How to set spacing between panto's

I have a tip for a trick I use when ending pantos......

As Linda Stella said most pantos are designed to be nesting these days. So like her, I use a half row at the top and when I get to the bottom, I just fill the quilt space with that part of the row that is required to fill it.

And that is where I can offer my tip. Sometimes from the back of the machine, it is hard to know where quilt to so that the stitching doesn't end up off the canvas

Hopefully I've attached a photo at the bottom. You will see on this pattern (Jodi Beamish - popcorn) I have overlayed some green plastic on the table. Using the laser light, I place the green plastic along the line equivalent to the sides and end of the quilt. I then use this as my guide for where to quilt to. Where the pattern goes off the quilt - I simply run along to the next part of the pattern within the 1/4 inch seam allowance that my client will use to attach the binding. It makes ending the panto very easy and prevents quilting ouside the quilt area.

Here in Australia we call the plastic I have used overhead transparency film. I had one sheet and cut it into thin sections. I'm sure there are plenty of other things that can be used. The beauty of this plastic was that it can be easily sat on the top and static electricity will generally kepp it in place for the one traverse required to end the panto.

Cheers

Cherie in Australia

Originally posted by Janet Mitchell

I forgot to add that I have used partial rows at the beginning and end of quilts for years and NOT a single person has ever had a problem with that; if they even realized that was how it was quilted. After all; that is what a panto is; an all over pattern!

Janet,

Thank-you, I have had many quilt tops quilted with a panot for years. As a customer I don't mind 1/2 rows at the end of the quilt. But, now that I am the quilter, I have been worrying about getting started.

Archived