Naysayers

Woohoo! My Millie is going to be delivered next week! Oh happy dance, happy dance!

Most people have been very supportive. A few, however, definitely are trying to rain on my parade. A casual quilting friend, who isn't interested in doing LA and doesn't want me to be interested either, actually told me that "it could be a few years before you can make money on it or even start doing quilts for others".

I don't even have the machine yet and I've got six tops that a few people have asked me if I could quilt for them.

What's your best Naysayer story? I would love to hear the story and how you have proved them wrong.

I swear, if this was a power boat or motorcycle, no one would think twice!

Gail

Gail; you go girl! Your attitude will take you anywhere. For at least 5 years I talked about owning a long-arm. My husband (love him dearly) just couldn't see past the $$$$. So I finally did all my research, found a used APQS Discovery at the factory and then he became my greatest supporter. I've had some say, "but there are so many long-armers in our area" and I say, "yes, but how many quilters". I guess my Dad was my biggest supporter. He is a quiet reserved man and doesn't say much, but when I got my Discovery, he came to the house to try it out and just looked at me and said, "you can do this Sis and you'll do a good job". When others say I won't be able to make it, I'll remember my Dad's words. God and Family will pull us through anything! Best of luck to you! Sharon.

Woo-Hoo Gail! :cool:

Watch out quilting world here comes a gal with a passion!:D

I love your attitude Gail, you can do any thing that you set your mind to.

Don't give a second thought to Naysayers, it will actually make you want to work harder,:P nothing is more of a challenge to me when I hear the words "You Can't Do That"!!!!! "Oh really?":P

So I say to you Gail ~~~~~

"Just watch me"! ;)

Guest Linda S

I've cleaned this up a bit for public presentation:

When negative people do their best to rain on your parade:

A woman was at her hairdresser's getting her hair styled for a trip to Rome with her husband.

She mentioned the trip to the hairdresser,who responded: "Rome? Why would anyone want to go there? It's crowded and dirty. You're crazy to go to Rome. So, how are you getting there?"

"We're taking Continental," was the reply. "We got a great rate!"

"Continental?" exclaimed the hairdresser. "That's a terrible airline. Their planes are old, their flight attendants are ugly, and they're always late. So, where are you staying in Rome?"

"We'll be at this exclusive little place over onRome's Tiber River called Teste."

"Don't go any further. I know that place. Everybody thinks it's gonna be something special and exclusive, but it's really a dump, the worst hotel in the city! The rooms are small, the service is surly, and they're overpriced. So, whatcha' doing when you get there?"

"We're going to go to see the Vatican and we hope to see the Pope."

"That's rich," laughed the hairdresser. "You and a million other people trying to see him. He'll look the size of an ant. Boy, good luck on this lousy trip of yours. You're going to need it."

A month later, the woman again came in for a hairdo. The hairdresser asked her about her trip to Rome.

"It was wonderful," explained the woman, "not only were we on time in one of Continental's brand new planes, but it was overbooked and they bumped us up to first class. The food and wine werewonderful, and I had a handsome 28-year-old steward who waited on me hand and foot. And the hotel was great! They'd just finished a $5 million remodeling job and now it's a jewel, the finest hotel in the city. They,too, were overbooked, so they apologized and gave us their owner's suite at no extra charge!"

"Well," muttered the hairdresser, "that's all well and good, but I know you didn't get to see the Pope."

"Actually, we were quite lucky, because as we toured the Vatican, a Swiss Guard tapped me on the shoulder, and explained that the Pope likes to meet some of the visitors, and if I'd be so kind as to step into his private room and wait, the Pope would personally greet me. Sure enough, five minutes later, the Pope walked through the door and shook my hand; I knelt down and he spoke a few words to me."

"Oh really! What'd he say?"

He said: "Where'd you get the crappy hairdo?"

Oh, Linda! That is too funny! Yes, there are too many of those naysayers out there.

Gail, do not worry about those negative people. Most of them are just negative in every aspect of their life and they would not know an opportunity if it hit them in the face. When you have so many tops to quilt that you do not have time to spend with your friend any more, maybe we can get Linda to help write a letter to her explaining how busy you are!:P

WHY can I not type an apostrophe without this crazy thing going down to "Find"? Anyone else having that problem today? I must have hit a hot key or something and do not know how to turn it off! Oh well, there are negative people and then there are computer dummies! :)

WHY

It's funny. My mom (usually the Angel of Doom in the family) has been extremely supportive. Maybe because she has four tops that need quilting?? My dad (84 yos) asked me last night if I thought this might just a whim.

