Report on Toldi-Lock thread

My JoAnn's stopped stocking Maxi-lock thread last year (which runs great on my Milli) so I picked up some Toldi-Lock during a half-price thread sale to try it out. It's a Guttermann product.

I needed a shocking pink for a bright quilt.

It works great. It's thinner than the Maxi-lock and is 2500 yds while I think the Maxi is 3000. It has a cotton-y look finish and just as much lint as the Maxi-lock. I think the regular price is 8 bucks so I got a big ol' cone of bright pink thread for 4 dollars. Don't hesitate to try it if you see some.

Guest Linda S

Just a word of warning -- I know some of you love Maxi-lock and if you choose to use it, that's fine. Just remember it is not a very strong thread. I worry that over the years, especially on a bed quilt, with all that pulling up and down, that thread won't last. Maybe it will -- but I'm not taking the chance. I do buy Maxi-Lock and use it in my serger (four cones at a time).

Linda

Fil-Tec has a cottony thread that reminds me of the Maxi Loc called Perma Soft (?). They are having a special deal right now. I bought 2 cones, but haven't tried them yet. It feels like a nice thread. So far, I haven't been disappointed in Fil-Tec products at all.

My friend always uses the Maxi Loc from JoAnn's. She gets along fine with it. She has an older model APQS machine. She has quited a bunch of quilts for herself, family and customers. I've only know her a few years so don't know if she has had any problems with it breaking after a time. I don't like all the lint myself. I am anxious to try the Perma Soft thread and see how linty it is or isn't.

I have cones of Maxi Lock, most of it still in wrappers, if I haven't already given it away.

I can't stitch 6" without it snapping. I was drawn to it by the availabiltity of the cones, the colors and of course the price when I first started using a bigger machine. Now I only use either Superior or Signature that I purchase at some of the bigger shows.

Dianne

I love maxi-lok and use it lots of the time. I also use metro which is a 2 ply. Intreresting what was said about its strength. A lady here swears that it has cut her fabric because it is too strong and doesn't give. Like with all things, you just have to make up your own mind. I use it mainly on charity quilts because I got about 25 cones for $15 at a thrift store. The judge at our quilt show in June said the jury is out on silk thread and lots of others that have come out because no one knows how long it will last or what its interaction with the fabric will be.

Originally posted by Linda S I worry that over the years, especially on a bed quilt, with all that pulling up and down, that thread won't last..

Linda

Linda....just a note to say...I personally have quilts that are over 16 years old...and used very much each year (and washed at least twice a year) and have not popped a stitch yet...in one the fabric is wearing out but the seams are holding very well....they are all quilted with Maxi-Lock. When I first started quilting in 1997 Serger thread was all I could find on a cone, and have quilted many customer quilts with it. So far no one has called to say I didn't use a thread that didn't withhold its end....

• 10 years later...

Archived