How to store Fabric?

Judi

Jody, I am going to Harrisburg too. tomorrow. Friday the 8th. A friend of mine that also quilts asked me to go with her. Do you think anyone from APQS will be there? DH wants me to leave the checkbook and the credit card home.

I have never had a class on the Millenium and hope to see someone who knows more about it. I also want to find out if there is such a thing as a bar for batting that can be attached under the machine somehow. I hate the idea of the batting dragging on the floor. It can be a mess down there.

I tuck it up and sometimes forget to untuck it before I roll the quilt and then have to unroll to get it out from under the quilt top. Still learning all the little tricks. Maybe I will see you there. Wish i knew how to post a picture.

I'm sorry that I'm so late posting here - just got here - anyway, I also have the wire baskets and I got mine as a set of 5 - 9" deep baskets in their own frame at Lowes and use them for about 90% of my fabric storage (I think I paid about $65 or $70 for them). I keep them in a stand alone pantry type cupboard with a top cupboard (that works for packages of batting) & the wireshelves are on the bottom. I found the cupboard in an unfinished furniture store (I removed the wooden shelves & painted the cabinet inside and out and loaded the rack w/ drawers into it). It's about 28" deep & 28" wide. They are so convienient as Linda said. The shelf unit that I have is quite tall (maybe 42" or 45 ") but it worked perfect in the cabinet that I bought. Also, doors on cabinet keeps out light. I still have some of the larger pieces of fabric in plastic totes and keep them in a closet . I have 6 plastic roll around plastic 3 drawer units also. On 3 of them, I have a pressing serface made out of plywood, several layers of warm & natural batting & a cotton cover stapled to the wood. And the other 3 are under my Milli for thread storage. Anyway, just my 2 cents worth

• 3 weeks later...

This is the first time I've posted a question. Hope I'm doing it right.

Up until now I didn't know that storing fabric in wood was bad for it.

Are there any other things I should avoid when storing my fabric? Right now I have them sorted in different cardboard shoeboxes. I bought them at a scrapbook store. The boxes are acid-free, normally used for storing photos.

I thought my scraps & fabrics would be safer out of the light.

Is there any harm with storing them in cardboard?

The Container Store has the Elfa storage systems on sale every January. Also, Closet Maid is a close enough match. I have both. They do make drawer inserts (or did) that are white fabric that would help with the sun. I love these for my closet. I found that the weight of my fabric would cause the drawers to come off the runners, but they have clips now that work well to keep them on the runners. Costco has the (what we call) roly-poly's occasionally that are great for thread or whatever(s). I just got the 12 x 12 that are for scrapbookers. They have a bilt in/hinged lid. I just put all of my thread away from Innovations.

Pam

• 3 months later...

Well, I just have to brag about my latest industrious efforts. Last weekend I purchased at Fred Meyers 6 (six) plastic boxes with 3 (three) drawers each, which gives me 18 (eighteen) drawers (do I pass the quilter's math test?). They were labeled "8 1/2 X 11" so they must have been meant for office paper. Well, I have a lifetime of quilting scraps, none as much as a yard, most just bits and pieces, so these are perfect for my collection. I have labeled each with the color, some taking two drawers so I will take a page from your idea and separate into light and dark. Let's see if I can attach a picture of my sewing closet, which is across the hall from my "dining"/sewing room (I use DH's grandparents' beautiful walnut dining table which has three leaves if I need them and holds whatever size quilt my little heart desires but would have to be replaced by any LA I buy..... but I digress). Here goes!

Nope, no go. I'm stymied, how d'ya do it, you guys???

Patty - go up and click on search and look under "posting photos" Linda in

Ramona gave the best instructions once! I printed them out and was able

get it! Still only one at a time, but working on it!:D

I like the sound of your drawers, I am really getting into Hand applique and

am saving such little bits now! My big problem are those pieces where I

have over 4 yards - some even over 9.... I guess I just better get busy and

make some quilts to use that up, right?!!:)

• 4 months later...

Archived