Sign in to follow this  
Lori Dinsmore

six-week Bran Muffins

This was one of my Mom's favorites...I made it for my DH's construction crew, they are roofing my house, and they loved them.

Six-week Bran Muffins

1 (15oz) Box of Raisin Bran

3 cups sugar

5 tsp. baking soda

5 cups flour

1 cup oil or melted shortening (I use veg oil)

1 qt. Buttermilk

4 eggs beaten

2 tsp salt (optional)

Mix bran, sugar, flour, soda and salt. Add eggs, shortening and buttermilk: mix well. Bake at 400 for 15 to 20 minutes. Batter can be kept for six weeks when stored in a air~tight container in fridge. Great to have on hand for unexpected company.

Hope you enjoy these!

OK my recipe is the same except the following:

substitute 1 cup melted butter for oil

add:

1 TBS pumpkin pie spice (sometimes I just use cinnamon)

1 cup pumpkin

I have reduced the butter to 1/2 cup and added 1/2 cup of applesauce or baby food prunes. The muffins are just a little denser this way but still very good.

you gals are the best... thanks for sharing and reminding us of the wonders of home baking. summer is fading and it's time to turn up the oven and bake our way out of a funky day. love the ideas. I've had the original recipie forever and love the idea of kicking it up a notch. happy fall everyone. Marion in BC

Well, I have to say that when I read the title "Six Week Bran Muffins" I immediately wondered what happens in six weeks? lol I thought maybe the bran did something medicinal in six weeks! :P:P:P:P

Barb Iliff

Freedom SR

Winding Ways Quilting

"When your life falls to pieces make a quilt!!"

I know this is a really old post..but I just have to ask...where does the "6 week" come from in the name?

I have some ideas, but it is once again my nurse humor that others may not find so funny. :o

C5020C995E687C0D98C28C32DBCD1A0F.png

Kelly Summers

Prairie Sage Quilts

prairiesagequilts.com

I probably missed it, but, how many does this bake in regular muffin pans. Sounds like it is very tasty. I'd replace any solid shortenings, lards or margarine and butter with liquids. Much more heart healthy, and does help the lungs and body too..

I prefer the lighter ones, so think I'd add a bit more pumpkin or other thick liquids.

And, would add more raisins and add nuts.

Originally posted by hmerrill

Kelly you can leave the batter in the frige for up to 6 weeks. I usually bake a doz. at a time.

Obviusly I did not read past the ingrediants.....my typical way of scimming receipes.

C5020C995E687C0D98C28C32DBCD1A0F.png

Kelly Summers

Prairie Sage Quilts

prairiesagequilts.com