Update w/pictures I am Furious, (caution venting ahead)UPDATE, UPDATE

SEE PAGE 5 FOR FINAL UPDATE W/PICS

I am still in shock and shaking I am sooo mad!!!

Disclaimer: this is ranting pure and simple and I make no apologies!

As many of you know I do not quilt for others, I have a 100 or so quilts stacked up because I don't sell them and I do not take any money for teaching a class.

I entered 9 quilts and a jacket in our county fair this week. This the second time I have entered the last time was two years ago. Well, my DH and GS and I go to the fair today and I am very excited to see how my quilts did. I thought most of them were really great, (if I do say so myself).

I can see one of the better ones from afar as I enter the room and see there is not ribbon on it and was a little surprized at that. As I get closer I see a large paper on it that says "Display only, Professional". What? I look at the rest of my stuff and the same is on all of them. Essentially labeling them as from a cheater. I go to the local guild booth and ask how this could happen and am referred to the office. I go there and am referred back to the pavillion to find the superintendent of the quilting class. She tells me that they had been informed that I was a professional. By whom? Well she wouldn't tell me that. I asked shouldn't I have been called and questioned about this? She, at first, thought I PROBABLY should have but it obviously had not happened. I finally asked if this report had come from a individual that I know and it was confirmed. This person has pretty much OWNED the fair for years and was pretty upset when I won some big ribbons two years ago. Since then, this self proclaimed "Quilt Policeperson" has been nit picking everything I've done up to and including a program I was responsible for at our guild show. Until a few months ago I attended a small sewing circle in which she is a member too.

If I had seen her today I would now be in the slammer for assault. I am awaiting a call from the Superintendent tonight about this. She has acknowledged that I should have been called. She said she was going to investigate and she knew where my quilts had placed in the show but she had to check with her director and the liar. They were judged on Monday and then my ribbons were removed yesterday. How embarassing to have my quilts hanging for the whole county to see with papers calling me a fraud. I am livid and mortified and I am sorry to ramble but appreicate your listening to my vent.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lynda,

Your vent is completely justified! They should never select some to keep separated out as not worthy of judging. They can always have a class for professional quilting as well as one for quilts that are pieced and quilted by the same person. We finally got that separation at our fair. I complained a couple years ago when most of my things had the comment on the entry tag "Too much competition!" What a crock, the reason we enter the work is to see how they are judged and for the pleasure of sharing with other.

That know-it-all should be banned from entering or judging or any participation for a couple of years.

Oh Lynda, I am so sorry to hear what happened! I probably would have cried on the spot from frustration and disappointment. I'm anxious to hear what the "superintendent" has to say. Do I understand you correctly, that your quilts received ribbons, but then they were taken down on the word of another quilter? Nope, sounds very dishonourable indeed. I'll be watching for your updates to see how this all turns out. (((Hugs))) in the meantime. (I can't believe they would actually take the ribbons off and never even called you??? That's nuts!):mad::(

I didn't realize that you could not enter a quilt even if you do it for a business. It doesn't say anything about that in the "rules" that I can find. Would like to hear why not. You still pieced the quilt and quilted the quilt. Anyone out there know more about this? I am going to be entering one also and would like to know ahead of time, so I don't waste my time. Sorry to hear of your troubles too. hmmmm

Hi all, Thank you for your comments.

Here are a couple of answers I can provide:

There is a professional class but I didn't enter any in that because I am not.

The professional class is to prevent someone from having an OK top quilted professionally to become a stunner and in essence buying an award.

Yes Linda my quilts won awards and were stripped.

I still await a call but am becoming aware that the hour is getting late (8:40 PDT) so not sure what that means.

Well you made me go back and read all the rules on ours and there is not one thing that says anything about not being able to enter even if you have a business. It does have a class that is for the quilts that are done all by one person and the ones that are done by two people with one of them being a paid professional quilter. Not a word on the other so I will be interested to see how this goes. Good luck with yours! I think you should be able to enter even if you do it for a business! Thats how I feel, and I am stickin to it!:)

Maybe it is because we don't have a professional class:o

I am so mad--I am choosing my words carefully.......

