NEED Tried and True Cold Remedies......

Laura Farnham

First of all, forget the quilt. Your health is more important.

Next, remember that the old slogan "feed a cold and starve a fever is incorrect - - it is really a shortened form of the phrase that goes something like . . . "Anyone dumb enough to feed a cold would also starve a fever." So go on a juice fast and take no solid foods.

Drink lots of liquids, especially cranberry juice which will help alkalinize your body. If you get frequent colds, your body may be acidic. When you get better Google acid/base balance in the body and how dietary changes can benefit you. Since I have stopped eating acidic foods, I no longer have colds, and I no longer get gout!

Any drugs you take will only treat the symptoms, meaning it will "cover them up," but in reality drugs just force the symptoms to go underground, i.e., deeper into your body.

Laura,

Sorry to hear you are ill. I can't tell you what to do, I usually end up with a sinus infection and have to go to the doctor, so I am no help. I will say that since I started taking vitamins and working out, I haven't had any of that stuff. I'm a believer. Plus, quilting is not working out ;) You have to step away from the machine and take care of yourself, believe me.

Ohhhh I LOVE Fuzzy Navels! For a cold I heat 1/2 cup of water to boiling, squeeze 1/2 lemon in it and then drop the lemon in the cup, cover with saucer for a few minutes. Take the lemon out, add some Jack Daniels and honey. SIP it. You decide gow much JD to put in. My family has sworn by this forever. My husband drinks Tang by the gallon when he has a cold but I find the JD:D

Almost what Cheri says. An old dr. once told my mother to squeeze a large lemon into a cup then cut it up and put all parts of the lemon into the cup. Cover with water and heat until hot like coffee. Add a tsp of sugar and sip. It will drain the sinus and strip the gunk from your throat. It will also help to break a fever, he said. We have used this for at least 40 years. I keep lemons for this purpose. Hope you feel better fast!

Thank~you all for you responses!!!

I think I'm liking the Fuzzy navel one the best!!!!!!

(Unfortunately, can't have alcohol when taking the Migraine Meds):(

Forgot about the Vicks on the feet this time. doing that right now.

I do that for the kids whenever they are sick.

You guys are the best.

Teaching class today on the Longarm!

Maybe this can be worked into it, " Take time off for yourself when your sick!!!"

I just need to listen to myself.

Have a great day everyone!!!!!

Laura

Can you go to a gym where they have the steam room and eucalyptus? You can bring your own eucalyptus oil. Sit in there and breathe deep for at least an hour, :) Works wonders.

Then go home and pour yourself a coiupld of fuzzy navels and take a nap. sound good. :D

Pop a bunch of vitamin C I like the chewable kind. eat them like candy.

Chicken soup ROCKS! The Breathe right strips are great too. I also find a basic cold pill (like Coricidin) and a few sips of brandy is just as effective as expensive elixirs like Nyquil.

Linda

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

Now, I don't know how the Vicks on the feet actually works but you have to spill the beans about this one. Does it just make you hope you will feel better fast?

haven't a clue how it works but it does. Mom used it on us kids and we would get lathered chest and back as well. And if life was really bad and we were bad sick she would make us eat some. ... Doesn't taste bad like eating vasaline with flavor. Didn't hurt us and usually was over it by morning. No I never made mine eat it. Got smarter by then and started to read labels.

i dont think anyone mentioned a sweat bath - these are great and really help you to burn the infection right out of your body. make sure you are well hydrated and put either water or orange juice next to your bed before you start. make sure you have tissues nearby as well, your nose will be runny when you get out.

fill your tub with water that is as hot as you can tolerate- sit in the tub with your body totally immersed for no less than 15 minutes but no more than 20 minutes - making sure to add hot water as you feel the tub cooling.

when you get out - dry off well, wrap yourself in your warmest jammies, put on a hat (preferable wool) and hop into bed. cover yourself with enough blankets to make yourself HOT - with at least one of them being wool.

SLEEP as long as your body wants. you should feel much better when you wake. you can repeat this daily til you are well.

Hi Everyone~

Thanks again for all the suggestions and rememdies!!!!

After 6 days of this crud, I am on the mend and back to quilting!

Hot water with lemon and Honey worked wonders as did the Vicks on the feet!!!!

But I must admit, taking the time off to just let myself recouperate was the ticket!!!!

Thanks again!!!!

Happy Quilting!

Laura

Archived