Judge says my back is not tight enough

Were there any pleats? If not maybe just a smidge tighter. If there were pleats, then probably tighter yet. You know that judges have kind of a guideline to follow on each quilt - at least one good statement and then one area that could be improved. My area for improvement has always been my binding. If you don't see that much wrong with it, I wouldn't worry about it unless you want to continue to climb the quilting Diva ladder into bigger and bigger shows. I'm sure that there are others here that can answer that question better than I did, but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth. :cool:

Originally posted by PattyJo

Were there any pleats? If not maybe just a smidge tighter. If there were pleats, then probably tighter yet. You know that judges have kind of a guideline to follow on each quilt - at least one good statement and then one area that could be improved. My area for improvement has always been my binding. If you don't see that much wrong with it, I wouldn't worry about it unless you want to continue to climb the quilting Diva ladder into bigger and bigger shows. I'm sure that there are others here that can answer that question better than I did, but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth. :cool:

I have no tucks or pleats!

Someone along the way told my the side clamps only need to be tight enought to hold the quilt and not to stretch it.

Dell, I wish these judging comments were a little more explicit !! But you have to just take the comment as "one person's observation" another judge in a different show might not even comment on the back being tighter..., but instead the other judge might comment on something completely different! It's 6 or half a dozen.... ya just never know. Marilyn Badger has won BOS with a quilt and not ribboned at all with the same quilt in a different show. It's a crap shoot...

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Dell, I wish these judging comments were a little more explicit !! But you have to just take the comment as "one person's observation" another judge in a different show might not even comment on the back being tighter..., but instead the other judge might comment on something completely different! It's 6 or half a dozen.... ya just never know. Marilyn Badger has won BOS with a quilts and not ribboned at all with the same quilt in a different show. It's a crap shoot...

Yep! I know, but I want to improve. BTW I still love the whole cloth you posted!!!

Originally posted by delld

Someone along the way told my the side clamps only need to be tight enought to hold the quilt and not to stretch it.

This is absolutely true! You should only clamp the sides with enough tightness to "suspend" the quilt on the sides. Never ever never never pull with the clamps.

Like I said... don't read too much into these comments. You will never figure it out. Just take it as a comment and be mindful of your back in the future... ??? Don't lose any sleep over it.

None were wash or blocked. Maybe I should do that.

Yes. Try doing this (blocking)

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

This is absolutely true! You should only clamp the sides with enough tightness to "suspend" the quilt on the sides. Never ever never never pull with the clamps.

Like I said... don't read too much into these comments. You will never figure it out. Just take it as a comment and be mindful of your back in the future... ??? Don't lose any sleep over it.

You know I can't complain. This was my first show since my millie arrived 3 years ago this July. 2 first, 2 second and 2 3rd and 1 honorable mention AIN"T BAD!!! LOL I'm almost embarassed!lol

Yeah yeah yeah... :) Not bad at all!! :) You should be proud!

Keep putting your quilts in shows. It's all healthy competition. it's fun! And in the big scheme of things, by entering quilts in shows, you are one person of many that are perpetuating and supporting and influencing the success and positive culture for the quilting industry as a whole. It's all good!!! :)

Dell,

A judge is telling you their opinion - and each judge is different. Just use it as a learning experience and keep on!!

I saw a quilt in a major show that won BOS and it still had the blue pen markings on it and the quilting on the border was not even. But the applique was excellent as well as the binding -- I was told the judges, at this show, weighed heavy on the flatness of the quilt, how square and the binding. So each has their prejudices.

If they had to look to back to find fault - you are doing well!!!

Jane

Originally posted delld

You know I can't complain. This was my first show since my millie arrived 3 years ago this July. 2 first, 2 second and 2 3rd and 1 honorable mention AIN"T BAD!!! LOL I'm almost embarassed!lol

Nope...that ain't bad at all! I have yet to enter a show. Although I will enter 2 quilts in california this may for a guild show. That is scary enough for me. You did very well and should be proud. Don't let that little comment get you down. ;)

Dell,

Can you post a photo of the back? Maybe we can see what the judge meant.

