What's everyone working on?

It's Monday!:D

I didn't touch the machine Friday, Saturday or Sunday and it felt good to get back to it today.

I'm working on a panto for a client today and I have two fairly large wall hangings to do next and then . .

I'm real close to publishing two of my own patterns. One is already pieced and needs quilting so I hope to get that done maybe this week!

The second pattern . . the directions are all written out and I need to test the pattern, quilt it and get pictures made of both and I'll be ready. Ready for what?? I'm not quite sure but it's an interesting step for me.

Wish me luck!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Judy

I didn't get as much done as I would have liked this weekend either.

Right now i'm finishing the meandering on a baby quilt with a "puppies" theme, finishing the border on a pink and white nine-patch twin, piecing my next baby quilt with Peter Rabbit wandering around it and cutting out a new table runner for inventory for my Christmas sales. Too many ideas and too little time.

And I'm expect three new orders within the month.

Debbie

Quilted-Joy:)

New patterns to publish? You GO girl! That is way cool.

I've been doing a lot of piecing lately. Working on baby ducks II, amoung the geese. A second baby quilt for one of the faculty here. This one is arranged differently and has a flying geese border in it. I like it better than the first.

I attempted to quilt an applique wall hanging this weekend which was a total disaster, so I will be piecing some small appliques on which to practice. If I'm really this bad, I'd best think about listing the machine on Ebay. It would break my heart. :-( For now, I'm blaming it on the poltergeist who turns my stereo on in the middle of the night. :o

Linda

Don't even talk that way! It takes practice. Some people practice for months and months. With the S/R, it is all much easier than it used to be but there are still movements and techniques that need lots of practice.

You don't even have to applique a real quilt. Take a piece of muslin and get a simple shapes coloring book. Draw some of the outlines of the shapes . . pumpkins, trees, boats . . anything you might see that interests you. Pretend it's applique and do the same stitching you would if it were real applique.

You don't even consider giving up yet!!!:mad:

This was the weirdest thing. I have one of the Constantine Quilts Applique Rulers -- you know, the guide that fits around your hopping foot and you can grab hold or one side or the other and help guide the hopping foot where you want it to go. On the muslin, I drew lines, both curved and straight, with a blue WS pen, drew a star and a moon, etc. I freehanded a couple fine. I took the ruler and tried to follow them exactly -- did terrific! I thought. Hey! Piece o cake! I can do this. Put that quilt back in and it was like driving the quilt into the ground. I just can't figure it out. I'm praying it was just a nightmare.

Linda

Linda S., all of us have thought about ebay from time to time. You simply had a bad day, the next one will be great.

I'm taking a landscape art class and am currently working on the first piece of a series of 4, an ocean scene. It's stretching my skills and I love it. The downside is that I'm not playing with my LA, Bella Baby. She certainly is addictive.

Geez, not much..life gets in my way...or rather I LET life get in my way. Jenny Matilda just sits there patiently waiting for me to come up and play with her. She's such a sweet thing! Like so many others I expect to do Judy L. work right off the bat and it ain't happin'!!! Makes me wonder about my abilities. :( Keep telling myself that I'll get better but of course that would mean actually turning her on and doing something.

I have a small quilt that I'm working on for my oldest granddaughter....at the speed I'm going it may be done when she graduates from high school......she's a freshman! Since all of my company the last part of August I just don't have the energy to do much else besides the usual mundane tasks around here. Think I need a pick-me-up of some kind.

Judy, I wish you tons of success with your patterns. I know you will do great. You are such a talented lady!

Audria and I are going to Des Moines October 14th and 15th to take classes and I am really looking forward to that. I hope I retain what I learn!!

Well, I think I will head upstairs and see if I can do a little bit of something...piecing or practicing.......hmmm, which will it be? Guess I'll decide when I get up there.:D

It's a wonder I am working at all with my head spinning round with thoughts of an upgraded machine. Spent way too much time on the computer searching for used machines today.

But, my sewing room (mobile) which was being redone is almost completed and looking great:-) It will be so nice to have the LA and all my sewing stuff in one area. I am busy with customer quilts, seems business is really picking up to the point where I may have to schedule my own quilts in there somewhere. Haven't had time to do any piecework but am halfway thru three different quilts. Taking a class on NewYorkBeauty next week so am anxious for that one.

And biggie, I no longer get nervous about taking customer quilts. My ladies have all been delighted with the work and returns are coming in. I decided after two QFH last month that I can handle about anything, VBG.

Mary in CA

You're all being very nice when you say you want your work to look like my work but I want every one of you to read every part of this e-mail!!

1. You're only seeing pictures of my work and you're seeing your work up close and personal! If you saw my work right under your nose, you'd be surprised. It isn't perfect!! It's a long way from perfect and there's rarely a quilt I take off the machine that I don't look at and think "what if they don't like it?" or "I wish I had done this . . or that differently".

