How "Good" is good enough?

This is probably going to qualify as a whine....I've had my wonderful Millie for 3 years and have enjoyed this longarm quilting adventure...BUT I'm feeling frustrated by how HARD it is! See I told you it was a whine! I have the Circle Lord, giant templates, R and S boards and can turn out a nice quilt, but I want to be a CUSTOM Quilter...Darn it! So far, I've been trying to learn on my own.

When I'm doing freehand or ruler work, I can't get it just right...so I rip it out...And try again...How do I know when to stop ripping and just let it stand? I'm getting really good at ripping....heavy sigh...

Maybe classes would help? Or at least the chance to see other people's work? There is that HMQ thing is Utah, next May...Would that be helpful?

Thanks for listening to my whine and for any advice!

Karen in La.

Originally posted by smockingRN

....Maybe classes would help? Or at least the chance to see other people's work? There is that HMQ thing is Utah, next May...Would that be helpful?

First, I think you are being too hard on yourself, but we are all our worst critics. Have you ever attended a big show like MQS? If so have you looked closely at the quilting? Even some of the winning quilts don't have "perfection" so I think you need to ease up on yourself. Do your best that you can do and call it done. Don't look at every line with 3x magnification.

I do think that you will get a lot from a teacher and by seeing their work and others work. Attend HMQS! :)

Just remember that this is an artform and when using a ruler, you can get a nice curve but sometimes that curve can be a little wobbly. It's just the way it is. So, pull up (aviation terminology) and dont' get too involved in the minutiae

PS: Personally, I find freehand "imperfection" to be endearing and lovely. It's not supposed to be absolutely impeccable.

Hi Smocking RN:

I am new to long arming and the BIGGEST issue I had to deal with was to let go of the minor imperfections!!! Look at the over-all effect of the quilt. An realize it will never be perfect. (sigh.....)

The advise of looking at other quilting at shows, shops, etc, helps you realize it is not a perfect exercise. Yes, change the spots that jump at you and yell - mistake-but wait until you are done with the quilt, step back and look.

Compare hand-guided to hand-guided, not to a computerized program that runs the machine.

Anyway, I am not sure if it was helpful -- I have had a couple of customers who have absolutely delighted at my beginning efforts, (they even paid me!!!) and I have to remember we are so hard on ourselves, when other people want the ability we have.

Like Matt, says, just keep practicing!!!! Many hours make muscle memory. Enjoy the journey.

Joanne Flamand, aka wannabelonagarm

Artistic Quilt Designs

I've only been quilting two years and have found that classes are really helpful, especially when taking them from someone like DeLoa Jones. Her designs are really user friendly. Second, you must practice drawing 15 minutes a day. When you get ready to quilt, the design must already be in your memory so you can enjoy your quilting experience. I like to practice when I go to bed, because even though I may be dead tired, I'm wide awake when I try to sleep. Finally purchasing DVDs is a must. If you don't use the designs you'll forget them. So watching the DVDs helps reinforce what I've learned. Pick ONE design you'd like to work on and practice drawing it and using it on your quilts until you're comfortable with it. Then go on to another design. At times, I would find that I didn't really learn a design before I was off to another one. In no time at all you'll find that you were worrying about nothing, as we all do. Good luck!

Guest Linda S

I do mostly custom quilting, but I'll let you in on a secret. Virtually none of it is freehand. My brain does not function well enough to say okay loop the loop then put a flower here, loop, leaf here, loop the loop, etc. It panics when confronted with blank space. Most of my quilting is done using stencils or templates. Sometimes I just mark registration lines for feathers or various motifs, but to just be able to lay down a beautiful custom design freehand is not an easy thing. I can't emphasize how important it is to take a class. Just having someone show you and tell you "yes, you can do it" is worth its weight in gold. I was so fortunate to have classes with some of the best very early on in my career. No fear - just go for it.

Linda

They've said it all! A lot of times those little imperfections give an identity to that quilt and help it's originality. Most of the time the things I worried about were never noticed at all . Thank God I have Jane to stop me. I'm so picky I'd probably still be on my first quilt. LOL My Dad used to say:" Anything you think is going to be hard will be!"

