Accounting software dilemma

Okay, so my accountant suggested last year for me to set my business up on Quickbooks. Yes, I procrastinated. I looked at Quickbooks Pro 2011 today and found online some not very good reviews. I looked online at the non Quickbooks software one specifically for machine quilters and was impressed with the tutorial but I also make and sell quilts and purses and didn't see where it allows for that information. Do any of you have Quickbooks Pro 2011 and have any issues with it OR do the ones that have the machine quilting accounting software also make and sell quilts and quilty things and found a way to implement this into that software? Everything I have is on paper and I'm needing to get it computerized for the accountant kind of soon (if you know what I mean).

Purchased a non Quickbooks program for my wife in her shop. It goes into great detail in the inventory and supplies. Tried it but was not what I was looking for. Purchased Quickbooks Pro 2011. Had to go back to June of 2010 and enter everything. I was looking more of a bookkeeping system instead of a very detailed program to keep up with all of the material, thread, batting and backing. This can be done on Quickbooks also, but I don't go into much detail on that. I think Quickbooks Pro 2011 is what I have been looking for. Once I had everything up to date, it is very easy to keep it that way. I also contacted a CPA after I entered everything from last year. Quickbooks has a program that will enable the CPA to access my computer and look at and make changes to your Quickbooks Pro 2011 only. The only time this can abe done is with my permission. She checked everything that I had entered and corrected some mistakes that I made while I watched on the screen. Quickbooks has people all over the US that are trained to teach or help you use the program. Of course, you have to pay for this service. mickeymac, DH of beckymac

I have used Quickbooks for three years. My CPA uses it so it makes it easy for me to transfer my data over to her computer to do her "thang" with my business stuff at tax time.

I really REALLY like Quickbooks! It is super SUPER easy to use and I totally love the reporting tools. I told my CPA I didn't want to get too complicated with my data, so I started with the KISS (KEEP IT SIMPLE) mode and it is a breeze to enter data, do all of my invoices and all that.

I use both Quickbooks Pro and quicken 7 for a couple of businesses I do books and taxes for. Quickbooks Pro has a little learning curve, but it is pretty easy to use, and your CPA will love you because that is what she probably uses. I actually prefer Quicken because it is a little simpler, but it doesn't give you all the reporting, etc. that Quickbooks does. Quickbooks is totally flexible - it will let you set up as many income and expense accounts as you need, so no worries about keeping your quilting, purses, and quilt sales separate.

I have no experience with software for a quilting business - my take would be that a more general program, like Quickbooks, would do the job just as well. Also, note that Quickbooks has a free downloadable "SimpleStart" version, so you could donwload it and try it out to see if you were comfortable with it. The Pro version has more flexibility and reports, but for a simple system, SimpleStart would probably work for you.

Urgggg don't talk to me about quickbooks today, I have just spent over 2 and half hours with their so called help line trying to do a simple task as upgrade my payroll subsciption (I am an accountant) I ended up having to reinstall the software!

Other than that I have used Quickbooks for me and for clients with no problems for over 15 years ! it used to be a cheap option, but am not so sure any more for me !!! However if the specific to quilters software was available in the UK, I would have set my quilting business accounts up on that !!!

Don't let my bad experience of today influence you, just venting !!! I just hate call centres.

Guest Linda S

I use the Machine Quilters Business Manager also and I love it. You can program (easily) in specific charges for whatever you make and sell. Enter your supply costs and then what you sell them for. I love the program. Makes doing my taxes fairly painless.

Well, after talking further with the CPA, I decided to give Quickbooks Pro a try. He told me one of their employees is a wiz at it and to call her with questions instead of the company. Thanks for all your input. I guess if this doesn't work, then I have a back up option with the other program.

Guest Linda S

LOL - Cindy -- having been an employee for over 32 years, I'll bet that employee just loves her boss having people call her all the time for training tips. ;) I'd kill the bugger. Good luck to you. I hope it works out well.

If you are familiar with Quicken and would like to use it, just set up a separate Quicken file for your business. When you start Quicken you will have to tell it which file you want it to work on, but that way your business and personal info are completely separate. I keep our ranch business and our personal business with Quicken - both on the same computer.

• 5 months later...

I don't have a quilting business, but I have used QuickBooks and more recently QuickBooks Pro for our farm accounting for more than 15 years. I have been very happy with it, and I can make it as detailed or general as I want, depending on what I want to keep track of. I would suggest having an accountant help you set up your record keeping system and getting started with in the beginning. After that, it is very easy to use. The entry screens look like commonly used forms, ex: a check blank, so are easy to fill in. Good luck!!

If you choose Quickbooks, go to Lynda.com. That is a website devoted to tutorials on how to use darn near every computer program ever invented. The first few lessons on each program are free and then you pay after that. In that way, you get to see whether you can learn from the instructor. I love her programs. The classes start off treating you like you just landed on earth and really have no idea what a computer even is!! Its perfect for me!

Archived