Dear Lynda, please vent your frustration where it will do the most good--the superintendent of the show.

And INSIST that your awards be re-instated.

And perhaps a nice disclaimer stating that a mistake was made can be posted on the quilts as well.

Do not back down.

Do not let the show off the hook.

Stay calm, logical, and direct--but be FIRM and INSISTENT that they do the right thing. Not just for you but also for the integrity of the show.

Ignore the jealous, spiteful, envious, nasty b-word who caused all this.

Exclude her from your activities, provide simple information when your buds ask--but then express your "disappointment" that this person seems to have a jealousy problem.

Smile sweetly when you say it.

Everyone knows what's up.

Love you--see you soon!

Linda gives great advice. I would be devastated and furious mad too. I believe I have to enter my quilts in our county fair under the Advanced category...but certainly not Professional for the same reasons as you. I would agree that I would INSIST on having the awards reinstated and let the fair board deal with the woman who caused all the trouble. SHAME ON HER for messing with our Lynda. You are much loved here. :)

I am so sorry Lynda - the audacity of the whole situation!!! I would be in total tears and not sure what to do. I think Linda is right - go after what is due and stand firm!!! You were honest in entering your quilts properly - she (whomever) was totally dishonest and should be banned from future competition.......... Good luck - warm hugs - and keep your chin up!!

Originally posted by newellyn

........ How embarassing to have my quilts hanging for the whole county to see with papers calling me a fraud. I am livid and mortified .....

Oh My God! :o

This is horrible. Really. It's one thing to remove the ribbons. It's completely a whole different thing to hang those papers on there. I would be humiliated.

You have my permission to pinch someone's head off. You pinch away girl...!!! :mad::mad::mad:

The quilting police need to arrest this woman. OK I am supposed to be a good girl here so I refrain from any futher comment.

OK I just read Linda Rech's advice and I agree---you need to DEMAND that your ribbons be reinstated. Any $$ lost for this stupid prior gesture comes out of their pocket. You do not suffer the consequences of an idiot.

Nuff said.

But still pinch her head off. She deserves that regardless.

Oh brother!!

Guest Linda S

Oh Lynda! That just sucks. I hate it when a bad quilter surfaces. Kind of like a bad apple spoiling the whole bunch. I hope they fix this for you.

Lynda - I remember us talking about this woman while you were here and I remember you saying that you told her that you don't do quilts for others & that you don't sell your quilts. So she can't say she didn't know. She definitely has a jealousy problem. I also agree with Linda R that you need to go to the person in charge of the quilts at the show and demand your ribbons, and that an apology be written and attached to the quilts saying that you indeed won the ribbons in the category that they were entered in.

I'm so sorry that you had to go through this but if memory serves me right, you were afraid that something like this might happen. Hang in there my friend. You are an amazing quilter who gives of herself all the time, & this small minded woman can't steel that from you.:)

Oh, Lynda, I'm so very sorry you had to suffer the loss of ribbons, but mostly publicly being defamed and humiliated as you've been. I think it would be a good try to tell them you are seeking legal advice, then if you do not get all you deserved, find a lawyer. I'm not one that is sue happy, usually try to avoid it, but this Not a lady and lower than a woman, actually has defamed you, and the fair personell aided her by not checking with you, or the state board of licensing.

BIG hugs and prayers for a correct settlement with the jerks..

My heart really aches for you!!

Ritar

You guys are the BEST!!! I have been fuming, teary and everything in between tonight. It is almost midnight and I'm guessing no call will be coming tonight, sooo I will be making some calls in the AM.

Linda I did vent to the superintendent, most definately, but I did fail to DEMAND my due. If only you could be a little bug in my ear to help me think of all I want to say at such a moment. Your council is always so wise, and eloquent. I will state my demands tomorrow for sure. I am afraid they will not enjoy becoming my hobby. You know "hell hath no furry.........."

