Mille seems to slow down when stitching

I sent an email to Amy yesterday and haven't heard back; plus I called APQS and left a message just a short while ago. I'm having MAJOR issues with my machine right now. I'm working on a panto and it seems like my machine will slow down/stop stitching for a second or two resulting in big stitches. I've tried everything I can think of:

- Cleaned the wheels

- Cleaned the tracks and carriage

- Checked all electrical connections

- Checked the encoder wheels (made adjustments to both and they're sitting as close as they can to the M&M wheels)

- I even changed the fuse where the power cord connects to the head.

Nothing has seemed to help. I went down earlier this afternoon and started quilting; got one pass done without any problems (working on "Dusty Miller" panto). Went to do the second pass and the problems kicked in.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Should I just wait for Amy to call? I had a problem last fall with the stitch indicator dropping from 12 - 0 and took my machine in for repairs. Everything seemed fine until the beginning of the year when I had this same problem described above ... but it only happened a couple of times and then stopped until last week.

Any help you can give is appreciated.

Thanks.

Patti

Without standing right there, I can only guess. But there maybe something in the circut board that is acting up. Again I am only guessing here, but I would wait for Amy to call you back. They are in a training program today so it will be later today or even tomorrow before someone can get back to you.

Patti,

My millie was doing the same thing last October/November. I contacted Dawn and Amy, tried everything that they said to do. I ended up taking my millie head to Carroll, Iowa for Amy to go over. She did alot of things, but new circuit boards were put in. What a difference that made. My machine stitches like a dream.

I am sure that Amy or Dawn will get back to you. But my guess is that you will have to have the head serviced.

Good Luck.

Can you tell if it is happening in only one direction? either side to side movement or front to back? If you checked all connections and they are good, then my guess would be either boards or a possible break in a wire. I had this happen several years ago and it turned out to be the wire on the back that goes from the carriage regulator to the machine. When the wire got stressed, the connection was briefly interrupted and I would get a long stitch.

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd give you an update on what's going on with my Mille!

Got in touch with Dawn a couple of days after I posted. She had me check a few things to see what could be "off":

1. Checked motor brushes ..... they were okay

2. Blew out dust from sensor that sits in front of motor.

3. Made sure encoder wheels were adjusted properly.

4. Cleaned out bobbin assembly.

After I did all that, I seemed to do okay .... until last week. I started noticing the the slowing again with the big stitches. Sent an email to Dawn and Amy asking for their advice. Tried working with it by adjusting the carriage encoder box, cocking it a little bit to the right to see if it would correct. I did notice, everything seemed fine when I stitched front to back, but when I went side to side it wouldn't stitch. Once I had the box "on point" it seemed to do okay for a couple of days.

Talked to Dawn this past Monday and she seemed to think it might be that the encoder wheel needed replacement. I received the new wheel today and just finished putting it on. Didn't help...so I sent another email to Dawn with a picture of the wheel. It doesn't seem to be sitting right ... if I hold the M&M wheel, the encoder wheel just spins. I've moved the encoder box in (toward the rails) as close as I can get it....seems like if I could move it 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch in further it might make some contact!

Quilted Charm: You asked if my machine was new ... no, I've had it about 9 years now.

Just hope I can get this cleared up soon ... I have 37 quilts I need to get finished before the end of this month!!!!

Patti

Patti,

You should be able to get the encoder wheel close enough to the M&Ms to get good contact - don't know why it's not moving close enough. One thing I have done with older machines (not with the M&Ms) is to take the encoder box off the axle and use a skinny round file (I know there's a technical term for it, but I don't know it off the top of my head!) and extend the slot that governs the travel of the wheel bolt. It doesn't take much - like you said, all you need is just a fraction of an inch - and then you should be able to get your encoder wheel close enough to make good contact.

Patti and Barb,

Once my husband put on my ER wheels he had to file out (lengthen) the slot my encoder wheel sits in as well to make better contact.

Now I feel my problems are a stretching of the cable that goes into the encoder wheels as minor incidents only occur when the carriage is at the extremes of its travel.

Lyn

First, I want to say "Dawn Cavanaugh ROCKS!!" Dawn was so helpful to me with trying to figure out my issues with the Mille. After several different attempts to correct the issues (i.e., checking the wiring in the encoder box and even opening up the top of the machine to switch encoder channels) I still couldn't get the Mille to work properly. I also looked back over my service invoices since April 2009 and it seems every six months or so I was having to take it in for one issue or another. (The machine is over 9 years old and gets used 5-6 days a week, nearly 8 hours a day).

So I made the decision to trade in my Millie and have ordered a new Freedom machine. I will be heading down to IA to pick it up later this week! I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself. I think I'll work on reorganizing my studio and getting it all cleaned up for my new baby!

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

Patti

www.quiltsfromthetrail.com

Archived