capabilities. SHOW WHAT YOU SELL. Any brochures you distribute should show how adept you are at stitching. Print only a few because later you will want to update it. DO NOT SHOW FINISHED WHOLE QUILTS! You are not selling piecing or quilts. Do some stitching in fancy threads to show what is available. Pick your top five to ten samples of stitching and give them great names under each illustrated boxed picture. Then show a piece of fabric with leaves stitched in different thread colors for them to choose.

Keep your machine since that is what you love to do. Get another job to cover the payments on it. Try to get a job where you will be meeting lots of women. I sold Tupperware in the late 70's so I don't know what their current sales set up is like, but I met so many women. To display your Tupperware at parties, first lay down a small quilt and/or some placemats in your chicken theme. Very cute, by the way. Let everyone know that your goal in selling Tupperware is to pay for your longarm machine and can they help you by booking more parties and by the way, your placemats are for sale, along with your quilting services. If they book a party with you, you'll give them this cute postcard sized quilt as a thank you gift. Have a few of these from which they can select their favorite one. Remember to do sample stitches so that they can see what a great longarm quilter you are.

The bonus is or at least it was, that by recruiting others to also sell Tupperware, you get a free car! For the first six months you will be fully emersed in the other job but keep your eye on the prize and keep working toward your goal. Where there is a will, there is always a way.

I'll look forward to seeing the changes on your web site. Let me know when you have something new to post. Looks like there are a lot of us rooting for you to be successful. Put the chicken on everything you hand out to people. It's a cute logo. Make a purse and a large quilted tote in the chicken theme too. Hey, maybe you will eventually be known as the chicken supplier of just about anything in the quilted world. Can you longarm chicks Chickie?

Vicki

Archived