Suggestions for books/DVD

QuiltsbyNini

I won't be getting my machine until after the first of the year. In the meantime, I want to read and watch everything I can.

What suggestions would you offer to someone just starting out? I have Mastering the art of McTavishing and LOVE it. I watch the DVD several times a day! My kids tease me that while I am watching, my hands are moving like I was running a machine!!

Thanks

Guest Linda S

Also get Karen's "Secrets of Elemental Quilting." I also comes with a DVD and is wonderful. Nichole Webb has some DVDs on freehand quilting which are really good. I've also heard that Dawn Ramirez's "Pajama Quilting for Newbies" is really good. I think you can get all of these at www.columbiariverquilting.com

Sherry Rogers-Harrison's "Formal Feathers 101" is also not to be missed. It is a book with the feather designs in it, arrows to show you the direction to go, and plastic over some shapes to let you have a go at it with a water-erasable pen. Such a wonderful teaching tool!

We are so fortunate to have these "how-to's" available.

Linda

P.S. Jamie Wallen has a new "Workshop in a Box" out for freehand quilting (which I do not do well), and I should be receiving it this week. I'll let you know what I think, but it sounds superb. Book, two DVDs, practice slicks (so you can trace over the designs), and more for an introductory price of $75 plus shipping. http://www.jamiewallen.citymax.com/home.html

Many like the Pam Clarke DVD's because she has many freehand elements that are easy to master by simply marking grid lines. I don't personally own any...as I have taken classes from her when I was beginning to quilt. I own several of her stencils for marking....2 of which I use extensively. The stencil that divides a block in to 8 segments and the straight line grid (I bought 2 of these grids...one with markings at 1 inch and the other at 1 1/2 inches. I felt this combo was all that I needed to get a wide variety of widths).

Pam is a good beginning teacher with many ideas. I recommend her if you can ever get to MQX or MQS.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Archived