Thank you all, I love ya all and can't wait for my Moxie meeting in 17 days to see some of you and get big HUGS!!!

I was thinking along the same lines as Linzi. If the show won't make a public statement to clear your name I would be looking to the local press to do it. The show can not just take the word of one person against another they need to investigate properly. If they had been really concerned they could have hung no ribbons while they checked. Also I assume some other quilts have now won ribbons because your were taken back, so this terrible decision is going to hit those quilters too. What a mess.

I hope the show resolve this quickly and fairly, although that is going to be very difficult now they have made so many problems for themselves.

I think I would also approach the people who look after the whole show, and explain the situation to them as well.

Ferret

Lynda I sit here with my mouth hanging open and then a few choice words come to mind. I don't understand how a show could take somebody else's (a major competitor's) word and not look into it any further. Besides all that even if you did quilt professionally since this was pieced and quilted by you I don't consider that professionally quilted. In my mind that means that you had somebody else do the quilting. That is one of my pet peeves really. I agree whole heartedly with our dear Linda R. she always has such a great way of looking from things logically and level headed. They need to give you your ribbons back. Maybe you should give us her contact info and we can call in and lodge our complaints :P:P:P:P! I'm sure we could keep her hopping.:P

I'm so sorry you are having go through this ! Stick to your guns, girl! Call them this morning and make your demands known out loud. YOU peiced them, YOU quilted them, therefore YOU get to compete. Professsional doesn't even enter into the equation

since you nevers accept money for anything you do. Skilled does not mean Professional. Hobby does not mean Business. Even someone who quilts as a business is allowed to peice and quilt and compete for themselves. These people have violated their own rules. Go get 'em!

I agree with everything that has been said above!! What I am about to type is not meant to justify what has happened to you, only to try to find something good in a horrible situation.

In trying to find a bright/positive light on the situation I can only say that you may feel that you are being labeled a fraud but to a beginner quilter seeing your quilts labeled as "professional" could be wonderful examples of what a beginner might want to strive for. Beware...you may be getting plenty of calls requesting you to quilt their quilts as you are now the "top dog". At least your wonderful quilts are on display for many to see.

These shows can be quite political. Doesn't matter if it is fine arts or livestock. I have run into it in both classes. 4-H also. When I go a county fair or even the state fair to look at the quilts or any other fine arts I take the ribbons with a grain of salt. I often disagree with the judge but I love to look at the phenomenal works of others and get some super ideas for myself. I just enjoy the beauty of the quilts and paintings for what they are, not for what someone else thinks of them!! "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" I don't think I could ever be a judge!

A friend of mine entered a quilt which she pieced, embroidered and quilted herself into one county fair and took grand champion and then got a red in another county. hhmmmm grand to red? Different judge/different day.

I strongly feel that all items judged should not have a name on them when being judged. The names should only be put on after the show. Each item should be given a number prior to judging and then the name put on the comment sheet and item only after the judging is done. I know many shows bring in judges from outside the county etc but often times we know people from great distances away who have a common interest.

I don't know if your local TV stations have an interest in solving local policy, personal interest problems, and stuff like what happened to you. Ours would probably jump on this story-especially one that has no big advertisers and political entities involved. Gives them a human interest story where stepping on toes won't effect the outcome of the article. Then they can go into it rather well!

Keep calm and level headed through this as you can cause cooler heads prevail! I wish you the best!!! Take Care----Dave B.

wow - i am just stunned. this is crazy. what kind of a person does something like this? a nasty quilter, that's who. mean people suck. i'm so sorry for all that you are going through.

and i hope you get it all straightened out and the show does right by you with a public apology.

and i really hope nasty quilter winds up looking like the jealous fool that she is. and i hope you get the satisfaction of witnessing her embarrassment....cause she will be embarrassed when it all comes out.

Archived