Longarmer Misses Piecing

Today I sat to pieced for a while. Just pulled out some UFO that I have and began to work on a simple block.

I knew that I missed piecing time but until today I didn't realize how much. I forgot what a pleasure I get out of piecing and how relaxing it can be.

I haven't made time for much piecing since my Longarm came into my life. I love doing that too.

So if you are longarm quilting for others Do you also lack piecing time? I have decided that I must make more time for this. I had to stop to come to work and well I didn't want to.

I just going to have to make more time for my own quilting pleasures. I may even have to reduce the quilts I take in to do it at least until I can quilt full-time. Any of you out there in the same boat?

Ditto for me. Several months ago I started setting aside 1 week each month to work on my stuff. It reduces the amount of quilts I can do for customers in a month, but I enjoy having the week off to piece, quilt some of my quilt tops or practice new stuff.

I use the MQ Business Manager for my business and set myself up in my waiting list as a reminder not to book my time with customer quilts.

Debbi

Great idea, taking a week off for yourself. I work part-time, so when I am not working I feel like I must work on customer quilts. I have heard machine quilters say that you should take one day a week off just to do what you want, piecing, shopping for your own quilt, yada. I started a quit for my daughter for a wedding present. She was married August 5, and the quilt is in strips - at least it is cut out;) The only time I work on it is when they ask me to work 8 hours and I take 1 hour for lunch - I take my machine with me and set it up in the former court room and quit. I'm guessing that quilt should be complete for their 50th anniversary:D

I miss it too.

I had the brilliant idea of taking off the month of Aug. No one needed to know that I was doing this but me. However, because I am still a newbie, and didn't schedule my customers property, I got SO behind! I am now quilting the entire month of August just so that I can catch up!

I tried taking Friday's off - but that didn't work. usually I would more time than I expected on someone's quilt, or too much time book keeping or on other miscellaneous stuff, so I would end up quilting on Friday just to keep up. :mad:

I still don't schedule my Fridays. I have tried to plan more time for each quilt and will test this theory out in the next few months. I really like the idea of a week dedicated to piecing each month. Maybe I can try that out in 2007! ;)

I am a newbie too, but had heard from other long-armers to schedule time to piece. So I've decided that when I finish a customer quilt that I will take a day or maybe two to just piece for myself. I guess I can call it my "reward" for finishing another quilt. It will be hard to do because there are customer quilts waiting to be finished. But until I can quit my day job and do machine quilting full-time, I'm taking time for myself.

I am a newbie too, but had heard from other long-armers to schedule time to piece. So I've decided that when I finish a customer quilt that I will take a day or maybe two to just piece for myself. I guess I can call it my "reward" for finishing another quilt. It will be hard to do because there are customer quilts waiting to be finished. But until I can quit my day job and do machine quilting full-time, I'm taking time for myself.

Hi Grammie,

I was feeling like you too! I now make time each morning to go upstairs to the sewing loft to piece. Just like Nancy Zieman says, "10, 20, 30 minutes to sew" certainly adds up. Nice to start the day out doing something for myself before I devote the rest of the day to customers quilts.

Glad you rediscovered what makes you happy and relaxed. Make time for it.

Allison C. Bayer, Plano, Texas

I recently went on a quilters retreat and it was such fun! I wasn't able to work on any customers quilts-had to work on my own for a change. The company was wonderful, the food delicious and I completed some blocks that had been in the closet for years! I hope to put them together in a quilt at the next retreat.

It is so hard scheduling time for your own creativity-but VERY important. Sometimes signing up for a class or escaping for a weekend is the best - it makes you more creative and productive and a better quilter all around.

Sue

yeahhhhhh....I have a little piece of time left:D:cool:*lol*: I?m gone quilting in the morning while the kids are at school ( we only have school in the morning!!! They are back for lunch!) and in the afternoon I try to piece ;)....but: doctors, kids meetings,sports.....and....ahhhhhh...the homework:o are crying for me heavily!:(

This afternoon enjoyed really: everyone was gone! And I could piece in peace;)

This is the result - not ready yet, two borders are still missing! (this evening!)

In the background of our wintergarden you see Mr.L?nnemann:D - he is my private houseboy;)made of stone!

Have fun and enjoy everything what you like to do - either piecing or quilting! I couldn?t live without both!

Good luck and best wishes from over the ocean.....

