How best to quilt diagonal crosshatching across the entire quilt?

Hi All -

Customer wants diagonal crosshatching, approximately 3" apart, across the entire quilt. I'm really not looking forward to a lot of ruler work, lots of starts and stops, and trying to keep the lines straight as I advance.

Any ideas on how to do this more easily? The quilt is 46" x 61", one large piece of fabric, so no piecing to follow to line things up.

I've thought about trying to load the quilt on the diagonal, and then i could do straights lines across one way, rotate 90 degrees and reload, and then quilt the remaining lines.

I also thought about loading regularly and just doing zigzags.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Julia

I'm just finishing a top done the same way. The top was small enough to load on the diagonal with a 108in. backing. I floated the top and pinned down the sides until I reached the center - then used channel locks to run from center out in both directions. Before I rolled to next area, I used the horizontal locks and did the same thing from center out as far as I could go. Lots of starts and stops but this top really didn't matter - it's for a friend's historical reenacting. I used Bottomline in top and bottom to show as little as possible. Anxious to hear if I could have done it an easier way! By the way, I don't have rulers etc.

Originally posted by carolinequilts

I did this once using Linda's rulers and they work great. Since then I got the Circle Lord boards. They cross hatch and 1" intervals, but of course you can do 3" too. Also the Circle Lord has the zigzag giant boards that this particular job would be perfect fore. But, you need the Circle Lord to use them..

Caroline, you would need the Circle Lord for the 18" crosshatch templates but would not need the Circle Lord for the zig zag giant templates or the cross hatch giant templates, you would just need the stylus.

I use my quiltazoid to do cross hatching. For long lines I just stop with needle down, advance and start sewing again. It is a pain to roll back and forth. I usually have an area to go around so I don't have to do too much rolling back and forth. I think if it is just straight lines I would load diagonally as you described and use my channel locks. Just put a tick mark every 3" and go for it.

Hi.

A Circle Lord long board will make it fast and easy for you. You won't have to hurt your wrists holding acrylic templates for hours and hours, like I did ONCE, or mark.

Contact Michael he can tell you wich would be best....there is one specifically for cross hatching, and another called ZigZag for neat waves, zig zags and CH'ing! Cool tools. Love mine. Makes all these jobs better.

Guest Linda S

Circle Lord boards are great and, if you have something where you need to start and stop for applique pieces and the like, you can mark the quilt with the cross hatching, then just use your ruler to follow the marks back and forth across the quilt by making really big Ms and Ws. No need to stop and start at the end of each line.

I did a bunch of these for a recently published book. You load the quilt at a 90 degree diagonal and then you just do straight lines. Turn the quilt and do it again. But you have to have extra wide backing and batting to accommodate the fact that the top is 'kerwhacky"--a technical word! You can figure out how wide by drawing the quilt on a diagonal on graph paper to see what the widest points are, if that makes any sense. Once you get it figured out, the quilt top loaded and secured with a couple of rows, it's super easy. Email me if you want more information.

Alayne Pettyjohn

City Quilting

Seattle, WA

Archived