Choosing - Lenni vs Nolting

I'm still in the research phase - plan to buy a longarm next spring. I have test driven every longarm I have seen at various quilt shows for the bast couple of years.

I've narrowed the search to the Lenni and the Nolting Fun Quilter 20. Many others were crossed off the list for vibration, general unsturdiness or excessive cost.

What made you choose the Lenni?

Kim

I'm still in the research phase - plan to buy a longarm next spring. I have test driven every longarm I have seen at various quilt shows for the bast couple of years.

I've narrowed the search to the Lenni and the Nolting Fun Quilter 20. Many others were crossed off the list for vibration, general unsturdiness or excessive cost.

What made you choose the Lenni?

Kim

Hey Kim

I won't say anything about the Nolting as I have never actually seen or tried it. I can say that when I was researching to buy a long arm machine I found the Lenni to be the best deal for what you got. I had compared prices and found the Lenni was a commercial grade machine at an affordable price and the quality and customer service are over the top. I also like that you can fix almost any problem yourself and don't usually have to send the machine off for service. have had my Lenni for 2 years and have been totally satisfied with no problems what so ever.

Hey Kim

I won't say anything about the Nolting as I have never actually seen or tried it. I can say that when I was researching to buy a long arm machine I found the Lenni to be the best deal for what you got. I had compared prices and found the Lenni was a commercial grade machine at an affordable price and the quality and customer service are over the top. I also like that you can fix almost any problem yourself and don't usually have to send the machine off for service. have had my Lenni for 2 years and have been totally satisfied with no problems what so ever.

My choice of the lenni and the determining factor was the size of the pocket book, the size of the room to put it in, and the size of the machine itself.. Also being a bit smaller I was told it weighed a lot less than the other APQS machines, and with my structural body parts failing, and giving pain most all of the time, I couldn't see anything smart about ordering bigger and hurting more.

There are times I wish Lenni had a larger throat area, then think of the added cost, and different table, etc... I just keep Lenni and will be getting some compatible additions to it.. I hope in about a year.

Cost of machine, plus shipping, taxes if any, divided by the number of years you still have in you for quilting will give you the price per year, then estimate the number of quilts you will be able to do in one year, and divide that into the cost per year, and it will give you the rough estimate of what that machine will cost you per quilt. Remember to add things like oil, threads, needles, emery cloth, canned air or a small compressor, extra bobbin casings, and extra bobbins, they all go for the machine.. Thread socks, thread spool/cone holders, stencils, templates etc.. I'd not count as they aren't necessary to keep the machine running good and stitching right.

Good luck, whatever your choice, and prayers you will be happy with that decision..

RitaR

My choice of the lenni and the determining factor was the size of the pocket book, the size of the room to put it in, and the size of the machine itself.. Also being a bit smaller I was told it weighed a lot less than the other APQS machines, and with my structural body parts failing, and giving pain most all of the time, I couldn't see anything smart about ordering bigger and hurting more.

There are times I wish Lenni had a larger throat area, then think of the added cost, and different table, etc... I just keep Lenni and will be getting some compatible additions to it.. I hope in about a year.

Cost of machine, plus shipping, taxes if any, divided by the number of years you still have in you for quilting will give you the price per year, then estimate the number of quilts you will be able to do in one year, and divide that into the cost per year, and it will give you the rough estimate of what that machine will cost you per quilt. Remember to add things like oil, threads, needles, emery cloth, canned air or a small compressor, extra bobbin casings, and extra bobbins, they all go for the machine.. Thread socks, thread spool/cone holders, stencils, templates etc.. I'd not count as they aren't necessary to keep the machine running good and stitching right.

Good luck, whatever your choice, and prayers you will be happy with that decision..

RitaR

Kim, I have owned three Noltings and cannot imagine owning anything else. I have never had a problem with any of my machines. Not only are the machines great, but the tables are awesome, too. There is a bar at the bottom that holds two rolls of batting and there is a lever you can lift to raise up the quilt top to get to the batting underneath. And customer service is awesome. You will probably hear all kinds of kudos for the Lenni at this site because this is an APQS site, so I would suggest you also take this poll over at the Nolting chat site on Yahoo Groups if you haven't already done so. I don't like doing long posts, so if you have any questions about the Nolting machines, feel free to email me at litlquilter@comcast.net.

