Poinsettia as 10 Minute block

dancingstitcher

Thanks to Oma's posting of the 10 minute block I was inspired to make a wall hanging and after it was ready to put onto the longarm I decided to make a sample to do some testing. Liked it so much after the simple piecing I decided to go a step further and make it into something special at 10-3/4" x 10-3/4". I loved resurecting this twilling stitch from a candlewick project 23 years ago. Had to search in ten storage boxes to find the directions again. Decided to stuff the center and bead it to add a finishing touch.

Thank you Oma for getting me inspired again.

Vicki

post--13461905478798_thumb.jpg

Yes Carmen, the twilling stitch is done by hand as the outline of the poinsettias in two colors of 6-ply DMC cotton. Glad you guys like it and would be good for a Christmas quilt, a very small one. I did the hand work on the bus trip from Phoenix to Orange, CA for the Road to CA show.

Also my friend started me on a small sweater for the American Girl Doll. She's the expert and a great time to get a lot of tips on doing the pattern. The show sure was fun with some great quilts. We had a blast at the back of the bus.

Vicki

Yes Heidi and Georgene, I pieced the block like Oma did, similar to the Bow Tie though she called it the 10 minute block and I watched the video she referenced. All five squares are 5", 2 from a layer cake of fabrics my daughter gave me that were too light to use in my other wallhanging, two holly prints I already had, and a fussy cut poinsettia 5" square.

I laid the four out on the table, folded the red block in half and sewed it between the two left squares, then sewed it to the two right squares, and the third line was to sew the two halves together while opening the red one.

Then I made a paper template of the two sizes of leaves, traced them onto the block, added some borders to allow me to work with a larger piece in the hoop, and did the twilling stitch by hand. The added borders allowed me to put it on my longarm easily. I used my micro-drive handles for close work.

Vicki

Archived