HELP!!!! STASH IS OUT OF CONTROL

mswings

Lisa,

What did you use to cut the corrugated templast ?

On fabric, I love, love it. However I just went through fabric boxes from a quilter who passed away. It is sad to see bits of projects cut and no idea what it was for. I want to keep my stash and projects organized and manageable.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lisa,

On fabric, I love, love it. However I just went through fabric boxes from a quilter who passed away. It is sad to see bits of projects cut and no idea what it was for. I want to keep my stash and projects organized and manageable.

As I approach my 67th birthday I did some very serious contemplation on my "sewing and quilting life" these past few months. I have given away a ton of fabric, patterns and books. I know in my heart of heart that I will never even make a dent in what I have accumulated in the past decade of this hobby. This has "freed" me immensely! I reorganized all my remaining fabrics---the ones I thought were really important, and that I might possibly use at some point in time. Actually, I still keep a box in my sewing room, and when I come across a fabric I feel I may never have use for, or I put it in the box. I take the fabrics I don't much care for or think I will never use in my lifetime--to quilt retreats which I attend twice a year (it just disappears!)---other quilters love free fabric. I donate it as a tax deduction to the local crafters resale shop, or I donate it to our Martha Quilt project. If I have time, I cut it up and make string quilts which then get donated.

I have reorganized most of my remaining fabrics much like Lisa has. It is so much nicer to be able to see and reach the fabrics. I like to see my "stash" and this is the best system I've used. I only buy fabric now if "I don't have it, and need it for a project"---I don't go fabric shopping willy-nilly anymore. Buying yards of this or that just because I like it, it's on sale, or "I might need it someday". That is what got me the "overwhelmed" with fabric pridicament to start with---and I'm not going to re-visit that part of my quilting life yet again.

I pick a project. Look through my fabric for what works--if I can't find it---then I go and buy exactly what I need. Not one yard or half yard more than that. I also don't keep every scrap or bit of fabric anylonger---thinking that I will use it "someday". This is my new hard cruel "fabric reality".

I am not going to live forever, much as I would like to! I am not going ever use up what I have--do all those project running around in my head---and I'm a fabric & thread addict---knowing all this about myself, I have curbed my impulsive fabric buying. The result is I'm so much happier having done this. I know it's not for everyone---but, it's my story, and I'm sticking to it! :D

post--13461904301831_thumb.jpg

As I approach my 67th birthday I did some very serious contemplation on my "sewing and quilting life" these past few months. I have given away a ton of fabric, patterns and books. I know in my heart of heart that I will never even make a dent in what I have accumulated in the past decade of this hobby. This has "freed" me immensely! I reorganized all my remaining fabrics---the ones I thought were really important, and that I might possibly use at some point in time. Actually, I still keep a box in my sewing room, and when I come across a fabric I feel I may never have use for, or I put it in the box. I take the fabrics I don't much care for or think I will never use in my lifetime--to quilt retreats which I attend twice a year (it just disappears!)---other quilters love free fabric. I donate it as a tax deduction to the local crafters resale shop, or I donate it to our Martha Quilt project. If I have time, I cut it up and make string quilts which then get donated.

I have reorganized most of my remaining fabrics much like Lisa has. It is so much nicer to be able to see and reach the fabrics. I like to see my "stash" and this is the best system I've used. I only buy fabric now if "I don't have it, and need it for a project"---I don't go fabric shopping willy-nilly anymore. Buying yards of this or that just because I like it, it's on sale, or "I might need it someday". That is what got me the "overwhelmed" with fabric pridicament to start with---and I'm not going to re-visit that part of my quilting life yet again.

I pick a project. Look through my fabric for what works--if I can't find it---then I go and buy exactly what I need. Not one yard or half yard more than that. I also don't keep every scrap or bit of fabric anylonger---thinking that I will use it "someday". This is my new hard cruel "fabric reality".

I am not going to live forever, much as I would like to! I am not going ever use up what I have--do all those project running around in my head---and I'm a fabric & thread addict---knowing all this about myself, I have curbed my impulsive fabric buying. The result is I'm so much happier having done this. I know it's not for everyone---but, it's my story, and I'm sticking to it! :D

Chrome shelving from Costco, get two shelf units with six shelves each.

You can set them up with a 4' space between them, stagger 4 of the 6 shelves into that space and get 12' of storage for tubs out of the two sets.

Course, seeing that beautiful white wall of cabinets full of beautifully organized fabric is enough to make me drool.......

s

Chrome shelving from Costco, get two shelf units with six shelves each.

You can set them up with a 4' space between them, stagger 4 of the 6 shelves into that space and get 12' of storage for tubs out of the two sets.

Course, seeing that beautiful white wall of cabinets full of beautifully organized fabric is enough to make me drool.......

s

Lisa,

Your new studio is beautiful! All that space and organization is envious! What a lovely place to create! I have just started using a similar vertical method to store my remaining fabric stash (see my other posting about "destashing)---Thanks for the tip on making notations about yardage is on the plastic storage bolts. Very useful info.

Lisa,

Your new studio is beautiful! All that space and organization is envious! What a lovely place to create! I have just started using a similar vertical method to store my remaining fabric stash (see my other posting about "destashing)---Thanks for the tip on making notations about yardage is on the plastic storage bolts. Very useful info.