Kim, I have owned three Noltings and cannot imagine owning anything else. I have never had a problem with any of my machines. Not only are the machines great, but the tables are awesome, too. There is a bar at the bottom that holds two rolls of batting and there is a lever you can lift to raise up the quilt top to get to the batting underneath. And customer service is awesome. You will probably hear all kinds of kudos for the Lenni at this site because this is an APQS site, so I would suggest you also take this poll over at the Nolting chat site on Yahoo Groups if you haven't already done so. I don't like doing long posts, so if you have any questions about the Nolting machines, feel free to email me at litlquilter@comcast.net.

I have a Nolting and Love it!!;)

Before I got my machine I test drove and research all the Longarms and I decided on the Nolting. The cust service is excellent.

There is a Nolting group on Yahoo that you can join and ask questions.

I have had not one problem with my machine and it is a workhorse.

Buying a LA is just like buying a car..you have to get what you want and what you feel comfortable on.

This forum is great .

I have a Nolting and Love it!!;)

Before I got my machine I test drove and research all the Longarms and I decided on the Nolting. The cust service is excellent.

There is a Nolting group on Yahoo that you can join and ask questions.

I have had not one problem with my machine and it is a workhorse.

Buying a LA is just like buying a car..you have to get what you want and what you feel comfortable on.

This forum is great .

APQS machines are made in the USA and that is a postivie for me. The stitches are just beautiful. My table never vibrates and is heavy as lead. No shaking, no vibrrations whatever. This forum is also a wonderul resource. Although there are ladies/gents here who own all sorts of different brands of machine, this is the place to get a problem solved on a weekend if the company is closed. One of my customer says she loves the stitches as they look like they were done on a domcestic machine they are so pretty. Lenni is easy to use and her parts are the same as goes in the Freedom SR and the Mille. I just never have problems with her (had her 2 years) and if something happens - like broken thread, I trace it back to something I did rather than a machine problem. If there is anyway you can actually put your hands on both machines do so because you will be the mom and you must be happy with the outcome. I love my Lenni and the APQO company!

APQS machines are made in the USA and that is a postivie for me. The stitches are just beautiful. My table never vibrates and is heavy as lead. No shaking, no vibrrations whatever. This forum is also a wonderul resource. Although there are ladies/gents here who own all sorts of different brands of machine, this is the place to get a problem solved on a weekend if the company is closed. One of my customer says she loves the stitches as they look like they were done on a domcestic machine they are so pretty. Lenni is easy to use and her parts are the same as goes in the Freedom SR and the Mille. I just never have problems with her (had her 2 years) and if something happens - like broken thread, I trace it back to something I did rather than a machine problem. If there is anyway you can actually put your hands on both machines do so because you will be the mom and you must be happy with the outcome. I love my Lenni and the APQO company!

I own a Millie so can't comment on the Lenni vs. Nolting. I do want to say that the customer service and support from APQS is unsurpassed. I had a minor problem with the laser light this morning. It was stored in a drawer and when I got it out it was in pieces. Not broken, but the screw came out of the mounting mechanism and I couldn't figure out how to put it back together. I posted on the forum requesting help and within 30 minutes I had a phone call from Christy in the service department at APQS. She walked me through reassembly and I'm back in business. That's superb service in my book!

I don't know what kind of training is available with Nolting but with APQS you receive a beginner class, either through your rep or at the Des Moines training center. I chose to go to Des Moines and was fortunate to have Dawn Cavanaugh as my instructor. She is an award winning quilter and you can read more info about her on the APQS web site. Additionally, there is a two day maintenance class available, which I will be attending next month, where we will learn everything there is to know about the machine. From what I understand we will actually take one apart and rebuild it. This will give me the knowledge I need to properly care for, maintain, troubleshoot,and do some repair of the machine, if necessary. I love my Millie and for me, APQS is #1.

I own a Millie so can't comment on the Lenni vs. Nolting. I do want to say that the customer service and support from APQS is unsurpassed. I had a minor problem with the laser light this morning. It was stored in a drawer and when I got it out it was in pieces. Not broken, but the screw came out of the mounting mechanism and I couldn't figure out how to put it back together. I posted on the forum requesting help and within 30 minutes I had a phone call from Christy in the service department at APQS. She walked me through reassembly and I'm back in business. That's superb service in my book!