2. When I started machine quilting 5 or 6 years ago, I didn't know about the longarm groups or the pictures online . . and then I found Sherry Rogers! But I tried to make everything I did on the longarm look like it would look if I had hand quilted it. I rarely did meander or pantos. If I had seen all the awesome work that's at the shows and internet now, I know I would have given up. My work was AWFUL! Every single one of you is doing better work as a newbie than I did. My machine was a clunker and I was winging it . . everything I did . . I didn't have a clue what was good or bad or right or wrong.

3. When I post a picture of something, it's because I'm thrilled with it and I want to share. I don't ever want anyone to compare their work or abilities to what you've seen me or any other old timer do.

4. There are some (probably those without APQS machines :P) who will be doing newbie type quilting five years from now because they aren't determined to work til they get it the best they can do. There are others (you with APQS machines :P:P) who are newbies now that will be winning awards and ribbons and teaching at the big shows in no time at all.

Here's what you all keep saying to yourselves: Where there's a will, there's a way and practice makes perfect.

I am not an artsy quilter. I do traditional things . . give me SID and feathers and I'm in quilting heaven. There are others who are really artistic and do fantastic quilting that I can only dream of doing.

Don't compare yourself or your work to anyone . . not just in quilting but in everything! So, please, all of you . . practice, practice, practice. Never give up . . find your niche and do what you enjoy doing.

You know, if everyone remebers that learning to ride a bike (wayyyyy back when) was a painful experience, then you can do this! Yes it takes practice (just like driving and parallel parking), and a wee bit 'o time, but once we "become one with the machine" it should become old hat. Remember, if it were just a matter of getting the machine, everybody would be doing this (and believe me some have tried). But I know that I have tops piled up, and I will practice on muslin, then try one of my uglies (it couldn't get any worse) before I try dancing on anyone else's quilt.

Def Leppard says "you put the glide back into my stride" and APQS tells us it is that easy. Relax, use your fingertips to guide the machine. You got the stitch regulator...what more can they do for us?

Relax, go with the flow, and enjoy the learning process. We all love drooling all over Judy's prize winning quilts, we should be challenged to practice and then to be proud of a job well done.

Thanks, Judy!:D

I also haven't been able to spend much time practicing and quilting as I would like. But this weekend I did get to spend a few hours both days. I loaded a wall hanging cheater panel piece by Daisy Kingdom called "Cat Attack-On Duty" (it was clearence price and next to free). What I liked about the panel is it had a cute cat, large flowers, grass, a checkerboard and ground. It gave me enough elements with large spaces to practice different types freehand designs. The printed pictures on the panel gave me enough dimension to guage size, shape, direction, etc. My main goal was to develop confidence and skill in smooth stitching and creativity with freehand work. I kept reminding myself to keep it simple with the anaology we all had to learn to walk before we could run. I can a noticeable improvement from the first few practice pieces and small tops I did. Even though the individual stitch designs are simpler, given that there is such a variety, the overall look of the quilt looks more detailed. Without even realizing it, I was deciding what to do in one area and came up with an idea. Today, there was something about that sitching pattern that was ringing a bell with me. I took out one of Darlene Epp's pocket guides and sure enough, it was one of her filler designs! I guess somethings are being absorbed and retained. My biggest difficulty was diagnol stitch from left to right. So even though my project was small, it definitely was sweet! Next, I am going to move on to a lap quilt with real seams and imperfections! I have alot of my own quilt tops to work on which really takes the pressure off and perceived need for perfection. I plan to work my up by size and complexitity. I really appreciate all the information, ideas, tips, and support from others on this list!!

Thanks to all.

Nancy :)

I'm a newbie. My Millennium was delivered a week ago. I was about to post today aking for some encouragement. I've been practicing A LOT with the pantogram that came with the machine and other continuous line designs and have the pantogram down really well. Feeling confident I tried something new and disaster!! It's just so hard to get smooth curves and stop at the points and not loop around. I'm so impatient wanting to do a very good job -having seen some bad stuff out there -and your post was really encouraging.

I decided this weekend to baste one of my own quilt tops for hand quilting - trouble once again. I always piece a design on the back of my quilts. I think I've figured out how to get the design centered on the back but would appreciate any tips. I can use all the help I can get :)

I'm going to Des Moines on Oct 18 for the Beginner class. Would I be too out of my league to take the intermediate class while I'm there?? Any body else going to be there then?

