First quilt done!!! with pix

After quite a bit of practice and a lot of frustration, I finally put together a simple quilt top and tackled it with a pantograph. I *wanted* to mount it at a 45 degree angle and run the panto across it, but after struggling to get it on the machine nice and flat, I decided discretion is the better part of valor, and just put it on straight. I had a LOT of trouble with thread breaking and tension, but thanks to help from Dawn and others, finally got most of those issues worked out.

When I was doing it, I felt like it looked terrible as I couldn't follow the lines very well - but once it was finished and off the machine, it doesn't look too bad. I'm pleased that I got it on straight and flat and square, and it came off that way as well. I still need much practice making round things round. For some reason I seem to be able to do okay freehand from the front of the machine, but not so okay from the back, following lines.

So, I've taken a SMALL step forward. Hooray! Now I'm eager to tackle then next two I have waiting. I'll do pantos on both of them, and then I have a QOV that I would like to try some ruler work on - but, ONE STEP AT A TIME.

It is a very simple quilt, but more fun than just plain muslin. After seeing the pictures of the fabulous quilts you all do, I feel kind of silly posting such a simple project - but I'm still happy to get it done! Now I just have to work on learning to quilt like Heidi - hmm, maybe in 15 or 20 years:-) :-)

2354107050106579117WeILuW_th.jpg

2372562180106579117UDEkWO_th.jpg

2372562180106579117UDEkWO_th.jpg

2613506940106579117iohCcg_th.jpg

2030442180106579117aaUyDt_th.jpg

Congratulations Bonnie, Doesn't it feel good to look at that quilt and no that you are taming the beast and winning!! You go Girl!! Now if you can figure out how to show off your work we would love to see pictures. :cool:

OOOoops Spoke to soon there are the pictures!! Way to go Bonnie!!

I chose Fantasia because I thought it was pretty. Didn't have a clue that it was as hard as it is. Don't look too closely at the plumes and spirals - quite a few of them are a little square. It was a humbling experience after having done a very simple one that came with my machine. After that, I figured, what the heck, this is pretty easy. Let's find one that is more attractive. Sigh. So little time, so much to learn. But a GREAT place to learn it.

I can't tell you all how much I appreciate your interest and assistance. I'm now finally getting to the place where I feel like a class or two would be helpful. Having done MANY things wrong, I'd have a good list of questions:-)

Bonnie,

What a great job! Methinks you are way too hard on yourself! Contrary to popular assumption, pantographs are not the easiest thing to master right off the bat. All one has to do is stand at an APQS trade show booth for a bit and watch people try the pantograph side of the machine...they quickly see that some practice is in order:) Your quilt looks terrific.

Just remember that your quilting machine is like a gigantic "Etch-a-Sketch" toy...that red box with two knobs. One knob made a line appear vertically and the other made a line appear horizontally. It took quite a bit of practice before your hands learned how to work simultaneously together to create smooth curves or diagonal lines that didn't look like stair steps:). Once your two hands communicate to your brain that they have to work together to make the machine travel along those two directions, you'll be flying along Fantasia!

You know you can always call or email me with that list of questions, or even come out to Iowa and hang out in the tall corn for some classes! We can also see what is available near you, too.

You're doing fabulously!!!

Bonnie,

I think your quilt is lovely and your quilting is great! You give me inspiration to hang in there! Thank you for that. I'll be putting my first quilt on the frame sometime this week. Don't you just feel like you're standing on top of the mountain after taming the beast? You GO! :D

Oh Bonnie...you have now jumped in!! You have only had your toes in the water testing the temperature with the muslin practice pieces. Now you have jumped in the pool. The swimming is soooo much more fun now!! Really, that first "real" quilt is one of the hardest. I have only completed 7 ''real" quilts so far as I am also new at this. I try something harder, more challenging each time but none are as scary as that first one was. My first one was also a pantograph.

I was able to go the the Milwaukee Machine Quilter's show a few weeks ago and you are correct that after doing a quilt or two it would be a great time to find somewhere to take some classes. You now have some questions to ask and understand what the instructor and others are "talking about".

If you can get to Dawn's classes in DesMoines, IA she does a fantastic job!! I took the two day class from her back in June and worked with the machine for a couple of months and then was able to go to 3 days of classes at the quilt show and get ideas from several different instructors and fellow classmates. Haven't had an instructor yet that I didn't like. Wonderful people!! Now I want to find time to go back to APQS and take the maintenance class from Amy so I know my machine from the inside also. It becomes less intimidating every day!! If you can't get to DesMoines, email or call Dawn to find out who in your area gives the beginner/advanced beginner lessons. They are worth every penny.

Your quilting of the pantograph looks great. I think you are too hard on yourself. It really is amazing how much better the quilts look when we take them off the frame and lay them on a bed without the pantograph in sight. Someone once told me that the pantograph is just a "suggestion" of lines to follow...relax...and don't be so critical of yourself. They were right. I actually find my quilting of the pantograph gets better when my mind wanders a bit so I turn on some music to distract me a little.

Happy quilting!!

Bonnie, you did a fabulous job! Why are we so hard on ourselves anyway. And by posting your message and photos of some of your earliest efforts, you give encouragement to others who are struggling with the confidence to get that quilt on the frame and go for it. So not only did you show your work and express your feelings here, but you've help others who feel the same. That, my friend, is what quilting and this forum are all about. I'm looking forward to seeing more! :cool:

Archived