Aunt Dora's Double Knit Polyester Bullet Proof Quilt!

There are heirloom quilts and then there is my heirloom quilt! This quilt was made by my Aunt Dora back in the 1970's as a gift to my Mom and Dad. She never married and was always making a "stretch & sew" project out of the bullet proof polyester fabrics of the day. I can't remember how many shirts she made for her grand niece's and nephew but there were plenty. Anyway, this quilt is made from her many scraps of double knit polyester fabrics and a sheet for a backer. She tied the quilt and that was fine for awhile, but it was now getting so stretchy that I did a terry twist in the blocks and circled the tied spots and will leave them there. This quilt probably weighs a good 20 lbs and to sleep under it, you need to be in good physical condition to be able to turn over! But this is the only quilt that has been handed down so it is my heirloom quilt. My aunt and I were always close so I was especially pleased when my Mom wanted me to have it. This Bullet Proof quilt has been folded up in my closet for at least 20 years and I finially got it out yesterday and got it finished today. I will always cherish this "Charlie Brown" quilt. Here is a pic of how it turned out.

Thanks for looking.

2697560570094956607S600x600Q85.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are heirloom quilts and then there is my heirloom quilt! This quilt was made by my Aunt Dora back in the 1970's as a gift to my Mom and Dad. She never married and was always making a "stretch & sew" project out of the bullet proof polyester fabrics of the day. I can't remember how many shirts she made for her grand niece's and nephew but there were plenty. Anyway, this quilt is made from her many scraps of double knit polyester fabrics and a sheet for a backer. She tied the quilt and that was fine for awhile, but it was now getting so stretchy that I did a terry twist in the blocks and circled the tied spots and will leave them there. This quilt probably weighs a good 20 lbs and to sleep under it, you need to be in good physical condition to be able to turn over! But this is the only quilt that has been handed down so it is my heirloom quilt. My aunt and I were always close so I was especially pleased when my Mom wanted me to have it. This Bullet Proof quilt has been folded up in my closet for at least 20 years and I finially got it out yesterday and got it finished today. I will always cherish this "Charlie Brown" quilt. Here is a pic of how it turned out.

Thanks for looking.

2697560570094956607S600x600Q85.jpg

that's so great Patty, it certainly has style. and incredibly warm I bet. you did good I didn't read if you had to add another backing or not

I have a friend that asked me a couple of years ago if I would repair a quilt his Gramma had made for him. And being "a quilter" I said of course I could do it (think too big for my britches here) he brought the quilt and it was wool squares(long since felted by many washings) double knits (yes I do understand "bullet proof") single knits maybe some bonded wools remember them and one fabric that had long time given up the ghost no idea what filled those squares. took me a year to find enough double knit to patch all the missing fabric. (My neighbor was using it to cover her parrot at night) I fixed the quilt he was very very happy a little overwhelmed with the bill but he paid it but I am a bit slower to jump in having been humbled by the greatness and durability of double knits

that's so great Patty, it certainly has style. and incredibly warm I bet. you did good I didn't read if you had to add another backing or not

I have a friend that asked me a couple of years ago if I would repair a quilt his Gramma had made for him. And being "a quilter" I said of course I could do it (think too big for my britches here) he brought the quilt and it was wool squares(long since felted by many washings) double knits (yes I do understand "bullet proof") single knits maybe some bonded wools remember them and one fabric that had long time given up the ghost no idea what filled those squares. took me a year to find enough double knit to patch all the missing fabric. (My neighbor was using it to cover her parrot at night) I fixed the quilt he was very very happy a little overwhelmed with the bill but he paid it but I am a bit slower to jump in having been humbled by the greatness and durability of double knits

Archived