HELP!!!! STASH IS OUT OF CONTROL

mswings

OMG!!! How do you store it all???? I have about 65 plastic bins full of about 10-20 yds each. I have everything in my bassement which doesn't get any sunlight (by design) so as to not fade my fabric. What kind of shelving should I get?? My DH says I may need an intervention:;););) HELLP!!!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG!!! How do you store it all???? I have about 65 plastic bins full of about 10-20 yds each. I have everything in my bassement which doesn't get any sunlight (by design) so as to not fade my fabric. What kind of shelving should I get?? My DH says I may need an intervention:;););) HELLP!!!

And what's wrong with having a stash that's out of control? Frankly, in our circa 1929 house with lath and plaster walls, no insulation, and drafty windows, the sewing room closet (where the stash is primarily located) is the only "insulation" in the house.

However, back to our question. I'm with Roxanne, probably Gorilla racks. I also have some stored in the basement that I've re-wrapped onto empty bolts just to make it easier to see what I've got. I have a horrid habit of shopping for more fabric, instead of using what I've already got. This works for the larger pieces, greater than 1 yard cuts. Anything smaller is in plastic drawers in the sewing room, sorted by color. I've also got the charm squares separated, and then a whole bin of "strings" (smaller than 2" wide) in the basement.

I've just managed to tear myself away from the longarm and the current quilt, but then got sucked into this forum. Off to what I need to do next.

And what's wrong with having a stash that's out of control? Frankly, in our circa 1929 house with lath and plaster walls, no insulation, and drafty windows, the sewing room closet (where the stash is primarily located) is the only "insulation" in the house.

However, back to our question. I'm with Roxanne, probably Gorilla racks. I also have some stored in the basement that I've re-wrapped onto empty bolts just to make it easier to see what I've got. I have a horrid habit of shopping for more fabric, instead of using what I've already got. This works for the larger pieces, greater than 1 yard cuts. Anything smaller is in plastic drawers in the sewing room, sorted by color. I've also got the charm squares separated, and then a whole bin of "strings" (smaller than 2" wide) in the basement.

I've just managed to tear myself away from the longarm and the current quilt, but then got sucked into this forum. Off to what I need to do next.

I never have the "perfect fabric" for new projects so off to the fabric store I go. I'm not sure where you all live but be careful using empty cardboard bolt thingys. I'm told "silverfish" love them. I use one of my 6 in X 24in rulers to wrap the fabric like the cardboard thingys and them pull out the ruler leaving my fabric perfectly folded. I can store another yard of fabric where the "cardboard" took up space. LOL, we're bad!!!!

I never have the "perfect fabric" for new projects so off to the fabric store I go. I'm not sure where you all live but be careful using empty cardboard bolt thingys. I'm told "silverfish" love them. I use one of my 6 in X 24in rulers to wrap the fabric like the cardboard thingys and them pull out the ruler leaving my fabric perfectly folded. I can store another yard of fabric where the "cardboard" took up space. LOL, we're bad!!!!

I have a sign on my wall that says...."There is no such thing as TOO MUCH FABRIC" and I have to agree...I don't have 65 bins but I have about 30 and needing more.....

So if you need an intervention...we all do...and since there are more of us than them....we win...:P:P:P

I have a sign on my wall that says...."There is no such thing as TOO MUCH FABRIC" and I have to agree...I don't have 65 bins but I have about 30 and needing more.....

So if you need an intervention...we all do...and since there are more of us than them....we win...:P:P:P

Check out displaysonline.com They have a shelf that holds 150 bolts of fabric. Plus lots of other options. My DH is going to build one for me. I saw shelving at the Fabric Shack in Waynesville, OH last week that was made specifically for them by a handyman. (read handy man!) I have about 150 to 160 bolts, plus whatever is folded. (a lot!!) I was going to ask JoAnn's if they will save the empty cardboard for me to wrap my folded stuff.

And you are right, Bonnie! There is no such thing as too much fabric!!!:P:P:P

Check out displaysonline.com They have a shelf that holds 150 bolts of fabric. Plus lots of other options. My DH is going to build one for me. I saw shelving at the Fabric Shack in Waynesville, OH last week that was made specifically for them by a handyman. (read handy man!) I have about 150 to 160 bolts, plus whatever is folded. (a lot!!) I was going to ask JoAnn's if they will save the empty cardboard for me to wrap my folded stuff.

And you are right, Bonnie! There is no such thing as too much fabric!!!:P:P:P

My problem in using plastic bins, even the see-through type, is I forget what's in there. I don't see it readily. I really prefer my open shelves so I can see exactly what I've got. I have to regularly open my bins and then of course it's "Oh yeah, oh, yeah," I'm trying to get as much up onto shelves as I can. If you're afraid of the sunlight, etc, I did see a lovely setup with roman blinds she made to fit her book/fabric cases, and she can just pull them up when she's working and see exactly what she's got.

p.s. a quilter just never has enough fabric or thread......yup, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

My problem in using plastic bins, even the see-through type, is I forget what's in there. I don't see it readily. I really prefer my open shelves so I can see exactly what I've got. I have to regularly open my bins and then of course it's "Oh yeah, oh, yeah," I'm trying to get as much up onto shelves as I can. If you're afraid of the sunlight, etc, I did see a lovely setup with roman blinds she made to fit her book/fabric cases, and she can just pull them up when she's working and see exactly what she's got.

p.s. a quilter just never has enough fabric or thread......yup, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Originally posted by CindyT

I've promised myself I cannot buy any more plastic bins. ;) Six months and counting! Good luck, Virginia!

I'm so doing this myself...although I did buy a bunch of batiks recently for a block exchange, but don't think I will play after all.....but I did just finish a baby quilt from fat quarter stash...I was so proud of myself...and then I was amazed at what I actually had in that bucket of fat quarters.:P:P:P

Archived