What should I look out for?

quiltsalot1962

Tomorrow I go look at a used George. I am very interested, but don't want to make a mistake. Is there something I should look out for to make sure that there isn't something wrong with it. I do plan to sew on it first, of course. It should have a manual, I know that, but what else?

Can it use any kind of needles, or does it use only great big ones? Do great big needles leave holes in your quilts? Have you used rulers with George--like the Fine Line rulers? Do they work well?

Is there anything I should have asked/should know before I go ahead?

Thank you all so much for any information you give me.

George is an awesome machine. It is the same as our longarms made to fit a sit down table. It uses industrial needles, not regular machine needles. The hole is a bit bigger but closes up.

It can't be more that a few years old even if it is one of the first produced. They, like all of our machines are work horses.

If you like moving the quilt it can't be beat, great throat space. She may have extra needles and should the oil for it, manual, light,bobbin case foot pedal. The warranty does not transfer I don't think.

Actually, I'm a George owner and bought a "Fine Line" Quilters Ruler marketed by Accents in Design (NAYYY). It's 8" long and you can manaeuver it with relative ease with your left hand. All you use is your thumb and index finger. It has a strip of hook tape on the underside and works really well for straight line designs; also incremental scoring on the underside with 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, and 2-1/2 inch widths. Their website is www.accentsindesign.com.

Laura in OH

Lisa, could you give some more information on this adapter foot??? What does it look like, and where do you find one of these????

I have been wondering about rulers for my George, but can't visualize how they would be used! All the info I can get, I'd be grateful for.

Great Holidays to all,

Lisel

Thank you all for the information. I bought my George from its prior owner one week ago today, and am having a great time with it. It's set up in my living room. As someone once said, "it's just a place for my dog to sleep." The information on the Fine Line rulers and especially regarding the adapter foot is very interesting. I will be looking for this foot soon. Right now, I am free-motion quilting in the ditch, which I have done on my DSM for some time, but there is a learning curve for sure. It's just hard to know exactly where the ditch is with a different machine. It's getting better already, though.

Thanks again.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

APQS I believe has them as the older machines came with the disc type of foot. When I bought my Milliie (2002) you had to use an adapter to use rulers. When they came out with the current foot I upgraded mine. You might give APQS a call.

Cindy,

I will work on getting a video shot of using George with rulers ASAP. You can get the plastic adapter from APQS. In addition, the new interchangeable foot can go on to a George. (It requires a little more in-depth work, but can be done "in the field" or you can send George to the factory for the update.)

We are finalizing the feet at this moment with our machinist, and hope to have them available in the next 30 days or so. The foot works by having a "split shaft" foot, where the bottom half unscrews so you can use different feet.

Currently we have an "open toe" low profile foot for George, a "high profile" foot to help you use templates and rulers with George (including a ruler that can help you "piece" with George!) and a high profile open toe foot in the works. We will know more about their debut in the next week or two and will keep you posted!

Archived