Brochures anyone?

cjtinkle

My husband and I have brochures for our business...and I believe that pictures are worth a thousand words!

I would include some close-up pics of some quilts...and less words. Especially the 'Created by CJ' address info which is listed twice. Once is enough. I would list the website once...with its categories to view...and show some quilting. I say this because it has worked for us. You need something eye catching and since most of the info you listed on your brochure is basic to most longarmers...you need something to stand you apart from the crowd!

CJ...I sent you an email with our dredge brochure in it. Maybe it will inspire you with additional ideas. ;)

• 1 month later...

I do not have a brochure, and instead built a website right away when I started my business last year. I started doing web pages and setting up websites when the web began, and just don't think I want a static paper object such as a brochure. On the website I can offer the potential customers a combination of images, UTube videos, and Smilebox (flash) presentations as I develop them, and change the prices easier also. Recently, I added another skill that was requested: to repair quilts. Because the business cards have my website, and the website is listed in several places online, I have gotten business this way more often than any other way. I may never develop a brochure, but I considered it in the beginning. If I didn't have my website, I'd use a brochure with lots of pictures, and host a lot of open studio days so the clients could come see my quilts.

Happy Quilting and Best of Luck!

Karen Wheeler (www.feathersandloops.com)

Thanks Karen, I have a website as well. The brochures are for local business, it's hard to get local people to go visit your website!

My website has been around for awhile, and I have turned several quilts down from requests via my website, they're usually custom orders which I'm not ready for... nor do I like doing them much. I adore panto's, and would be quite happy if 90% of my business will be edge to edge.

But yes I agree, I think a web site is essential. It wouldn't have helped me this morning though! My new cutting table was delivered by the local furniture store (isn't it gorgeous!) and not only did my setup fascinate the guys, they took my brochure because they said I could have all the leftover fabric from the store (upholstery, which will be awesome for crafts!) but they were looking for someone to quilt fabric prior to it being reupholstered. I would be happy to oblige them!

Internet photo of my new cutting table (kitchen island, wine racks are removable)

705013547_640.jpg

I really like your brochure - nice job!

I use brochures. I leave a stack of them (20 or so) at every local quilt show and quilt shop in my area. People are very interested in price, so it's good to put that out there up front.

You got some very good feedback, and I want to emphasize the importance of pictures. People don't want to read a lot - you need white space to let their eyes rest.

Also, lots of your potential customers need reading glasses. Put your font size up a bit and just focus on the most important info. Put the rest on your website.

Good luck!

Julia

• 1 month later...

CJ, I've had brochures since I started. I print them myself as it saves having alot of them if I change something. I have a basic list of prices and services. I also list the battings I always have but add that I may have others avail. I use them for quilt shows, give a couple to my customers along with a few business cards when they pick up a quilt so they can pass info to their friends, and carry a few in my glove compartment cause you never know who you will meet. My first one had way too much info on it so they have been simplified over the years.

Now as a new APQS sales and service person I need to update mine.

WTG Jeri, congrats on your promotion.. you'll do good.

I do have business cards, and have considered brochures, but give up on the home page, I know what I want, but also want to portray just one small part showing several colors and pieces of he quilt top, with the quilting, and use it large enough to show both clearly. Just can't decide on how to make it look the way I want, like pastel in the background, more real colors in one corner, showing the small part & the stitching as an overlay, and my contact info on the rest of the card.. then I can also print more on the back.. maybe meander, meanders with stars, hearts, OR leaves.. SID, panto, pattern boards, and custom.. more info rather than a price list.

Good Luck.. CJ the brocure was great, jut the two spelling errors, colors are nice.. just pretty.

RitaR

Archived