When he was around my age, he bought a 27 foot travel trailer. I told him that this was no more a whim than his trailer. In fact, this was my version of the trailer. Funny, he didn't have anything else to say. :P

I always tell people... Never, ever make a smart woman mad because we'll just bide our time and then nail you.

Love dad to death but like I said, if this was a boat, motorcycle or trailer, no one would say a word.

Linda, that is a great story!!! Thanks for sharing.

Linda; your post was too funny!

Gail; I agree? the naysayer are not worth your time. They tend to suck the life out of those around them. A good attitude gets you far.

When I made the decision to get my machine and change my career direction I was a bit concerned how my work friends would react. I braced for impact and was pleasantly surprised. My close friends we very excited for me and to this day are interested in what is new and interesting in the world of quilting.

Life is funny sometimes you get support from the most unexpected people.

Keep on dancing that happy dance!

KB

PS Judy L I miss your smiling face, where did your picture go?

Boy I can relate to having someone tell you terrible things before you take a trip. Before we went to Australia last fall I was in a local quilt shop and we were discussing our upcoming trip. She had been there and the only thing she could tell me was "WATCH OUT FOR THE RED BELLIED BLACK SNAKES....THEY ARE EVERYWHERE." Well, I thought for sure they would be crawling around the streets of Sydney. Saw only one and that was in a zoo.

I did get to meet Liuxin Newman in Sydney. What a sweet lady. She did say that people in the suburbs sometimes put up special fences. I was really freaked out though. But never saw one in the wild in Cairns, Ayres Rock, Alice Springs or Sydney.

Why do some people always have to just think about the bad things. Of all the people I had spoken to about Australia, not one ever mentioned the snakes. I know they are there and are very deadly.

Loved Australia and really want to go back.

Don't pay any attention to those with negative remarks. There is enough negativity in the world.

I LOVED, LOVED the joke about the trip to Rome.

Gail, as long as you believe in yourself you can do anything. Believe me I know that from experience. I fail when I listen to others instead of the inner voice inside of me. Sometimes I am my own worst enemy and that usually happens when I believe the negative stuff. I am done with that and you just go forward. My goodness you are already ahead of some of us newbies here by having quilt tops waiting for you. Congratulations on that!!

Linda thank you so much for the laugh. What a great story. :D

Linda - that was a great story! Loved it!

Gail you will be just fine - we are all here to help when you need it - you

are getting THE best machine out there and are about to start a wonderful

adventure! I look forward to seeing photos of your work - you will get to

that point before you know it!!:D

Oh and by the way - my husbands new Harley cost twice as much as my

Mel did - - - - Like I will ever forget that!;) I still want another one with the

CompuQuilter!!!!!:P

I am getting very excited! My new child is going to be delivered Thursday. Yippee!! Of course, I will still have to set it up. But, I'm pretty darn good at putting things together so this isn't bothering me at all. I'm willing to bet that my 84 yo father, retired engineer, will be right beside me sticking his nose in. Good thing too, as I will need his help as I put the various pieces together.

I need to print off JudyL's comment on the best advise she ever received and read it over and over again.

Every time I think about my friend's comment that it will be YEARS before I can quilt for a customer, I just crack up. I was up at Joann Fabrics yesterday chatting with a couple of friends in the Viking Center and they can't wait for me to get this machine. So far, only one negative person!

You guys know how it is.... We all have our own doubts and issues without someone else adding to them. Don't just wish people would just keep their negative thoughts to themselves?? I've read here so many times the concern over whether or not you have done the right thing only to go on and do great. I just love this web site.

Gail

• 5 months later...

The trick is not to listen to them, mhstrand. Not easy to do when you are fighting your own doubts. I still haven't told my "friend" about the beast in my basement. I figure she doesn't need to know.

I got my machine in September and haven't had much time to play. In an effort to practice, I put together a quilt top made from scraps. I just finished quilting it this weekend. My dear mother is stitching down the binding for me as she enjoys doing handwork. As soon as I get it back, I will post a picture. Here is a picture of it pre quilting.

post--13461897879781_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the big laugh Linda.

Great quilt Gail. You had a photo of the beginning of it with your little helper. He's been busy.

You know what they say about throwing shirt into the air? The wind can blow it back.

I've only had my machine for three months and can now charge for at least a couple of pantographs. Today I'm working on the Hartley Fence since I'm turning in a show quilt by the end of the month using the concentric circles. Myrna Ficken's training in UT was extremely valuable. She is an APQS rep and you can reach her here on the chat or go to her web site www.aquilterschoice.com. Three days of training and I had so much more confidence.

Good luck. You can do it like the multitudes of us.

Vicki

Archived