Using Red Snappers for Side Clamps

Busy Quilting

I don't have my red snappers yet, but do those with them think they would be a usable alternative to clamp the sides of their quilt tops.

Make a mini casing say 12" long for each side. then have a 12" piece of the clip and rod to go over the backing fabric. All of this held by the hard to open Orange pony clamps.

I had been using the snap clip frame from my embroidery days to do this.

Or will there be too much weight in this?

Lyn

Lyn,

I just recently took a class from Sue Pattan and she uses something similar made from PVC piping. Someone in the class found the side clamps available at www.thecalicokitten.com. I intend to order some and give them a try as I have trouble opening the orange clamps on my Millie.

Sue.

I bought the Grip Lite clamps, too. Soooooo much easier to use and they hold a longer bite of fabric, so it stays more even. I never did like the clamps that came with my Millie. Too hard to squeeze open - especially left handed. The Grip Lite are lightweight too, so they don't pull down on the edge of the quilt. :)

• 1 month later...

Instead of buying the Grip Lite Clamps - I go to Bed, Bath and Beyond and buy the Oxo Good Grip Clamps at 2 for 4.99 - 20% off coupon = cheap + awesome! These are fabulous. I've used them for years. Long before the Grip Lites came out, the Oxo's were out and doing a great business...from me anyway :) They look almost the same. Good Grip Clamps have a hole in the handle to put in velcro or elastic...I have a combo velcro with a strip of elastic. They really hold well onto the sides of fabric due to the rubber strip on the inside. Check them out.

Debbie in Austin

• 1 year later...

I use the plastic that came w/bolts of fabric wrapped around them and made my own. They are very light and I love them. I just used the band saw to remove a portion of the round part and slip that on top of the whole round piece. Because they have such a thin wall they will break when stepped on but hey, I just need to learn to be a little more careful. They are 12" long and the top piece is 14 so it is easy to snap them apart.

Lyn, a couple of years ago I bought these from Target to use as side clamps. http://bananaseal.com/ They are a lot like the Red Snappers. After using them for a short while, I switched back to using my clamps from Quilter's Paradise that others have posted about. I think the bananaseal ones work better when you don't have a lot of extra side fabric as they don't hook up on the machine or base plate as easily, but the ease of using the Quilter's Paradise claims won out.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought renaes side clamps, if I did it again I would buy the biggest side clamps she makes. I only bought 12 inch. I probably will order them soon and just replace what I already bought they clamp pretty evenly and easily. I have RA and had some trouble in the very beginning but they eased up very quickly.

I love the Grip Lite clamps and use two on each side; I leave a small gap in the middle that I can get my machine through without removing the clamps. Renee's clamps are too long for this but I know people that like them as well.

I love the Red E Edge clamps from Renae Haddadin. I originally bought the 19" clamps, but there are times those are too long. I am thinking of buying two sets of 12" clamps when I go to HMQS. I love how they hold the backing really flat and straight the entire length of the side.

Are you counting or keeping track of comments regarding what may be ---or may not be a good side clamp? :)

If so, I vote for the "Grip Lite" clamps. I have two clamps on each side of the quilt. I've been using them for a long time and they have not lost any of their gripping function.

I don't know what the "gripping" part of the clamps is, I just know that I can literally grip a 1/4 " inch or even 1/8th" of an inch of edge of the fabric, and the Grip Lites will stay there! Holding the fabric taunt! They are easy to open too....So many side clamps are time consuming and difficult to open, and some don't hold well.

Or they are too big, or too small or whatever---Grip Lites fit the bill for everything.

Archived