cross hatch logistics

So, I've got a big quilt to do. The customer wants cross hatch on the outer border. I've got the cross hatch design boards from R&S.;)

To get started, I think I have to carefully line up the boards so my points will stop on the border seam line. Will I be ok to quilt from the back or should I be safer and walk around to the front? That would require a lot of walking back and forth I think to lift the stylus to move along the outer edges.

Second question....after I turn the quilt to do the last 2 borders, how do I line up to the previous cross hatching? I'm thinking I need to line up to one corner as perfectly as I can, and stop early at the other corner to finesse with a ruler.

Thanks for any help. I'm sure those of you who have done this a million times have a method down pat:P

Annie,

I wish I could help you but I don't have the cross hatch boards, I use Linda's rulers. I just line them up in one upper corner to start and keep them lined up down the sides and then hope they match up well at the center of the bottom again. Maybe someone else has a better way of doing this, if so I would like to hear too! I am doing one very big applique quilt that I have been crosshatching the entire background with feathers around the outer border. I am getting tired of x-hatching at the moment and am looking forward to a different quilt soon!

Hi Vicki-

I know exactly what you mean. I just finished a big custom quilt last week and was so happy to do a couple of small easy ones after that.

I've done a little cross hatching with my itty bitty ruler. I tried Linda's ruler but couldn't see the lines through the ruler well enough to use it as designed. I ended up using it to mark the lines, then using the itty bitty to stitch. I get into trouble when I stitch with bigger rulers....they tend to bounce up and wedge between the hopper foot and the needle bar. Not good. Requires realignment, screw drivers, cursing.:D

Anyway....maybe someone has some ideas for is?!

Annie, when I cross hatch a border I use my small ruler and mark my points with either my small pins or my chalk. Then I zig zag right across the whole length of the quilt. I then come back and redo so that I have my cross hatch. Does that make sense?

Lib

Annie, one thing you can do if you are worried about the corners not coming out right is to quilt a different design in each of the four corners and make it like a "corner block" and then have your crosshatching only go as far as the line of the "block". Then you don't have to go into the corner so it's easier to line up. You can use a stencil or whatever for your corner design. Is this as clear as mud or do you get what I'm saying. I've done it and it works out great but it's hard to describe it. :o

You can also fudge in the corner, Measure the spacing and if you need to add or subtract a little do it from the center out until you get the end corners you like on both ends, this way you won't see the transition as its usually quite small per row.

Besides everyone likes fudge!---LOL Dave B.

Originally posted by CrazyAboutQuilting

Annie, one thing you can do if you are worried about the corners not coming out right is to quilt a different design in each of the four corners and make it like a "corner block" and then have your crosshatching only go as far as the line of the "block". Then you don't have to go into the corner so it's easier to line up. You can use a stencil or whatever for your corner design. Is this as clear as mud or do you get what I'm saying. I've done it and it works out great but it's hard to describe it. :o

Great idea! I might just do that.

Originally posted by Dave-Jane

You can also fudge in the corner, Measure the spacing and if you need to add or subtract a little do it from the center out until you get the end corners you like on both ends, this way you won't see the transition as its usually quite small per row.

Besides everyone likes fudge!---LOL Dave B.

Yum. Another great idea. Thanks

Archived