Pricing Quilts

Its good to have quilts in all price ranges if possible. A lot depends on what you are going to market. If you just want to make some bucks you can buy tops on e-bay for a song and pass along the saving to your clients. If you made it from scratch, do the figures-Time, Materials, Quilting @ the going rate and see where it falls. Make the prices acceptable to you. You can always go down-coming up seems to never work! We make faux tops for kids etc, out of those printed fabrics that almost look like a quilt. Just doing very simple quilting by following the existing lines and designs on the fabrics.

This way you can please a wider variety of customer. One who wants quality and one who just wants a little special gift for little Ebinezer with out breaking the bank.

A lot of times in our sales world we have stories to go with quilts to attract attention-why the materials are placed in the patterns they are, Slave quilts for example, they have a lot of meaning and mean different things- replica's sell well with the story telling of the design and what it meant, how the Underground Railroad conductors would display them and where. Just interesting stuff to give more intrigue and value to the quilt top.

Quilts made to bring good luck---etc.

Just some thoughts for ya~! Have a Great Day!--grasshopper

• 4 weeks later...

Start by figuring out how much you want to make per hour. Quilt all the styles you want to offer, 15 minutes at a time and measure how many square inches you got done. Multiply that by 4, that's how much you can do in an hour. Divide the Hourly rate you want by the # of square inches that were done. This is how much you should charge per square inch for that particular type of quilting. This will give you a nice even amount that you'll make per hour & you will make the same hourly rate whether you are doing custom or e2e. Just make that you take all your expenses & a little extra(profit) into account when you set the hourly rate that you want. Afterall, the plumber/electrician/mechanic charges a "labor rate" and that is usually 2-4 times what they are actually taking home, in order to cover expenses & build profit into their business so that they can continue to grow.

If you are piecing also, the same thing goes...except figure out how long it takes you to do the work, add in expenses & then add a little cushion and profit on top.

Jessica

I have STARTING prices for custom quilts on my website - www.soquilts.com if you want a comparison.

Every time I do a custom quilt from scratch, I raise my rates because it seems like I make about $10/hour. My rates are already about twice what you're listing.

Jessica gives good advice. How complex are these quilts? Are you using quilt shop fabric at $8-10/yard, or sale fabric that you got at $2-4/yard? How much would you charge for the long-arm quilting alone?

Add up all your expenses and materials, figure out how much you want to make per hour, estimate the time to make the quilt and do the quilting, and come up with an estimate.

Good luck. I make a much better hourly rate with longarm quilting than I do on custom quilts, but it's nice to be able to use up some of my stash!

Julia

Juia, the quilts are not complex. Yellow Brick Road and other types of fat quarter or jelly roll quilts. I am getting the fabric at the quilt shop so it's good stuff. I think I do need to add in the longarm quilting portion also. I realize no matter what I won't get wealthy doing this, but at least it will be an experience:P

Archived