Silicone Spray

Kari

I have been having problems with the Valdani threads on my machine. In a class that I was taking at Quilt University, Carol Thelen suggested spraying the thread with silicone spray. On my most recent quilt (again trying to use a Valdani dark red and black variegated thread that was breaking alot) I finally broke down and tried the silicone spray. It really did help - no breakage at all.

My question is - will this create any problems to the machine? I think I've tried every other possible modifications to the machine (from Sally Terry's video on thread) - all without success. I need to know if I should give up on the thread altogether or use the slicone spray when having a problem.

Suggestions or comments?

Kari

Kari: I never could get the Valdani threads to work. The new Valdani is supposed to be better but the stuff they first came out with was awful in my opinion. If you feel the thread, does it feel nubby and rough? If so, I wouldn't mess with trying to use it.

I had ordered quite a bit of it and can't use any of it. I do have a sample of the newer thread but Valdani will never be a favorite of mine. Superior and Signature stand behind their product and have such a range of colors/types without me having to jump through hoops and hold my tongue just right to get it to work.

Just my opinion!

Judy L.

We have a lot of Valdani thread that we have not been able to use. This past week were at the VDTA/SDTA/IQP convention in Las Vegas and were able to take classes from Sally Terry and Donita Reeves. Both stated that the Valdani thread as a rule was not as strong as some of the others. Some things that were suggested included using a larger needle, going slower, etc. Others have suggested that you use like thread on both top and bottom.

Good luck and if you find something that works, let us know -- want to be able to use what we have!

Dave Behling

APQS Millennium

Oakley, CA

I've been using the variegated Valdani in the bobbin when I'm doing an overall meander with a solid backing and I just want to brighten it up a bit. One way to get rid of them!! I've totally given up on using the Valdani in the top though.

Judy L.

I have been using some Aurifil from Donita Reeves site and it is working wonderfully. Also using YLI and no problems either though the tension has to be changed when I switch threads. I had problems with the cone of Signature I have breaking and bought some Sewers Aid a few drops of Sewers Aid on the cone solved the problem so have been using it most of the time. jeri

• 2 weeks later...

I found that some of the threads that I wanted use also were breaking and I actually had my husband put a gadget on my machine that puts silicone on the thread as it sews. He mounted it right up from the first thread guide.

I hardly have any breakage now, except I had some recently with 'Star' threads, but they seemed weak to begin with.

• 1 year later...

You could actually live without this "tool", but it's cool just the same.

I've purchased some cheap vinyl by the yard at JoAnne's. I then traced over one of my panto's using only the width of the vinyl. I traced it only once then cut of the clear pano.

The purpose originally being to "show" a customer what the pantomight look like on their quilt. I also found that if I put the traced copy on a quilt that I'm working on, it will help me figure out where to advance it to!

And then, in addition to that, by accident I found out that when I roll it with the panto for storing, it not only protects the paper but it sticks to itself, so no more rubberbands, paperclips, etc to keep them rolled!

I love that idea!! I'm getting my Mille next Thursday and am running around like crazy trying to get organized, I love your idea!! Thanks so much. I'm so afraid that I won't be able to figure out what I'm doing, a little organization sets my mind at ease--a little!

Kelly

Soon to be Mille owner

Guest Linda S

Oh Kelly!

You are in for so much fun! I set up my Liberty last Thursday and am having a blast. I'm not the most organized person, but I had watched that training video so many times I had no problem grabbing those handles and knowing exactly which buttons to push.

Enjoy the ride!

Linda

Archived