I don't know what kind of training is available with Nolting but with APQS you receive a beginner class, either through your rep or at the Des Moines training center. I chose to go to Des Moines and was fortunate to have Dawn Cavanaugh as my instructor. She is an award winning quilter and you can read more info about her on the APQS web site. Additionally, there is a two day maintenance class available, which I will be attending next month, where we will learn everything there is to know about the machine. From what I understand we will actually take one apart and rebuild it. This will give me the knowledge I need to properly care for, maintain, troubleshoot,and do some repair of the machine, if necessary. I love my Millie and for me, APQS is #1.

I am a very happy Lenni owner also. I have had my Lenni for almost a year now. (He arrived on June 27, 2009). Some of the main reasons for my decision were a quality machine, made in the USA, great customer service, convenient location for both the factory and the Des Moines training center, an award winning instructor to give beginner and advanced beginner classes, and I could go on and on. I have not had one issue with my Lenni and I have used him non-stop since he arrived, either quilting quilts or practicing, practicing, practicing. He is so easy to use and does such beautiful stitches and I couldn't be happier. I took both classes with Dawn last summer and can't say enough about how much I learned from her in those two days. :) Then I took the Maintenance Class with Amy in March and learned so much from her while having a great time. APQS is #1 in my book. :D:D:D Then you add in this fabulous forum that they provide for us and what more is there to say? ;)

I am a very happy Lenni owner also. I have had my Lenni for almost a year now. (He arrived on June 27, 2009). Some of the main reasons for my decision were a quality machine, made in the USA, great customer service, convenient location for both the factory and the Des Moines training center, an award winning instructor to give beginner and advanced beginner classes, and I could go on and on. I have not had one issue with my Lenni and I have used him non-stop since he arrived, either quilting quilts or practicing, practicing, practicing. He is so easy to use and does such beautiful stitches and I couldn't be happier. I took both classes with Dawn last summer and can't say enough about how much I learned from her in those two days. :) Then I took the Maintenance Class with Amy in March and learned so much from her while having a great time. APQS is #1 in my book. :D:D:D Then you add in this fabulous forum that they provide for us and what more is there to say? ;)

I owned a Fun Quilter and sold it at a big loss to buy my APQS Millennium. I have nothing but good things to say about APQS and my machine, but would be hard pressed to find anything good to say about my Fun Quilter or Nolting.

This is just my experience, but if you read the Nolting Forums on Yahoo, most of the conversation revolves around solving problems while this forum is full of inspiring work and praise for APQS, the company, their personnel and their machinery.

Just my two cents!

I owned a Fun Quilter and sold it at a big loss to buy my APQS Millennium. I have nothing but good things to say about APQS and my machine, but would be hard pressed to find anything good to say about my Fun Quilter or Nolting.

This is just my experience, but if you read the Nolting Forums on Yahoo, most of the conversation revolves around solving problems while this forum is full of inspiring work and praise for APQS, the company, their personnel and their machinery.

Just my two cents!

I have a Millenium so I can't comment on the difference of the two machines, but I would pick the machine that is made the best. For instance, I was talking to someone who knows machines and we were comparing the Lenni and the Avante by HQ. Apparantly there's no comparison, the Lenni was by far the better machine even though they're similarly priced. You'll probably find that the Lenni is very well constructed, in America, too.

I would take Myrna's offer and go to her studio. You can spend time there and really get your quesitons answered.

I have a Millenium so I can't comment on the difference of the two machines, but I would pick the machine that is made the best. For instance, I was talking to someone who knows machines and we were comparing the Lenni and the Avante by HQ. Apparantly there's no comparison, the Lenni was by far the better machine even though they're similarly priced. You'll probably find that the Lenni is very well constructed, in America, too.

I would take Myrna's offer and go to her studio. You can spend time there and really get your quesitons answered.

I appreciate the input! I've got a bit of time yet - we have to get our floors redone first (subflooring replaced, Pergo installed in my sewing room, new carpet in the hall) before there is available cash for the longarm

Kim

I appreciate the input! I've got a bit of time yet - we have to get our floors redone first (subflooring replaced, Pergo installed in my sewing room, new carpet in the hall) before there is available cash for the longarm

Kim

The comment about buying a longarm is like choosing a car is so true. My husband loves his BMW. I refuse to drive it and I will stick with my Honda, thank you very much! Same with longarms: what one person likes about one brand, another person may not. It's truly an individual decision.

Archived