Claudia

YUMMY! Your sence of color amazes me Claudia! It is good to see Mr. L?nnemann again, I miss him *almost* as much as I miss you! I cannot wait to see what you do with this quilt!

Piecing? I hand piece or do handwork of some type every single day. I work in the early morning while having coffee and watching any recorded TV that I cannot stay awake for, and I work in the evenings while *bonding* with DH whle *HE* watches sports. I always have time for handwork and it travels very easily in the car or airplane as well!

Claudia - I love what you are working on - you always have such nice

bright colors!

Tammie - Yes, I am not not getting enough piecing in, but do a bunch of

quilting! Still have not been able to get in a habit of where there is more

time for me, but my DH does keep on reminding me to take the time - that

helps! I did just have a couple of weeks with "other stuff" going on, so I

was able to work on and finish one of mine - felt really good too! Need to

do that more!

I too piece on the train on the way to work or even just for 10 minutes in the early morning before I leave. Not saying I get a lot done and my UFO piles are many and large, but someday. I am so excited I finally ge to turn my machine on and ppppp this weekend I can hardly sit still, wish I had customer quilts to keep me from piecing but they will come in time.

Claudia, you are so amazing and now that I see where you live and your private houseboy, no wonder you have such gorgeous quilts. I think we all want to come to your house and watch you quilt and have you give us lessons in color and thread:D

I would be sooo happy to see you all in my house, town and country!:D

We would have soooo much fun while piecing , chit chatting and quilting!

Whenever you fly over the ocean.....come to visit me! I could organize a special class for you;):cool:....

I really would enjoy this.....

Have a great day.....

Claudia from Germany

BTW : The borders are sewn at the quilt now;)

Gosh, I seem to have the opposite problem. I have time in the world to piece and not many quilts to do on the longarm machine. I have done 4 and have two more waiting, but they are small and only an overall meander, so I can do thiem both in one afternoon (probably Saturday). I am working on piecing my quilt for the fair. It is Bonnie Browning's twisted log cabin pattern (like the one seen at the beginning of Simply Quilts)

.....this pattern is from Fons and Porter Magazine! I decided to sew it as a "fast,fun and quick" one, because I?ve got a lot of new batiks in my shop.;) to convince the customers to buy them:D

The black lines over the top I?ve done with black bias, ironing and than sewn with a twin needle(DSM).

The borders are made of 6 inch squares, laying like a rainbow around the quilt.

I do not often use published patterns but this issue of F&P I really liked: a huge result in colour and movement with a minimum of sewing difficulties:cool:

Have a great day....

Gone quilting right now....

Claudia

I, too, have very little if any time to piece tops. Most don't get quilted as there are too many customer quilts. I know several people who will quilt ten customer quilts then quilt one for them. I do need to adopt this policy, but never quite seem to get there.

I love to dye fabric and that has somewhat fallen by the wayside too. So, I am thinking of adding another quilting machine with a compuquilter or a statler. Any thoughts on this? I have the space with some major rearranging in my sewing room.

I have a millie...thinking about a compuquilter added to it. Then purchasing a Liberty for custom quilting. Or putting the compuquilter on the Liberty...tough decision...any thoughts?

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA:)

Hi all,

I am a newbie, looking forward to the arrival of my millie in a month or so, but I still have to make time to piece. I have been quilting with a lovely group on Monday nights for the last 10 years (wow-it's longer than I thought!). We meet every Monday, with few exceptions. I started going before I had my first child and I'm glad I did because I don't know if I'd EVER get to work on my own stuff sometimes. If you don't make time for yourself, doing whatever you like, you'll be hard pressed to find someone else who will do it for you.

And Claudia, that quilt is stunning. Fantastic use of color (AGAIN!). I'm marking my calendar to come to you in January to see these quilts & Mr. Lunnemann!

Cheers,

Elita Mazzone

Geneva, Switzerland

Claudia - I love the colors in that quilt. You truely are gifted in choosing fabrics that belong together. And your house boy, Mr.L?nnemann is definately a cutie. A bit stowic maybe, but he seems very attentive. One day, I hope to get to meet you in person.

I too miss piecing. I've got several project with the blocks all done but just have to put them together and complete the tops. I've made up my mind that I need to complete what I have (4 tops all in blocks to be assembled) before I can start in on another quilt. So, I'm trying to be good about that. Maybe next month, I can actually start a new quilt for myself.

Archived