Do We Need Business "Policies" ??

The only deposits I insist on are those from out of state, until she/he becomes a regular customer. I do have a statement on my invoice that speaks to not picking up the quilt within 60 days of notification that quilt is done (and then I'd have to send a registered letter, etc). And so far my "problem resolution" method has been to IMMEDIATELY e-mail or call the customer and discuss whatever the issue is, be it too-small backing, wavy borders, or whatever. And this has worked very well. I make notes about these conversations and add them to the invoice so the customer at least knows I'm paying attention. And I keep a record of e-mails. I misquoted (less than normal cost) a batting to a customer but honored the misquote because I had e-mailed her the approximate cost for her quilt, with the misquote in the e-mail. I don't know if she noticed in the notes on the invoice but it made me feel good. To each his own. You do what you have to do to make your business run the way you want it to run. What works for me may not work for you.

Normal business practices should apply to the "small" business that is quilting for others. But as far as exposing your customers to a long list of disclaimers and conditions will leave them wondering why your business needs so much "protection".

The stating on the intake sheet about picking up a ready quilt in a timely manner is a good idea. But a long list of potential problems you may run into will only make the customer wonder what might happen to their quilt in your care!

Write up a list of policies that you can refer to, but only talk with customers about the ones that impact their quilt. It's nice to have a reference when you contact a customer about an issue---that way any state or federal law that you have thoroughly researched pertaining to small businesses can be confidently quoted. Your best recourse is knowing what is legal and also knowing what you can insist upon as a business owner.

Now wasn't that a preachy reply? Kinda makes you think maybe it's a case of BTDT, huh? Did I ever tell you about the customer who.........* nevermind*:P

You might want to have your own list of policies that you abide by. I've added to my list of dos and don't's as time goes on. These don't necessarily have to be stated to the customer unless it fits the situation. One of mine is to never accept another quilt in the shape of 2 one lady brought to me last year.

I've never had a problem with anyone picking up their quilt. Sometimes I will request a 50% deposit --kinda base it on my feeling about the quilter if I don't know the person and it is standard for the first quilt for someone out of the area.

It makes sense to have policies "just in case" and not posted at the door.

I'm thinking about a written statement about types of payment accepted, what if a check bounces (that happened to another LA'er multiple times with the same customer!), deposits - when needed and how much, and how long the customer has to not pick up a finished quilt.

A friend in retail said I should have these before a problem comes up.

Anyone already have this? Do you think we need to do this?

Thanks!

I always ask for a 50% deposit. No exceptiions.

I look at it like this. If a check is going to bounce, it's smaller, and you can ask for the entire amount in cash before delivery of the quilt. If the check bounces and I have difficulty collecting from my client. It is my option to return the quilt unquilted, their choice. If I get a client that bounces a check on me, I ask for all their transactions to be done in cash.

Getting the deposit does two important things.

1. I'm very motivated to make my delivery date.

2. The client is very motivated to be sure I get the rest of the money so they get the quilt back.

Keeps everyone honest and ontask.

• 1 month later...

Archived