Thanks again, Judy. We all need an 'atta boy' now and then

Barb

Judy couldn't have said truer words. I have had my machine eight months now--hard to believe! There were times at first that I was in tears wondering what I had done, why had I wasted so much money, I'll never be able to do this, etc. I would work at something, see that my work wasn't as good as experts whose work I admired, decide I "couldn't do it." My daughter heard me moaning and asked why I thought I could do it without practice. I realized that I was expecting to do something perfect with less than 10 minutes of practice, when these experts I admired had been working at it for years. I realized, how dumb was I :P!! I also like very traditional quilting, and my feathers weren't "perfect." One day I noticed on a close-up of an expert's quilt, that not every feather was a perfect feather, but the whole quilt was just magnificent. I have done no LA'ing for the past week, as I was getting ready two wall quilts to turn in to our local quilt show today, labels and sleeves, etc. One is a applique/pieced quilt that I hand-quilted, but the other is a wholecloth trapunto quilt that I did on the longarm (feeling very brave to actually show something I did on it :)!) Not every feather is perfect, but when you look at the whole quilt, I hope it is not too obvious! Anyway, I don't expect it to win anything, I was just pleased to create something that I wasn't too ashamed to let people see!

And Linda, don't despair over one quilt. Like Judy said, it very well may be the batting, or the material. I've had some battings and some fabrics that just were impossible to quilt decently :P, even with my DSM. You might try doing it on your DSM, if it will work on that, and just get it out of your hair and your house, so you can get back to bonding with your baby!!

Practice, practice, practice, and realize how unfair it is to compare your work with those who've been LA'ing for five years. Hopefully, they would have improved in that many years, and we all will, too!!

A friend of mine gave me five quilt tops to practice on. I'm just about finished with quilt #2. I'm doing SID and practicing feather wreaths plus feather borders. I'm using the Hartley Fence to make the circles for the wreaths. It's looking pretty good!! I love doing feathers :) My next area of practice is stippling and background designs.

Judy

One of my students volunteered to let me quilt her quilt for practice...

I had to smile, and think about what someone else had said about people volunteering so they wouldn't have to pay to have the job done.

I told her that she may want to rethink that plan after all the hard work she has put into this sampler. "Let me work out the kinks on my own projects before I think about your offer..."

I don't expect to turn out "JUDY Quilts" right away, but at least I have a goal to strive for! I'm thankful for everyone out there who shares their knowledge with those of us just learning!

Well, fortunately the nightmare quilt is gone. I frogged out the stitches and returned it to my sister yesterday. I'm back to happily quilting on my practice muslin. I'm almost done with a baby quilt and have started cutting out a fairly simple quilt that I thought I would donate to Operation Homefront Quilts, so I'll see how I do on quilting those. I'm not planning anything too ornate, just some simple meanders or pantos and maybe a border here and there. I certainly hope I don't run into the same troubles. Anyway, I'll have total control over the fabric and the batting.

By the way -- the Poltergeist turned the stereo on again last night. This time at quarter to 1 in the morning! It's getting so that I'm scared to go up and shut it off! :o I'm going to go get a power strip to plug it into and shut that off each night. If it turns on after that, I'm MOVING!!

Linda

Well, the ghosts had a party again last night. I'm putting in a surge protector tonight and flipping the switch off when I come down the stairs. If it comes on again, I'm totally unplugging it. If it comes on after that, I'm MOVING OUT! :o This IS getting just a wee bit creepy.

Linda

This customer wants perfect custom quilting on a not near perfect quilt. I finally called them yesterday and had the hubby come in to talk about it. He was willing to make some changes but still requests some quilting that will be a nightmare. But at least I did my part and explained all the pit falls that could occur due to the quilt (not in my control), and so I feel much better about it.

I would have never been able to even attempt a quilt like this (being king size with so much custom work) if it hadn't been the help and support from Judy L and Sherry R. They are truly wonderful people.

As for your patterns Judy, that is so COOL!!! :cool::cool::cool:And I happen to know a quilt shop who may some interest in carrying your patterns, you'll have to let me see when you are done.

Off to quilt the green monster.

Well..the night before last when I said that I was going up to either piece or quilt I got as far as the front hall and saw a flashlight at the front door......it was my in-laws coming to see Jenny Matilda. By the time they left it was too late to sew.

SO, yesterday I woke up with the resolution in my head that TODAY I WILL SEW/QUILT! Ha..got upstairs and the dreaded overcrowded closet called to me. Five large trashbags (yep, 5..count 'em) later that are destined for donations and 2 trashbags of junk, I finally got that puppy cleaned out!:o I was one tired old woman. When I started cleaning it out I was just throwing stuff out the door...decided to take a break and I couldn't get out of the closet!!:D Kinda paniced me!! But that is a job that I have put off for so long and I am ever so glad that it is done.

I am going up to sew/quilt now and nothing is gonna stop me!!

Linda S., I know that there has to be a logical explanation about the music turning on by itself, but I think the hair would be standing up on my head!! I tend to be a little spooky anyway. Good luck with that one.:P

O.K. Everybody,

This happened to me recently, so now I can pass it on!! (I won't mention any names, Sherry R.) LOL

One of our own just had a Birthday on the 14th. (name removed) is just a spring chick.... Lets all wish her a Happy Birthday!!!!

I was out of the office and I hope this wasn't done and I missed it! sorry if I repeated anything!

Hope you had a Great Day Linda and many more!!!!!

Connie

APQS Service Mgr/Tech.

Archived