You take care and have fun!!!!! Sincerely-- Grasshopper

aww, don't get discouraged! Shana, Linda and Libby give good advice! I remember one teachers mantra, "Pretend you are riding by on a galloping horse. OH! That's a beautiful quilt!"

We have to remember most people aren't going to look at it from 4" away like we do. They will stand back and admire the whole!

And yes, taking classes one one of the best things I ever did. If you cannot get to classes, the DVD's are especially wonderful. I recommend Myrna Ficken and Jamie Wallen, and my most recent; Lisa Calle "Feathers of a New Generation". Lots of great DVD's out there.

I could not do bump, bump feathers to save my soul; then I did what Kimmy Brunner said, practice on paper. Pretty soon that light bulb went on and I GOT it!

Good luck, and I'm sure you are doing great!!:P:P:P

I agree with all the comments above. It does take time, effort and a lot of practice to use a longarm quilting machine, but the results are so worth it! The key learning tools are books, DVD's , classes and drawing ( doodling) designs to get the movement into your head, and of course, PRACTICE! Each quilt you do will be better than the one before. And as Linda Taylor says, "Allow yourself time to be a beginner."

Shelley

Karen, I completely get what you are saying!!!! There is always that dreaded bobble or bump or eek that jumps in when quilting. I wish I could think of it as enduring! I am so glad Linda has fessed up that she had aids she uses cause she is a awesome quilter. Sometimes I have to put things away from months before I can look at it again!!!!!!

Karen,

Is May the only month you can go? There are other options that are closer. DeLoa will be here in a couple of weeks. Maybe you could make a trip down and we could put together a class. If I can help you let me know. Also, there are some great DVDs out there.

Email me if you would like some recommendations. sandra@quiltcorneronline.com

I am sure you are being too hard on yourself.

Sandra

Classes and books are wonderful help and inspiration. I do mostly custom and love it. I do suggest classes by Deloa Jones. She taught me so much in an easy going, calm manner. I only took the lectures, but wow, did I learn a lot. If someone in the class didn't understand, she patiently went over the method again. It has been 3 years since I took my first class with her and I still use her designs over and over again. Do draw out designs as it makes a world of difference. My most recent purchase was Hooked on Feathers and I found wonderful new ways to do feathers, even though I do hump/bump feathers instead of the way Sally does hers. I worked in a quilt shop for 3 years with no instruction on the long arm and I went no where fast. My quilting took off after 3 days of classes at MQS.

Karen,

You have gotten such good advice and I too am a Deloa fan! If you can get a class with her you won't regret it. She is very practical in her design approach and makes it seem so attainable. I too like to have targets and get overwhelmed if I don't have my space planned so I often use stencils or mark targets with chalk. It takes the stress out. Use your stitch regulator if it is stitch quality that is bothering you. I know it is frustrating to hear ppp but it is so true. Get some charity quilts to practice on and don't take any of it out. Practice first on paper and then get to the quilt. One step at a time. Find what works for you. Try different methods. There are times somebody tells me something is wonderful and makes things so easy but when I try it I find it difficult but when I try it a different way I think that is easy. You just won't know until you find what works for you.

How "Good" is good enough?

Good enough is when---

Your friends/customers are thrilled with your quilting (remember, THEY CAN'T DO WHAT YOU DO.)

They cry when they pick up the quilt, because mom/grandma/Aunt Sue pieced it years ago and they are soooo happy it can now be used and loved.

You see the tiny flaws, but no one else does. (This will happen very quickly when you care as much as you obviously do, Karen.)

When you step across the room and turn to see the finished quilt on display for the first time and you say to yourself--not bad, not bad at all. Or YOU cry.