I try to use a multi-colored busy pattern for the backing fabrics -- solid or tone-on-tone backing fabrics are much less forgiving, showing puckers, shadows where the back isn't taught, and thread build up.

As far as the side clamps go, I pull them just tight enough so that there are no puckers underneath. When I advance the fabric, I use the motorized fabric advance. Then when I get where I want, I stop and loosen the front roller bar just enough so that the back is not tight. Then I also loosen the quilt top roller bar until it lays flat on top of the quilt sandwich. Then I use my hands to even out the top, if needed.

Dell, after our last quilt show (400+ quilts) the judge sat down with us and told us that:

1. Bindings were her pet

2. When all quits that were held over from a group were judged (on her sheet) she then just picked the ones she personally liked best.

Example:

I had an art quilt that got perfect scores. Actually above perfect becasue they had +++++++ and was held over. There was another that got ok scores that was held over. It got a blue ribbon and mine did not even ribbon. I got the sheets and looked at them and that lady even had some suggestions to improve. Mine did not. It was the judge's opinion. You can't take what they say to heart because they are only one person.

Dell,

I'm not sure why the judge would l put that unless they saw evidence of some pleat areas, maybe just ripples not yet pleats but close? My guess is that if you had washed and blocked it it would take that away. Without seeing the back it is hard to tell. Like Shana said it is a crap shoot. On my last show quilt, the blue one, I've had judges say there was too much contrast and another say there wasn't enough! LOL I didn't place at several shows and then won Best of Show at another so there is no telling exactly what a quilt will do. Learning from the comments is a really good thing but don't obcess about it. I roll my quilts a little tighter than some and on the side clamps they are pulled out so that the backer is smooth, no ripples or stuff like that.

I agree, I had a quilt in the Mid atlantic quilt festival that did not place but the only negative comment was that my quilting starts and stops should be neater (I bury all of my knots) and they did have several compliments on the comment sheet. However, my customer's quilt that I quilted won a blue ribbon...same quilter on both so who knows? Just keep trying and you never know...

Thank you all for you guidance. Someone shared their strap thoart with me at the quilt show. i finally went to urgent care today and now I'm really loaded with meds. When I feel better I'll put up some pictures!!

Thank you everyone. I'm cold and I'm here in Florida with sunshine and warm temps and I'm freezing! Darn and I don't even feel like quilting. Our guild retreat is yep this Friday. day after tomorrow. I'm praying hard to feel better and get rid of the FEVER!!!! I do not want to share this mess with anyone!!!! Glad germs don't travel the internet. All Stay healthy!!!

Originally posted by Primitive1

THose antibiotics work wonders, you should feel better by Friday!!! Have fun!

Thanks I hope so. I started a quilt for my grand son last year at the retreat for his graduation in MAY 2011!

I think I have 1200 pieces cut for it~ I need to get busy!!!

I'm drinking hot tea and honey!

Hope you are feeling better soon, Dell--and this is all selfish on my part--don't be postponing your visit!!

As for the judge's critique--sigh--as others have so wisely noted, it's all subjective. But it still is taken to heart by the quilter, of course.

My thoughts? HOW did the judge determine you needed a tighter backer? If you can't see any puffiness or puckers, I'm at a loss right alongside you!

I scribed at Innovations for a judge and her comments were homogenized, (as in--Binding should be full of batting and corner miters should be stitched closed--she didn't comment--binding needs work--she was specific and straightforward, but not hurtful) direct (Seam lines should be straight) and sometimes of a personal-preference type (blocks need more contrast, or-use of orange very effective) But nothing was ever noted as to WHY something was not perfect. She never said--backing should be tighter. She would have said--fullness or puckers present on back side--and let you decide what caused them.

So the comment you received seems helpful but may not have been the reason for the issue. If the backer was pieced, that dreaded easing of one fabric could have caused fullness on one side of the seam, which may or may not have been the problem. If it was a one-piece backer, who knows?

Obviously I am over-analyzing this ;) and I hope the comment, if it stings, won't deter you from forging ahead!!

Archived