Originally posted by PeggyB

Lisa,

Peggy this is why I have all my UFO's or at least a good share of them in Pizza style boxes or the ones you get at Michael's that are Scrapbook project boxes....I get them when they go on half price sale...so two for one deal.... They are 13" square and work great.

In the project boxes are all the material, pattern or a copy of pattern special threads if I used that completed blocks so it all goes back into the box when I clean up....Who knows but some day I will finish them all, but if not then Siana has it all in place and then she can when she wants to.

post--13461904302065_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by PeggyB

Lisa,

Peggy this is why I have all my UFO's or at least a good share of them in Pizza style boxes or the ones you get at Michael's that are Scrapbook project boxes....I get them when they go on half price sale...so two for one deal.... They are 13" square and work great.

In the project boxes are all the material, pattern or a copy of pattern special threads if I used that completed blocks so it all goes back into the box when I clean up....Who knows but some day I will finish them all, but if not then Siana has it all in place and then she can when she wants to.

I just use a straight edge T-Square and utility knife. It cuts easily between the grooves but you have to use a little more pressure to cut across the grooves.

As for "projects" I use the same system as Bonnie. I have 12"x12" clear plastic storage containers from the scrapbooking section and any partially started project lives in those sso I do not use the fabric accidentally and then you know:mad:

I have an appointment to run to but when I get back I can send photos (but really it is very similar to Bonnies)

Lisa:)

I just use a straight edge T-Square and utility knife. It cuts easily between the grooves but you have to use a little more pressure to cut across the grooves.

As for "projects" I use the same system as Bonnie. I have 12"x12" clear plastic storage containers from the scrapbooking section and any partially started project lives in those sso I do not use the fabric accidentally and then you know:mad:

I have an appointment to run to but when I get back I can send photos (but really it is very similar to Bonnies)

Lisa:)

I did the same thing as Lisa - cut my boards for most large pieces of fabric same height and width as cardboard bolts. It works wonderfully well. Trouble is I need more shelving and now my DH can see exactly how much fabric I really have.

When the price is right, I buy full bolts of fabric for backings and quilts. I quite often make pillow shams and 15 yards gives me enough for backs of large quilts, and backs of pillow shams.

Isn't buying fabric fun!!!!

Marilyn

I did the same thing as Lisa - cut my boards for most large pieces of fabric same height and width as cardboard bolts. It works wonderfully well. Trouble is I need more shelving and now my DH can see exactly how much fabric I really have.

When the price is right, I buy full bolts of fabric for backings and quilts. I quite often make pillow shams and 15 yards gives me enough for backs of large quilts, and backs of pillow shams.

Isn't buying fabric fun!!!!

Marilyn

You all make me plumb sick seeing all that beautiful organized fabric in a nice BIG ORGANIZED space! My room looks like a bomb went off in there and that is when it's clean! I have no more ideas as to how to arrange for more room and I just can't ask my DH to do another thing to help. He was been so darned sweet but I just have to deal with it. I guess I can live in your limelight!

You all make me plumb sick seeing all that beautiful organized fabric in a nice BIG ORGANIZED space! My room looks like a bomb went off in there and that is when it's clean! I have no more ideas as to how to arrange for more room and I just can't ask my DH to do another thing to help. He was been so darned sweet but I just have to deal with it. I guess I can live in your limelight!

• 9 months later...

First rename your "stash" to "pallete" now you feel so much better. :P I use stainless steel racks from Lowes and I have put wheels on all of them so I can move at will. I had started using the precut boards to wrap my fabric but that got too expensive so I now roll my fabric. I fold lengthwise and fold again lengthwise. Next I fold down the lengthwise piece of fabric until it is about 18" and then I roll across the lengthwisepiece of fabric. It is easier to spot the piece I need and pull it out of the stack. I will try to post a picture, haven't done that before.

post--13461905823966_thumb.jpg

If you have your house sprayed for bugs on a regular basis you shouldn't have to worry to much about silver fish. We only spray about once every 6 months and I have never seen a roach (eewww) or a silver fish. Our dogs have never had a flea. Just keep your eye peeled for any kind of buggie boo.

I'll admit to having a healthy stash of fabric. But of course, I almost always have to shop for something to round out the selection when choosing from the stash to make a quilt. A friend embroidered a sign for each of us in our quilt group and I have this hanging on the door to the closet where my stash is located. DH either hasn't seen it or chooses to ignore it! :P:P:P

post--13461905824609_thumb.jpg

Lisa, thanks for the photos of your beautiful new studio. Mine is in the works so suggestions are great. Your floor looks great; what did you use?

I plan to have a 10' wall of shelves with 4 sliding doors in front of them. The door will be covered with cork and then flannel, to be used as design space and to hide the stash.

What I use to store a lot of my fabric is an idea I saw at a quilt store. They'd bought bookcases and laid them on their sides so bolts of fabric could be stored upright in those sections. I'd asked if I could have the cardboard many times when I bought the end of the bolt, but you can cut cardboard from large boxes and use that also. Across the top of the bookcase are a couple of groupings on one side and extra long fabric for backings on the other side. The room I keep them in doesn't have direct sunlight, so I don't worry about that, but I really like being able to see what I have. It keeps me from buying duplicates...sometimes. For smaller amounts of fabric I bought 3 plastic bins that stack (think they came with wheels) and stack them 6 bins high and put a lable on the front saying what colors of fabric are in each bin. I have other storage also but have liked these two ideas.

Sharon G

Archived