problems with tension

barbann03

This is a question I keep wondering about, and I can't find an answer to it here, and I keep forgetting to ask my mom. How do you adjust your tension before you start your actual quilt? I am working on a "practice" piece and I spent more time taking out the stitches in the first row because I couldn't get the tension right. I am still not sure it's right, but the thread started breaking on the top so then I had to back off. I also noticed that I have a hard time actually seeing what the thread looks like on the bottom. With the light shining through from the top, I still see so much of the top thread. Do you get underneath with a flashlight? lol, I am ready to do just that! Can anybody help me with this one!? I really appreciate all the advice you can find here!

As funny as it may seem - I lay on the floor with a flashlight every time I load a quilt and start quilting. I also go back to floor from time to time just to check to make sure all is well. I have had problems with tension in the past, but not any more. I have a Towa bobbin tension tester do-hicky. There is the bobbin drop test, where you hold the thread in one hand and drop the bobbin down, give the slightest tug and the bobbin should drop a little. I can't do this test - the bobbin flies out across the room and I get frustrated. As far as the top tension goes, I use the sides of the quilt - not the top - in the 4" on either side, and just test my tension turning my tension knob back and forth until I get the desired stitch. I'm sure someone out there has a better way, this just works for me.

Good luck I know it can make you crazy.

Mary Beth

I crawl under with a flashlight to look. I still can't get tension issues fixed. I have to tighten the bobbin all the way tight and it still looks like it's just laying there. The top is either too tight or too loose. I have been just making do, when it looks acceptable, but I know it's not correct. When I try loosening the bobbin I get loops of bobbin on the top. When I loosen the top I get loops on the back. About the only thread combination I think I have figured out is King Tut on top and prewound on the bottom.

When I'm going to look at the bottom side of the quilt, I lay a book or a piece of folded fabric on the top to block the light from shining through the top. Then I can see the bottom better. After a while, you will be able to feel under the bottom and see if the thread feels right. If it's a bit rough, you're getting loops or knots on the back. If the thread feels tight or stretched, then the thread is just laying on the back and not sinking in. If you really don't feel the thread at all . . just smooth fabric . . you're getting a good stitch. That's the way us old women have to check it. :)

Ladies, ladies- GET OFF THE FLOOR!!! Get an inexpensive door mirror from Walmart. Lay it on the lexan table with the machine moved out of the way and shine your flashlight on the underside of the quilt while looking in the mirror. You will be able to see what is going on without a trip to the floor. Take the mirror out of the way after viewing your stitching, as the machine will not roll over it.

I always do a little tension test in the excess batting/backing on the side of the quilt. I put a square of muslin on top to simulate the quilt top. I try to stitch a curve, loops, straight lines, and points to check tension.

My last tip for tension is the TOWA bobbin case gauge. I waited a long time to buy this little gem. Now I don't know what I did without it. I check every bobbin, and I know my bobbin tension is consistent every time when using the gauge. Then I adjust the top tension if necessary until it's just right.

Cathy in NC

Quilting Cowgirl

Millennium

You gals are too funny. I thought I was the only that got on floor with a flashlight to look at the underside of the quilt!!

I like the mirror idea. Definitely saves a trip to the floor. Everytime I get on the floor to check tension on the back side of the quilt, the dog thinks its time to play and runs for her toys for a game of tug-of-war. Unfortunately, I don't always have the will power to resist her.

Debbi

Here's her picture....

post--13461897875531_thumb.jpg

Debbi, your dog is adorable. Thanks ladies for your advice. I was just kidding about the flashlight, but I guess I was on to something! I haven't gone back to the quilt yet. I spent most of the afternoon on it yesterday, even having to go out and buy more batting, because mine wasn't wide enough. I will remember the tip on adding muslin to the edge. My DH said he had suggested that to me already. I told him that I didn't consider him an expert on everything, but "sometimes he's right"! Happy sewing!:cool: Hope everyone is staying cool. They are saying 96 or more here today!

Barb:)

A large hand mirror works well for seeing the back of the quilt, and if you shine the flashlight on the mirror, you can see the stitches pretty well. I use a piece of muslin on the extra batting and backing to one side so I can flip it over and see the stitches. First I do straight lines, then curves and then some all over pattern to see if the thread is going to break on a long run. The towa tension gauge is how I check my bobbin tension. Its a game of tug of war between the two threads, so you will see more of the one winning. If I start getting breakage, I loosen the top tension, and loosen the bobbin if I see loops on the back.

First post from a sorta new Millie owner. You folks have been ever so helpful...your enthusiasm and beautiful work is awesome and inspiring!

Question...when the bobbin thread is laying almost flat, it's too loose or too tight? The bobbin drop test indicates it's right, but no top adjustment seems to affect or improve it.

Sounds like the TOWA gauge is the way to go. Good idea about the mirror too.

Hey Cathy Kirk! We met a few weekends ago at the Carolina Machine Quilters guild meeting in Apex.

Anita

Hi,

When the thread is flat on the bottom you either have to tighten the top or loosen the bottom. I too use the TOWA guage and love it. I also ordered mine from kmquiltingsupply.com. After a while, you will be able to feel if the top is right by pulling on the thread. I have also had flat thread on the back if there is lint caught in the bobbin case.

My last bout with tension was due to an old check spring. It had lost its springiness. I had never replaced it, and afterwards, I once again had perfect tension.

Kay

I have a Millenium and struggled with tension for months and months. I have a TOWA and love it. THEN...I figured out that the bobbin winder on the machine was going bad because my bobbins were winding with big loops...what a mess! I bought the stand alone winder and now my tension is perfect. Every bobbin seems to wind consistently (although I check every bobbin with the TOWA, I rarely have to adjust the bobbin case tension). So I concluded that the bobbin winder on the machine was a big part of my problem. I'm a happy girl now!

Lisa Potter

Buzzy Bee Quilting

Oh Debbi!

That is the cutest puppy ever!

I would never get any thing done with a sweetie:P pie waiting for love!

Originally posted by dtreusch

You gals are too funny. I thought I was the only that got on floor with a flashlight to look at the underside of the quilt!!

I like the mirror idea. Definitely saves a trip to the floor. Everytime I get on the floor to check tension on the back side of the quilt, the dog thinks its time to play and runs for her toys for a game of tug-of-war. Unfortunately, I don't always have the will power to resist her.

Debbi

Here's her picture....

Debbie, Can I borrower your dog for a bit? just to love on:D

Thanks for the information on the TOWA. so many things to learn about and to purchase. I know my credit card company is going to love me more than they already do:P

Hi,

I finished the quilt today! I am very excited, I thought overall it came out quite good, considering it's only my second quilt. My MIL let me do it for practice. My tension came out pretty good on the back. Trying to attach pics, not sure if they will come through, as I have not done one yet! I used the Drifting Leaves pattern that I purchased from the beginner pack at Darlene Epp's website. Thanks Darlene for all the great patterns, I am having a blast.

I have one of those Towa tension gauge for sale, still in the bag, slightly used. I thought it would be something I would use but found out different. Is good for beginniners. Asking below new price, you pay shipping(which shouldn't be very much as it is light weight).

Just email me at quilts@centurytel.net for details.

Archived