Quilt display

Janice

A small theater in my area is putting on a performance of "Quilts". They have asked for quilts to display. A guild member called and asked if I would display some of my quilts and wallhangings. They want them this weekend and will not finish displaying them until the end of Feb. I am to drop them off at a guild member's house and she will take them to the theater. Have any of you done anything similar to this? My dh is concerned that someone may like some of the displayed quilts and remove them from the theater. Are they usually insured?Who decides the value? I have heard of others who have had quilts stolen and I wanted some information before I took my quilts. thanks

Originally posted by Janice

....My dh is concerned that someone may like some of the displayed quilts and remove them from the theater. Are they usually insured?Who decides the value?

These are all very good questions! I would definitely ask about security, and about insurance coverage if there were fire or theft. Ask if this is the first year they have done this or have they done it in the past? Was it a success? Is it well organized and well managed? Ask if someone would always be standing nearby or in the room where the quilts are displayed and room locked up after hours, etc. I would definitely insist on signing a waivier or some sort of official agreement that stated the value of your quilt or quilts, and the theater is responsible for safe keeping and costs for loss, etc...

Be sure to take good pictures of front and back (label) of each quilt you send for display. Dated pictures would be even better. Then, if needed you may want to check to see if you can insure them yourself for the length of time they would be out of your possession. Then if anything does happen (which we hope doesn't) you would still have recourse even if the theater has messed up some how.

Some of my guild members did this the the library.

We were assured by the city and the library that the quilts would be in a secure place for hanging.

3 quilts got stolen and the city does not want to pay. The ladies are going thru a horrid time to get $ back so they can re-do them.

The city claims that the ladies should have signed a form releasing the city of all obligations. No one signed anything so the city has to pay. The city only wants to pay $100.00 per quilt and the ladies are saying no way.

It's a nightmare for them and this was last Febuary,2010.

You must ask all kinds of questions and the main two are.

Who is going to pay for the quilts if they are stolen and what is the security like?

I've done other product displays, and have taken pictures of the items, printed them, and attached them to copies of an invoice with everything spelled out, drop off date, pick up date, description of item, cost of replacement, value, responsibility of the exhibitor against theft, damage, etc, had the manager of the event and myself sign two copies, I kept one, they kept one. I also had a clause that I could remove the item at any time.

I delivered right to the venue and spoke directly to the manager to arrange this. I would not deliver third person. I also stayed for set up to ensure safe handling. They didn't always like it, but I did stay.

If they have some type of clause that they are not responsible for theft, damage, etc. you will have to find your comfort level about leaving/displaying them. Visit the display the first day, and often. Trust your instincts and don't let anyone talk you into an 'arrangement' you may be sorry for later.

Will the quilts be able to be 'handled' or just for 'display'?

Your home insurance may have a rider about this, but you will have to check, as each company is different.

Think of what an antique furniture dealer would do, or a display of expensive jewels! This is not a dollar store craft piece!!

Good luck - This has worked for me, and has helped me decide if and when to leave my work for displays. Your serious approach to your products will impress the manager who may not understand the value of a quilt.

Hoping this will be a very successful event, and good luck with your display!

Joanne Flamand, aka wannabelongarm

Artistic Quilt Designs

The best intentions of all involved won't soothe your broken heart if some of your treasured quilts disappear.

I would tell them-- thanks for the thought, but you can't afford to replace these quilts.

No one but a quilter will know what is involved, so think long and hard about this. I wouldn't even go for the hand-off to someone else for delivery-- Joanne above has great advice.

I agree, our quilts are personal treasures. One of my blue ribbon and juried quilt was borrowed by our quilt guild as display for x mas party 2 yrs ago. I was shocked, the building was left unlocked and unguarded, so I stayed and watched.

Corey

Wow - all great advice here. Some points I wouldn't have thought of even. I'm with Linda, thanks so much but....

If you really want to, I would do it like Joanne said. Have all of your "ducks in a row".

Good luck, which ever way you choose to go.

If you do decide to do it, I would definitely have the contract idea, and keep the touchy feelies away somehow too. As over time this will degrade the quilts. Its good to advertise also! Security, signed contracts as to value and replacement cost, who is responsible and in their absence who will take the responsibility for your works of art--with no voids!!!!,display rules and signage..ie Keep-a you hands offa dis quilt see!!!!!LOL, and your ability to end it all if you see a breech of your rules occurring! Good things to think about. As they see how much you value your quilts, they in turn will usually sense the importance and add more case accordingly. Good Luck---grasshopper

I was curious about a play on Quilts, and found this article about a musical last year in Columbus area.

http://www.columbuslocalnews.com/articles/2010/12/25/multiple_papers/schools/seasonal_features/ytwoquilte_20101102_0113pm_3.txt

If you should find that you can loan your quilts for the performance, you would be opening up the quilting world to persons who might not ordinarily be interested. Plus, you might be the inspiration for another great quilter.

Just saying...

Here's another thought beyond the contract for the security/replacement of your treasured quilts--part of the contract will be that the set dresser(s) will remove the quilts nightly to a secure place. Quilts are so tempting to make off with--even in quilt shows with lots of security present. Just fold it up and off it goes! No one asks why someone is carrying a blanket....

My paranoia goose-bumps would give me the fits if the quilts were mine.

Archived