busy border design help please!

RoseCity Quilter

When I was at Innovations last week I took a couple of great classes on borders, but still feel at a loss as to what to do on a busy border (ie. multicolor floral). My customers really seem to gravitate to busy borders and I feel the things I tend to do are lost on prints like that. I do do piano keys a lot and that is good on a busy border, but want to have some other ideas in my repitoire (sp?). thanks in adbance.

It took me a while to figure this out, but if the busy border will not show your pretty stitching, don't spend your time and their money stitching a cable or fabulous running feathers. Do something simple that will add texture and mimic the density of quilting in the body of the quilt (echoing what Heidi said above.:))

Take your favorite smallish background fills--the ones you can do with your eyes closed listening to music and starting dinner all at the same time!:P Scale it up--practice on paper and then on fabric. Usually it's easy to make bigger. Then stitch that design with side lighting for the whole border. The side lighting will allow you to see where you are quilting.

My favorites are loops and a BIG McT-style fill. Both are forgiving if you miss a spot and need to fill in an area.

Archived