Embroidery machines

I have a Huskvarna Viking and love it. I have the D1 which is an older machine (2004) Now they have fab upgrades. BUT, software is very important. I never wanted to digitize since if you have an image you want done, you can get most for about $30. Good digitizing software is about 1000-1200 so I figure I can get alot of things done by others to make that up. That being said, I have their "Customizing" software which allows me to combine files and sort thread, and I use that every time. I can also convert from one file type to another.

One thing I wish my machine had was a USB port. I have a floppy drive and I had to hang on to an old computer because my new one does not have floppy. I tried an external floppy but it does not play well with windows, the the USB conversion is $500

Good luck in your new ventures!

I have a Pfaff 2140 upgraded to a 2170. They aren't making that one any more, but my dream would be to get the Creative Vision by Pfaff. It has some nice work space, can be used as a general machine also, and does great things with just a touch of the right buttons and can work on it's own. I think it even does some general sewing things without guidance.

You would still need to change the thread colors yourself, but if you aren't doing it as a business, I don't think it is a great problem. In fact, sometimes it could be a benefit. I just embroidered 8 sweatshirts of the same designs for a friend and on the last one or two I needed to restitch an area, it was no problem to back the program up to the right color, and stitch it out again.

Have fun in the search. Make sure that you get one that can be connected to the computer so you can save designs in the computer and transfer them to the machine. Cards are becoming obsolete now. The Creative Vision comes with a USB port and jump drive for transferring, works great. The software for this is also a great benefit. It works great to combine designs or to create your own with minimal messing around (sometimes!).

Check into Embroidery Library ( www.emblibrary.com ) for good but inexpensive designs. When you sign up they also send you weekly emails with sales. Many sales are designs under $2.00.

Hi Mary Beth

There are so many great embroidery machine available now. I have the Husqvarna Designer Diamond, and absolutely love it. I did also have the Pfaff Creative Vision, which is another fantastic Embroidery machine. I sold that to help finance buying my Lenni.

Both the Diamond and the Creative vision can embroider a design up to nearly 14" in size. They share quite a few similarities.

Husqvarna have also just brought out the Designer Ruby, which for all intents and purposes is the same as the Diamond , but come with a smaller embroidery arm, so is cheaper to buy. Over on the Yahoo Husqvarna forums it is getting some good feedback.

I think you would love any of these machines.

MB, I have the Pfaff Creative Vision and I really love the embroidery I'm able to do with it. As said here on this thread, there are a variety of wonderful machines that do great things, the fun is finding the one you love, test as many as you can.

Here is a link to the Pfaff Machines that embroider. Have fun!

http://www.pfaffusa.com/21.html

Mary Beth, I have the Bernina 730e and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! It does a beautiful job whether it's with embroidery or regular stitching and has oodles of decorative stitches as well. The nice thing with this one, if you don't want to invest in any digitizing software right away, you don't need to. There is a computer processor right in this machine so when you change the sizes of your embroidery designs, it will recalculate the number of stitches so that it always stitches out a beautifully balanced design. You also have "word art" that allows you to do some really fun things with lettering.

But everyone is right, there are lots of great options on the market so you need to do your research and find the one that you think will be the best fit for you.

Just call me the Bernina/APQS gal! :D:D:D

Just make sure that when you are doing your research you are the one that sits there and uses the features of the machine. See which one works and sews the way you sew. Have your pro and con list going for all. That is the way I got started with Pfaff. I had a Bernina at home for 5 days as a trial, then a Pfaff for a day. The layout, the position of the parts in construction, and the working product were what I based my choice on.

I've had them all. They all have pros and cons. I think Babylock is the most user friendly. I traded my Babylock for a Bernina 830 and wish I had the Babylock back. Brother is also user friendly. The most important thing is a good dealer, you have to have a good dealer.

Guest Linda S

Mary Beth - I've been researching these for quite a while. Depends on what you want them to do. I think, for me, I want something where I can eventually digitize my own designs (which means it needs to have USB capability) and I don't want to spend a whole lot in case I decide I don't like embroidering. I have narrowed my choices down and I think I'm going to buy a Brother PE770. From all the comments I got when I asked, it seems that Brother machines are the easiest to use. If you have a Home Depot in your area, they supposedly sell these for less than $700 - which is about the cheapest you can get them on Ebay or at WalMart.

Linda

I have the Pfaff Creative Vision. I am not that happy with it. Where I live there isn't a Pfaff dealer near by. I have found that their customer support is worthless. My biggest problem with the machine is the software. For one thing they advocate that you buy the 4D Suite (now 5D) for your computer, it costs over $2000.00. I feel that I spent enough on the machine that I shouldn't have to spend that much more. When I called them for help the techs had just been allowed to work from home. When I finally got one on the phone I felt that I had interrupted her soap, she was less than helpful. I did find a dealer that was more than 2 hours drive from me to take a class on the machine, that class cost me over $250. If I were buying again, I would get a Janome 11000, or the one that Marie Osmond advertises. I already had a Pfaff 7550 that I really love to use so thought that I would stay with their product, and now I am sorry that I did. :(

MB, something you might want to consider is a used machine. When a new model comes out many people who have to have the latest trade theirs in and those are sold for a song. Around here there are some little ole ladies who trade theirs out every 2 years when a new model comes out. If you are in a guild post it to them and you can probably buy for 1/2 price. Most people around here that I know use a Brother and I can tell you the software is user friendly. Also, ask the dealer in your area to let you know when a good used machine becomes available. Just a thought.

