Sign in to follow this  
fineseams

Legacy vs QD, Hobbs, etc. wool?

I have just started quilting with wool - I used Pellon Legacy. I like it and want to buy more, but thought I would poll this group to see if anyone has an opinion of Legacy vs. the other brands.

I like the loft of wool, as it gives good definition on heavily quilted work without having to double the batting, so the quilt is light and drapes well.

What is your favorite wool batting?

TIA

Bonnie

(and Amazing Grace)

I have only used Hobbs and QD. Love QD -- do not like Hobbs

Sandra Guilbeau, M. Ed.

Denham Springs, Louisiana

APQS -- Sales.Service.Education

Certified Superior Threads Educator

225-715-5524 cell

QD is very definitely my favorite. But Legacy and Hobbs are pretty good.

Jane

Jane and Dave (Grasshopper) Brown APQS Dealer,Quilt Design,Piecing,Long Arm Quilting Custom Racks, Wall Hangers, L.A. Clips, Millie and Lenni front Laser Brackets, Sundries. www.countryquiltsncrafts.com Randolph, Wisconsin

I've used both the Legacy 80/20 and the Hobbs 80/20.

I like both---

I find the Legacy 80/20 a ever so slightly thinner, denser type batting as compared to the Hobbs 80/20.

After I have cut the size I need of either, I preheat the dryer, put the batting in the dryer with a couple of wet clothes and let it tumble for about 15 mins.

This "fluffs" up the batts, and takes out any creases.

I find it also adds more definition to whatever motif you are quilting out.

Note: I have found the Legacy 80/20 in a quilt that is washed after quilting does shrink more than the Hobbs 80/20. I'm not sure why.

I love QD products and their wool is wonderful. It is my favorite, but I can't seem to convince my customers to try it. They spend hundreds on their fabric and many hours piecing, and then cheap out on the batting. HUH?

Sandra Darlington

Darlington Quilts

2005 APQS Liberty, Circle Lord Enhanced

sandradarlington@aol.com or

DarlingtonQuilts@Gmail.com

Guest Linda S

I've used Hobbs (on the roll) and QD. I love them both. I bought a bolt of Legacy but haven't used it yet. I imagine it will be wonderful too. You just can't go wrong with wool, in my opinion.

I have used Hobbs and Quilters Dream wool (but not the Pellon Legacy). QD is a bit thicker. Both give nice loft to the quilting. For show quilts, however, wool tends to crease more than, for example, the 80/20 or even a 100% cotton.

I'm a QD girl through and through!!

djl17033, the only 60/40 I know of is by Fairfield. And I won't let anything with that name in my studio! I have had very bad experiences with Fairfield batts!

You also might try QD Blend. Love that one too. I think it is 70/30.

1B3534BF41043F3B69B8C0B1C537B688.png
APQS Millie aka Big Baby
www.linneamariequilts.blogspot.com
Sew Batik Associate #1361

I use QD wool in all my own quilts and have convinced several customers to give it a try and now that is a customer favorite. DO NOT prewash QD wool. I had some that was a bit wrinkly and washed it and it looked like a full grown sheep when I took it out of the dryer (only dried with air, no heat). That stuff was double the thickness of the original batt. I have since found that the wool will get rid of its own wrinkles if just left alone a day. By the way, it is a lot more difficult to quilt a full grown sheep. I have a quilt I have washed numerous times and air fluffed in the dryer with no heat and it looks as nice as the day I first quilted it. It also dries quickly just laying it out flat.

www.webshots.com/user/victoriasews

www.Fiberobsessive.blogspot.com

Innova and Intelliquilter