What's everyone working on?

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a few things - but one that came out really nice is a panto. The pattern is the Carpenter's Star and I used the Double Plume panto that comes with the machine.

Here's the webshot link

http://community.webshots.com/photo/242451662/242458520QbNEcJ

It was my first panto piece and I'm pretty proud of it.

I also did a quilt called diamonds are forever - that I practiced using a ruler. Not bad for a beginner. I loaded that photo up but it's not displaying...maybe next time.

Kathy A

Newbie : )

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been cleaning my sewing room. Sorting, PURGING, organizing. It's amazing what I'm finding, and how I'm getting inspired all over again. The books are now indexed according to type, and it's SO much easier to find what I'm looking for. I took digitals of all the covers, and then sorted them into categories in my computer. Then I printed out "Index" sheets for each category. Now when I can't find a book, I can just flip through the laminated sheets to find which category I put it in. Don't laugh!! :D I keep changing my mind on which category some of them should be in, so that's where the confusion comes in sometimes.

I've doubled the size of my cutting/pressing table and it's heaven! I thought I didn't have an extra inch to spare, but I found a way and now have lots of under-counter storage too.

My batting "scraps" have all been measured and labeled according to size; the same with the muslin and backing pieces. Now I can see at a glance if I have the right size for the project at hand, OR if I need to enlarge a batting, I know if I already have a piece that will do the trick. I also came to the conclusion that I do NOT have to keep all the little pieces to clean my rails. I'll never clean the rails that many times in my lifetime!

My notions drawers have all been gone through and now I KNOW I have safety pins, and lots of them! No more hunting when I need one. That drawer is labeled Pins/Needles. My label machine has run out of tape!

I've gone through the WHOLE house and made a list for each room of things that need to be done or that I want to do. Then I had hubby go through the list and put his name beside the ones he would do. That got rid of 1/4 of them. ;) Now when I have a few minutes to spare, I just look at the list and pick a quick one. Last night I got one end table full of drawers, and 2 bookcases cleaned out just on commercial breaks while watching TV. These 5 minute breaks keep me feeling motivated.

NOW all I have to do is get hubby to transfer another 25% of the list to HIS list! Good Luck! :P

If this is supposed to be quilting related, I've also sewn and quilted FOUR King size quilts since the end of October. ONE of them is actually on OUR bed!!! :D

Back to my list. It's finally snowing, the roads are icy and I'm not going anywhere today!

I MAY post a before & after picture of my sewing room. That should motivate anybody!

Darlene

:D

Heidi, I LOVE the quilt you designed. It looks very complicated, and the flow of colors is just wonderful! You might think about publishing that one. I'll be the first in line to buy it!

Kathy, the Double Plume pattern is perfect for the Carpenter's Star quilt. This pattern isn't used nearly enough, IMHO. What color of thread did you use?

I've been stitching up a few rows of some patterns I have in stock, and have come up with some new favorites. I used 3 of them on my Christmas Gift quilts. They're quick to quilt, and add wonderful texture.

1. Petaluma by Meredith England - Very quick and easy. Gives much better coverage than I expected.

Will have to add pictures of the others in next posts as I can't figure out how to add multiple pictures in one post.

post--13461897608327_thumb.jpg

2. Baroque Hearts by Keryn Emmerson - MUCH easier to quilt than I expected. Usually hearts are difficult, but this one just seems to flow. I didn't take a picture of the pattern on the quilt, but this pic is on muslin and helped me decide to use it on the finished quilt.

post--1346189760843_thumb.jpg

Guest Linda S

Heidi - very nice job on that quilt! I like the colors and you did a nice job on the quilting. That's a great first effort. Congratulations to you!

Linda

Greetings,

Thanks for the encouragement/feedback everyone. Heidi - I'm a newbie too and couldn't agree with you more. Quilting with an APQS System is awesome.

For a prior question - I used a medium brown on the double plume panto so the quilting would be more pronounced but still subtle on the light background and would melt into the star pattern.

Right now I'm moving on to a fully custom table runner. I'm working on the patterns now to make sure the turns/corners of the borders come out right. That takes alot of time.... It will be simple. Hope to practice on muslin Saturday morning and quilt the runner on Sunday. I have a class at the LQS Tuesday to do a stack-n-wack and hope to do a little show and tell with my friends. I'll post once it's complete.

Thanks again for your responses. It's truly appreciated.

Kathy

New Liberty Gal :D

Hi Kathy,

Baroque Hearts is a roll pattern designed by Keryn Emmerson of Australia. You can see it on this page of my web site.

http://www.longarmsupplies.com/KE%20A-C.htm

I was very pleasantly surprised at how easily it quilted up. Keryn is a great designer and usually includes a corner turn with her patterns in case you want to use them as a border pattern. Some of her patterns also include a coordinating block pattern.

Darlene

I finished a small project this weekend. :P Of course took me forever but I loved every minute of it. I have a question for those more experienced.

(1) I am concentrating on SID. Do you turn the quilt to make sure your straight lines are continuous?

(2) When working on borders - is it the same way, turn to get consistency and minimize start and stop points? Even when doing continuous pattern like a vine with leaves?

That is how I did it. Worked out fine but took longer?

Thanks,

Kathy

• 1 year later...

Hit the Reply button (not quick reply). Type your message, then scroll down a bit and you'll see a Browse button. Click on it and it will bring up a screen where you can browse your own computer to find the picture you want to insert. Double click on the picture and you should be good to go.

Please resize the picture to about 600 pixels before inserting it or it will be too large to see.

Archived