MB I have had a Baby Lock and now a Pfaff and if I could do it over again I would get the Baby Lock for the ease of use. But I really think it is like buying a LA you need to go and try them for yourself. Sylvia has a very good idea about seeing about used ones. be sure you get one with a USB hub though. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Mary Beth, I also have the Janome 11000 and I'm very happy with it. If you already have a sewing machine you're happy with, you might want to look at the embroidery only machines. They are much more reasonable in price. As I've gotten older, I find an easy needle threader is important to me. In machine embroidery you're changing threads quite a bit. I think most people are happy with whatever they have and have gotten used to using. I used to digitize some of my patterns but there are so many out there now it isn't necessary. Have fun.

MB I also have the Bernina 730E, it has a USB port/stick so you don't have to have a cable from your computer to your embroidery machine to stitch out designs. Also the Bernina 730E comes with the basic embroidery software program (so you will be able to combine/ alter embroideries & or lettering without having to spend an additional large sum of $ for extra software. Downside to the basic software that comes with your machine is that it won't allow you to digitize your own designs/drawings...I have the top of the line software and never have used the digitizing part of it. the 730E also allows you to convert other embroidery files/formats into the "Art" files/format that Bernina uses. Also when buying a bernina you get all of your guide classes for free theough your dealer...it is important to have a dealer that you like no matter what brand you go with.

You will have fun with any embroidery machine you choose and you will be looking to use for more than just cute little outfits for the grandbabies :)

Mary Beth,

I too have a Janome 1100 and really enjoy it. However, I agree with Shirley's comment about getting an embroidery only machine. The DM's with built embroidery can be very pricy. If you don't need to replace your DM you can get more embroidery options (like more than one needle) with the embroidery only machines.

Pamela

Find a reputable dealer, buy a used something that has a lot of decorative stitches. Make a little dress and use every stitch you can, on the hem, on sleeves, pockets, pant legs, etc. Try several different applications with the basic stitches that come on the machine. Example: Pfaff 7550. Not a very expensive or fancy machine, but it has 200 stitches. I'll never use them all, and getting to know how to stop and start, how to pick up after changing the bobbin, all those things you need to know before you start.

Then, as you become proficient and are ready to move up, trade it in for another more advanced machine. I'm talking about within the warranty period--three months, not years. There is so much that can be done with embellishments for little clothes, that an expensive embroidery machine is way-overkill in the beginning.

I bought a camp shirt, oversized, for myself and I'm trying a lot of stitches on it, plus quilting the yoke, etc. to gain some experience and to see if I will actually use them.

The reason I say find a reputable dealer, someone who is willing to let you "try it out" and maybe trade up without losing money. . .be sure to read the fine print about no refunds. :o

post--13461904876578_thumb.jpg

Hey stranger--

I'm a Bernina Girl. I would suggest attending a TNT event that Bernina has. Lots of samples, other ladies/gents to chat with and you get finished project(s) at the end of the day--great deals to be had as well. I have a Bernina 200E & 180E and a Pfaff 7570 which I'd be willing to part with. I don't use it and have only done 1-2 things on it. I would take actual things you want to do and have the dealer sit with you on them (say a towel or a receiving blanket) and hoop it up, stitch it out and look at the quality of stitches and ease of use. If you don't think it's easy to use, you won't use it. Just like our big girls, you have to PPP,but the classes at the Bernina dealer are free and my dealer will let you repeat as many times as you need so you will be comfortable and confident. Wish you were closer, I love my dealer. They are part of my extended family.

Mary Beth, I have the Bernina 730E also and love it. I don't use the embroidery part as much as the sewing/quilting features, but when I do, it is very easy to manipulate your designs. Since you are in MO, you should go to Topstitch Sewing shop in Barnett (North of the Lake). This dealer has both Berninas AND Pfaff in his shop plus trade ins so you can compare them side by side. Dar in MO

If you plan on designs of any complexity, look into multiple needle machines also. If you already have a sewing machine you love, there are 4-6 needle embroidery only machines at reasonable cost. Then you can still work on quilt tops while the embroidery machine runs :-) .

Check out Brother's multiple needle machines. I hear a lot of good things about them. I've seen them at the "road shows" for the commercial embroidery world where you can see some of these, but the small Brother machines are also sold in retail stores.

As with anything...support is important.

Have fun exploring...

Anita

I don't want to spend time programming, etc. I just want to have fun and not get crazy. I don't want to do anything that will take the enjoyment out of the process. I have become addicted to Martha Pullen and that heirloom look. I have a Janome Memory Craft something....and I love that machine. I have a Janome/Baby Loc dealer close by so maybe I will stop by there and then the Bernina dealership to see what I can find.

Archived