Calling it quits

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you considered taking another part-time job that would give you a break from the stress of trying to pay for your machine? Something that would take you out of your realm of gloom for a few hours a week, give you a chance to meet new people, and give you a side income until the business end of quilting takes off, could really change your perspective on things. Your husband might also be more supportive of this idea if the ongoing payments for your machine came from another source until paying customers were more reliable.

Oops, somehow when I jumped in with my "great idea" in this post I missed page two. Sounds like you've worked on this a great deal and have a solution in mind. Anyway, best wishes to you whatever you decide to do in the future and please, always keep in touch.

Of course, I can't leave without putting in just another 2 cents worth. (Not sure if that's per square inch or just straight cents :) ) Don't you get those dozens of credit offers in the mail every week like the rest of us? While credit can be it's own kind of trap, I'd rather owe the bank every month then my mother-in-law ANY DAY!

Good luck.

~~ Eva H.

HI All,

I'm here. I had to chuckle when I read the post that said,

"Have you considered taking another part-time job that would give you a break from the stress of trying to pay for your machine?"

I work full time. I leave my house at 6:30 every morning and get back home at around 5:00 in the evening.

I haven't done much new with the longarm business because there is so much other stuff going on right now. I get tenure at work this year, if I complete the mountains of paperwork that accompany the process. That is all due by Wednesday.

AND>>> My Master's portfolio is due on Thursday of next week. That involves about 100 typewritten pages, rationale explanations, student work samples, etc.

AND>>> My boss who has cancer has taken a big turn for the worst. His experimental treatment wasn't approved. I'm trying to get his prayer quilt done.

AND>>> I've got two Relay for Life donation quilts to make.

So, I'm busy. Not with customer quilts; just with life.

Oh, and one more thing. My son graduates from college in PA on Friday the 23rd and we have to drive up there to pick up all his stuff from the apartment so he can move back in here until he finds a job. Does anybody need to hire an auto restorer/refinisher?

Well, I have been thinking about applying at Walmart for the remodeling. LOL I'm there enough anyway.

Seriously, I can't wait for school to be out so I can focus on quilting and going to craft shows with some of my stuff.

Thanks to everybody for all your support, encouragement, and fantastic ideas.

To heck with WalMArt giving me a job....I just think they should send me stock certificates each month...They don't see my as often as they use to, but in Reno the stores are 24 hours. It was nothing to see me wondering the fabric department at 2a for thread to finish a quilt. The ones in Reno carried the Signature threads.

Oh, Glenda...you aren't alone...They will be closing ALL of the fabric departments no matter where you are. The new owners have decided that they aren't making any money with that department so they are taking them all out. As each store is remodeled or a new one is built they will all be gone soon. You will only be able to find a select few craft items in your new stores/remodels. They have stated: "That the hobby stores are the place for that not here".

Alas, Our fabric and crafts department is gone as well. Now I have to drive an hour to the closest hobby/crafts store. It's really a bummer when you realize you've lost one knitting needle, or you run out of black thread at 11 p.m.

I guess I'll be relying on internet ordering of fabrics and supplies even more than I had been.

I don't know how true this is, [got it from an employee] that the director or person in charge of revamping is the former CEO of K mart. Hmmm, what does that tell us ? Our store is really going downhill !! :mad: They have discontiued so many things or are always out of something. I always have to go to another store. The days of one-stop shopping are over ! That's progress ? Glenda

Archived