Steam and Starch

lakequilter

Can someone tell me how the steam and starch method works or point me in the way of directions? I have what I call a 'bless your heart' quilt (it needs many blessings) and I need many blessings to try to get it square! Lots of slack in this one. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help, I have emailed Bonnie about purchasing the dvd.

I am not sure entirely how the starch and steam method works, but when I use starch, I spray starch on full blocks when on the frame, and use my hairdryer to dry it and it shrinks right up !!!! Didnt work so well on prewashed fabrics though as that had already shrunk in the wash. I dont have my steam iron near my frame so cant starch and steam !!! one warning though, dont let the end of the hairdryer touch polyester wadding!!!! it melts !!! ask me how I know !!!

:):):)

I think you need to ask Bonnie how to do it the starch and steam way.

Bonnie Botts, on this forum, has a dvd you can buy from her that demonstrates the techinique. Since she has the video for sale, I don't feel its right to describe the method on the forum. If you do a search, you can find where to get the video. She shipped me mine very quickly, and it has been very helpful. Taming one wild quilt is enough to make the dvd worth the price.

Guest Linda S

I don't starch while on the frame, but I will steam things back into shape. It works pretty well. I use starch when piecing or doing pieclique.

Originally posted by Janette

I am not sure entirely how the starch and steam method works, but when I use starch, I spray starch on full blocks when on the frame, and use my hairdryer to dry it and it shrinks right up !!!! Didnt work so well on prewashed fabrics though as that had already shrunk in the wash. I dont have my steam iron near my frame so cant starch and steam !!! one warning though, dont let the end of the hairdryer touch polyester wadding!!!! it melts !!! ask me how I know !!!

:):):)

I think you need to ask Bonnie how to do it the starch and steam way.

I love this - very creative and one can never have enough 'fix it' techniiques! Thank you,

Archived