Madeira Monolon - thread breakage!

I am quilting a lap size all-batik quilt. The customer wants Monolon thread throughout the top. I'm using a smaller overall pattern for quilting and I can't get more than 1-2 inches without the thread breaking. I've used this thread in the past without problems and even used in on a project with my domestic machine last night with no issues.

I've adjusted the tension low, changed needle sizes, re-threaded the machine several times, and even last night I oiled the machine very well and let it sit overnight before returning to this nightmare of a quilt. I'm using Superior Rainbows thread in the bobbin and that has also been adjusted for lower tension as well.

Any suggestions or ideas on how to fix this problem would be very appreciated! Of course, this quilt needs to be done before the end of the month and I was really hoping to finish it up before heading out of town for Christmas tomorrow:(

I think the Rainbow thread might be too heavy to use with the Monolon, but I don't know if it would cause the top thread to break. I use BL pre-wounds and have used So Fine for a bobbin with it with success.

When the Monolon is threaded through the needle, pull it toward the rear , then let go of the thread. If the thread springs back and it is curly, the top tension is still too tight. Loosen until the thread slides through the needle and there is no more curly-ness. It will be REALLY loose--you can almost see daylight between the tension disks! The bobbin tension must also be loosened up--I use the Towa gauge and try to hit 15 (or 150 for the newer ones).

That lovely sock that comes with the thread needs to sit a little lower than the "shoulder" of the cone. I also add another regular thread sock--just works better for me that way. And thread the last 3-hole up the first hole and down the third hole.

I hope you get it to work for you and you finish up that last project.

Merry Christmas!

I pulled the thread sock lower on the cone and it seemed to help for a while - was able to make it about 2-3 minutes before the thread broke again and now it's back to breaking every couple of inches.

My hubby's taking a look at things now...we'll see if he can see something I don't. ;)

what size needle are you using? and could you have a bad cone of thread or a bur somewhere or a notch in one of your pigtails. just some other things to look at. I just finished a quilt with the same thread and ended up having to use of all things a 4.5 needle to keep it from breaking.

Archived