Plastic Wrap

I'm having a difficult quilting because I can not see what the results of what I'm quilting. I'm sure this has to do with inexperience on my part. I want to use a neutral thread because I don't want the color to show through on the quilt bottom. Has anyone tried quilting using plastic wrap or light weight paper on top of the quilt? I haven't yet tried this (I'm at work and just had this brainstorm). I thought that using this would make the completed stitches more revealing.

Pauline L Lally

I think the plastic wrap would reflect the light and all you'd see is the underside of the head. Plus to get it all out is a PITA!! With paper you can't see where you are going. Try turning off any overhead lights and just use a side light. That has worked for me! I often quilt in the dark!! :P:P

Or try the black light if your machine has one.

Heidi gives great advice.

I bought an under-counter-mount fluorescent light at Home Depot (about $20) and just lay it across the rollers. Turn off the machine light and the overheads and you will be so happy to see your stitches. I move it along as I stitch.:)

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I have a Lenni; how would I lay a light across the rollers?

How would I switch the light off on the machine?

Regarding the lights on stands would this be like industrial type lighting?

Your inputs are greatly appreciated!

Pauline L Lally

Hi Pauline--the light I bought at HDepot is in a plastic case, all self-contained, with a long cord that plugs into an outlet. It is 32" long and lays across the leveler roller (the bare one) and the top front roller. It's great for side-lighting. I'll see if I have a photo to post.

the light idea is a great one, but if you decide its not for your and you would rather use paper...that's okay as well, the only thing is that the tiny pieces are sometimes harder to get out.

Golden Threads has a very light weight paper that you can draw your design on with and then use a tempuary basting spray and lightly spray the paper (after you draw your design) then lay it in the correct place and stitch out....gently tear off the big pieces and then pick out the rest. If you use a small Stitch Regulator setting the paper will tear off better.

Pauline,

The lights I have on stands are designed for shop lights but they work great and you can move the light wherever you want it. I have a black knob on the right side of my machine head (tension disk side) that turns my light on and off. I'm not sure if yours would be in the same place but email Amy and I'm sure she'll tell you where the light switch is.

Archived