When a friend or customer drops off a quilt and you ask them what they would like quilted--and they say, do whatever you think is best. You are the pro. (That one is a big one! A pro? Me?:P)

Don't give up. If you want to do custom, classes from those you admire are a great way to go. Remember too, custom is mostly about stitch density. Practice echoing, McTavishing and other micro fills, and hitting the mark. Control of the machine is vital and all about muscle, eye-hand coordination and repetition. So yes--practice and persistence is what it's all about.

Please hang in there!

Take photos of all of your quilts. Look back to the first quilt you did and compare to the most recent. Bet you see a big improvement! I started a journal when I got my Millie, with notes about each quilt and photos. It's a huge source of comfort and information. Like, what needle size is in my machine right now? What was my threadpath for monofilament? Etc.

I got tons better at custom when I stopped my customer's quilts for a short time and quilted one of my own. It took a couple of weeks, but my improvement was incredible. It especially helped me place stitches more precisely and SID decently.

I teach a beginning quilter's workshop for people who quilt on DSMs. One of the first things we do is wave good bye to perfection, as it flies out the door. Machine quilting is not perfect, at least not when it is hand driven. I don't care how many tools you use, it won't be perfect. So stop expecting perfection:D

As a fellow Moxie. Jim, put it,

"When an artist displays their oil painting in a gallery, do we look at each brush stroke? No we look at the entire work of art."

We will always zone in on all the imperfections but we are the only ones who will.

I, personnally have never been entirely happy with any of my pieces but others claim to really admire them so, OK. I guess you can fool some of the people some of the time:P

I also don't have much of a desire for a computerized system because I prefer to see the artist's hand in people's work.

Just relax and keep enjoying what you do. So some don't turn out as well as you want, it'll get there.

Thank you! Thank YOU ALL! I'm printing all these words of wisdom . You all know exactly how I am feeling...

I guess I do feel that my work SHOULD be better....Before I got my Mille I was really into smocking, embroidery and heirloom sewing. I always used extra lighting and magnification when embroidering so each stitch could be as nearly perfect as possible. NO Wonder my quilting doesn't seem good enough....I've got to get over this! Thank you all again for the great advise!

Karen in La.

Karen - I will just add how important those classes are, and SO much fun too!!! Love to meet those teachers - they are just people too ya' know....

I still remember my "Ah - HA!" moment about a week after taking a class with Karen McTavish down in Iowa at the APQS classroom. It really does help to SEE them do the things that they do - and you learn that you can do it too!! P-P-P - Pratice.. etc......

Just rember to BREATH - relax and have fun!

Keep on trying until your good is better - and your better BEST!!! (a saying my kids learned in school)

Karen, I've had my Millie about as long as you have and I feel the same way. I didn't buy it for a business, just for me so that means for every quilt I have to make the top (or find really good deals on them). I was just asking some people about classes and I think i'm ready for another one. I took a feather class from Shannon (doodlebug) in the summer and it really helped me. Classes I took at Innovations were so quick that I really didn't retain much from any of them. My money is better spent on whole day classes and am watching for DeLoa to come out west. SometimesI feel like i'm so dumb not being able to quilt beautifully like others but it's there job not just a hobby. My grandkids love what I do!

Carreen

Hi Carreen, I'm glad I'm not the only one! Deloa is coming to Louisiana and I'm taking my first class this Saturday. And that's a very good thing because I need help! I am the original remedial longarm quilter ;-).

I spent all day on my first true custom quilt and by some miracle, The quilting is OK!~ It is a gorgeous top...probably the prettiest one I've gotten. It had MILES of stitch in the ditch...It's possible I may finally have mastered an essential skill! Yay!!! Hugs to all, especially the remedial quilters like me!

Karen in La.

All great advice. The thing I would add is to go organic. I too am a big DeLoa fan - she does marvelous flowers and leaves, and I what I love about this is that each one is unique - you get to put your personal style into it. You may not want to go with precise crosshatching and designs that have to be exactly the same. I personally find that very hard to do.

So - find your strength, go with that, and then once you're comfortable, continue to stretch yourself. I try to do a little learning with each quilt I do - practice a skill, learn a new one - etc.

Good luck!

Julia

Archived